DDMF Plugindoctor

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I meant app, but yeah.. Same idea.

Compyfox wrote:Like I said, Christian Budde is sadly not around this place anymore. But he'd definitely have something to say about that. My personal spin: it's 1kHz because how (easy?) it can be built in hardware form.
Because a) it's easy to remember and b) you can nicely spot it on a linear scaled grid :lol: Take whatever you want. I prefer 980Hz on 44.1kHz SR since this will result in a nice integer number of samples per period.

I'll buy it at the weekend. I've been searching a long time for such a tool with a nice interface and multiple measurement methods. And since it comes from DDMF I'm sure there will be more options added in future updates.

I suggested a feature I hope he implements: one-click save all screens. I want to run my Nebula 4 library through it so I have reference plots to refer to but it would be a lot of work to do manually. so a one-click to export all screen shots would be really useful.

EDIT: see this post - http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic ... 9#p7012489

So if I run Plugindoctor on MJUC Mk3 default settings I get this for linear analysis:

However, if I run a sine sweep and take the delta I get this:

Here's confirmation that my sweep+delta is probably correct (mostly) for filters with non-linear phase response:

A second test of my methodology:

(test_signal + -processed_signal) + -test_signal

Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dreamvoid wrote:
I get this with McDSP ML8000 - doesn't seem right. Any explanations?
I've just checked the demo version of the McDSP ML8000, and while it reports a latency of zero samples to the host, it actually creates 55 samples of latency. Hence the "wrong" phase display (which is actually correct, since, with an uncorrected latency, this is what you get).

Robert Randolph wrote:So if I run Plugindoctor on MJUC Mk3 default settings I get this for linear analysis:
Two simple solutions:

1) raise the calibration to 0dB, because the test signal (what you call "delta") fires at maximum signal strength in PluginDoctor, so does the sine wave for the THD+N

2) activate istage for a "flat response" (also see the tool tip of the compressor)

3) realize that a compressor is not an EQ and that you won't always get a flat response

Also.. please explain for the other viewers (incl myself), how you create a frequency plot like with PluginDoctor in Voxengo SPAN (Free), but with a sine sweep? It's not conclusive what you actually did
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Compyfox wrote:
Robert Randolph wrote:So if I run Plugindoctor on MJUC Mk3 default settings I get this for linear analysis:
Two simple solutions:

1) raise the calibration to 0dB, because the test signal (what you call "delta") fires at maximum signal strength in PluginDoctor, so does the sine wave for the THD+N

2) activate istage for a "flat response" (also see the tool tip of the compressor)

3) realize that a compressor is not an EQ and that you won't always get a flat response
These aren't really solutions, because it appears that Plugindoctor is showing the wrong response.

I'm not interested in a flat response from MJUC, I'm interested in the _actual_ response.

Compyfox wrote: Also.. please explain for the other viewers (incl myself), how you create a frequency plot like with PluginDoctor in Voxengo SPAN (Free), but with a sine sweep? It's not conclusive what you actually did
I did explain it partially at the bottom of my post, so I will elaborate:

The routing is as such: (test_signal + -processed_signal) + -test_signal. With - being a polarity inversion. The test_signal is a 1minute 10>22khz sine sweep.

You can set up the routing with sends if you want, but I just do it with Reaper I/O pins.

I then setup Span to the largest FFT size, with the "Max" type. This records the maximum bin values for each bin and displays it as such.

I've used this many times for frequency analysis, and I've found that it's spot on with AP testing on identical devices (except some inaccuracies near the low end, obviously). The result does need to be normalized though, but in this case only the relative values are of concern.

Here is a digital loopback ran through REW with MJUC at the same settings, this is much more accurate:

Red is a -18dbFS sweep. Green is a -3dbFS sweep.

This is about on par with the Span analysis, except for the obvious spectral resolution difference at lower frequencies that disguises some of the low-end bump.

I'm fairly certain that Plugindoctor's linear analysis is incorrect in this case regardless.

Last edited by Robert Randolph on Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

I don't think Plugindoctor is showing an incorrect result. It seems that said plugin has a highly nonlinear response to transients so it makes a noticeable difference whether you are measuring with a delta peak or a sine wave. They are only equivalent if the plugin's response is strictly linear.

