ToneBoosters E.Q.4

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
TB Equalizer v4

This is a big workflow improvement over EQ v3! A suggestion: EQv3 showed notes and frequencies. It would be nice if v4 also did, perhaps with cents and a higher resolution mode to take advantage of the larger GUI. But the note/Hz could be together in the window with the EQ parameters (rather than note top/Hz bottom as in v3).
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

A couple more workflow enhancer requests:

1) Found that mouse wheel acts on node bandwidth, but it's a bit too "fine" for me, I'd like a wheel sensitivity option (especially for non- shift wheeling)
2) It would be great to be able to limit gain to, let's say +/-12db or +/-6db, it's too coarse now given the available vertical estate

Moreover, any chance to have back different colors for different bands?
Of course just mostly taste things, but they would help a lot usability - for me at least :)

Thanks,
Mario

cturner wrote:
imrae wrote:Does it have the RenaissanceEQ-like "Shelf 2" and asymmetric "Digital bell 2" from TB EQ 3? Flx 3 didn't if I remember correctly.
“Shelf 2” is there, but the peak filter is symmetrical. With 16 filters, maybe no need to make it asymmetric.
That's a pity. Asymmetric bells aren't about having odd shapes; it's a workflow enhancement. Allows you to have a sensible default Q for both cutting and boosting, so you can just drag into place.

I bought it and played with it a bit today, initial reaction is a little disappointed TBH.

- Some color in the analyzer, this feels sparse in the extreme
- Limited options for the AI settings
- No option/control + drag to change Q
- Labels are needlessly minimalistic, there is enough space to label things clearly

I know none of those things have anything to do with the sound, but EQs are a tough space to compete in, and I’m often going to grab whichever is the easiest to accomplish my task. (Either EQ8 or Pro-Q2 or Burnley 73)

I’ll play with it more, try to find what it’s sweet spot is, what it’s best at. I love TB stuff, so I’m sure I’ll learn to love it, but it’s tad underwhelming at the moment.

I see that most of the comments are feature request or shortcomings of the plugin but it's 30$. For this price I'm not expecting a full featured like Fabfilter Pro-Q2.

andrei.tuduran wrote:For this price I'm not expecting a full featured like Fabfilter Pro-Q2.
I prefer Toneboosters over Fabfilter 8)
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Forgive me. But what are the new features?
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

djeroen wrote:

- Headroom and noise floor should be significantly better in v4
- Parameter changes (by automation or manual) will not product any zipper noise (in contrast to v3)
- All dynamic options (downward compression, upward compression) are not available in v3
- v4 supports higher-order filters (not available in v3)
- v4 has external side chain input (not available in v3)
- Workflow in v4 is significantly better than v3
- Resizable GUI (not available in v3)
- Percentage EQ also works with LP and HP filters (not available in v3)
- Multi-channel support (not available in v3)

v1o wrote:Forgive me. But what are the new features?
Note that external side chain input are only supported in VST3 & AU. So if one upgrades from FlX 3 (FlX 4) VST2 and can not use VST3/AU that should be worth reflecting on.
Last edited by Kr3eM on Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

imrae wrote:That's a pity. Asymmetric bells aren't about having odd shapes; it's a workflow enhancement. Allows you to have a sensible default Q for both cutting and boosting, so you can just drag into place.
Perhaps the omission of asymmetry is a trade-off for zipper-noiseless automation, or the dynamics of compression/expansion?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Michael L wrote:
andrei.tuduran wrote:For this price I'm not expecting a full featured like Fabfilter Pro-Q2.
I prefer Toneboosters over Fabfilter 8)
Same here. I like Barricade 4 alot and it does what its suppose to do and for the price is a steal.
Equalizer 4 it's really good for its price. :tu:

dangayle wrote: - No option/control + drag to change Q
Actually mouse wheel over the node changes Q. Though, as I reported, it feels a bit slow, would like a more coarse control (without shift)

- Mario

Is there a way to keep the interface size permanent ?
Professional technicians are assessed by the abilities they possess.
Amateur technicians are assessed by the tools they possess - and the amount of those tools, with an obvious preference to the latest hyped ones.
(Gabe Dumbbell)

andrei.tuduran wrote:I see that most of the comments are feature request or shortcomings of the plugin but it's 30$. For this price I'm not expecting a full featured like Fabfilter Pro-Q2.
Even if it was free or 5 bucks, without that FR it's really just another EQ I don't need or want to use, at this point any EQ I would even consider must have that feature, it's 2018, stock DAW ones are just as good.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

^^^ Even if we think only about price: EQv3 in Track Essentials 3 (€20), FIX EQ in BusTools 3(€40), and EQv4 (€30) each have unique features. Most FRs are only asking to include some features from the other EQs into EQ4 :shrug:
Last edited by Michael L on Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Return to “Effects”