Robert Randolph wrote:These aren't really solutions, because it appears that Plugindoctor is showing the wrong response.

I'm not interested in a flat response from MJUC, I'm interested in the _actual_ response.
I tried it with my usual methods of testing, and PluginDoctor shows the correct plot readout. The trick is to change the reference level of MJUC. Then you get similar readouts you have with your REW plot.

Robert Randolph wrote:I did explain it partially at the bottom of my post, so I will elaborate:

The routing is as such: (test_signal + -processed_signal) + -test_signal. With - being a polarity inversion. The test_signal is a 1minute 10>22khz sine sweep.

You can set up the routing with sends if you want, but I just do it with Reaper I/O pins.
That does sound overly complicated if you ask me. If it works for you, great. But there are (way) simpler ways.

Robert Randolph wrote:This is about on par with the Span analysis, except for the obvious spectral resolution difference at lower frequencies that disguises some of the low-end bump.

I'm fairly certain that Plugindoctor's linear analysis is incorrect in this case regardless.
Again, can't confirm drastic offsets happening here.

Proof:
Test Signal (WAV, *cough* "Delta Peak") -> Lightbridge Signalizer (resolution: 16384 samples)

MJUC_Test_01.PNG
MJUC_Test_02.PNG

versus PluginDoctor (normal resolution = 16384 samples) and MJUC mk3 mode (default settings, 0dB as reference)
MJUC_Test_03.png

It's all down to the scaling of the plot it seems (notice the first plot having a measured "bass boost" of 10dB, while the other plots all have a boost of about 3dB!). And the right settings on the plugin considering the input signal strength for measurements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
[ Mix Challenge ] | [ Studio Page / Twitter ] | [ KVRmarks (see: metering tools) ]

Anyone else find that Klanghelm's DC8C2 crashes PluginDoctor on switch to Expert mode, or I think setting threshold in any mode?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Compyfox wrote:I tried it with my usual methods of testing, and PluginDoctor shows the correct plot readout.
I did a quick setup, viewing an impulse going through MJUC Mk3 into BC FreqAnalyst, and I get results much closer to Compyfox 's than the posted sine sweeps displayed in SPAN.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

docdued wrote:I don't think Plugindoctor is showing an incorrect result. It seems that said plugin has a highly nonlinear response to transients so it makes a noticeable difference whether you are measuring with a delta peak or a sine wave. They are only equivalent if the plugin's response is strictly linear.
Aha. That is the case.

Thanks.

Another test with MJUC mk3. This time, at 0dB ref and Istage activated

Once more: WAV -> Lightbridge Signalizer
MJUC_Test_04.PNG

And direct comparison with PluginDoctor
MJUC_Test_05-istage.png

Reason (directly from the tooltip)
"Istage mode: enables the interstage transformer, which is located between the GR-stage and final amp stage. Alters the tone and the characteristics of the compression. Helps to keep the lowend more intact. Also lowers the noise of the unit"

Yes, the device is highly nonlinear - it's a compressor after all. So measuring "what's going on" isn't necessarily easy and eyes can fool you. If all analyzers would use the same UI size/scale/zoom mechanics, then comparing the results would be super simple. But were it so easy.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Compyfox wrote:Another test with MJUC mk3. This time, at 0dB ref and Istage activated

Once more: WAV -> Lightbridge Signalizer
MJUC_Test_04.PNG

And direct comparison with PluginDoctor
MJUC_Test_05-istage.png

Reason (directly from the tooltip)
"Istage mode: enables the interstage transformer, which is located between the GR-stage and final amp stage. Alters the tone and the characteristics of the compression. Helps to keep the lowend more intact. Also lowers the noise of the unit"

Yes, the device is highly nonlinear - it's a compressor after all. So measuring "what's going on" isn't necessarily easy and eyes can fool you. If all analyzers would use the same UI size/scale/zoom mechanics, then comparing the results would be super simple. But were it so easy.
It seems more so that my error was largely due to only checking with a sine sweep instead of also checking with an impulse response.

I should really sleep before I delve in to these things. Clear mental error on my part, and I updated my posts with a link to the correction.

BTW, thank you for sharing your analysis as well. :tu:

This is fab, thanks Christian!

Return to “Effects”