What do you like in filter plugins? (if you like filter plugins)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

For sound design I use the Uad moog the most it's just musical but it can go nuts if u want it.The Drop its also fabolous but the Uad wins in sonics big time the drive its really seriously engineered

What I like...

- A range of filter shapes
- Low CPU
- Easy to use
- Ability to automate cut-off

I'm liking... Fabfilter Micro, Kilohearts Filter or just automating Pro-Q 2. Aiming at getting The Drop one day.

My buddy has UAd Moog and I dont. I dont like that

Fabfiltwr Volcano has all the right features, needs an update to the algos to bring it up to current best as Cytomic stuff.
dedication to flying

Seldomly used. These days mostly with quite a bit as distortion and/or filtertypes other than the usual lpf / hpf. u-he Runciter works well as a kind of distortion effect. Zebrify, if it can be considered even though it's an FX version of the Zebra 2 synth, has some interesting filtertypes and modulation possibilities.

Volcano 2 rocks. I am having some fun with WOW 2 also.

toonertik wrote:
robotmonkey wrote:Mostly I like fake scratches on the gui.
Unfortunately none of the filter plugins I currently own do not have such a feature.
Oh, so you missed this one then.. ok, not a filter but an eq.. a freebie..
download/file.php?id=15226
but scratches too easily... after just 1 week it now looks like this
https://img3.picload.org/image/dalaolwr ... q550_2.jpg

from
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=501467
robotmonkey wrote: Filter plugins I have and occasionally use are Ohmygod, BiFilter, Filterbank3 and the filter plugins in the Air Creative Collection. I use them mostly for treating samples, creating fx, occasionally fixing some sound flaw and sometimes I also use them on synths instead of the built in filter.
Yes... Ohmygod issued on CM is now freely available.. FXExpansion, I think!
BiFilter also came on CM from Tone2, creator of the free FireBird synth.
Filterbank3 .. is that by Wok, who did the original Filterbank and Filterbank2? been using them for years.
robotmonkey wrote: Ohmygod - great fx comb filter, comes free with CM.
BiFilter - good simple filter with lots of different filter types. Got it free with some magazine.
Filterbank3 - good for fx, has decent modulation options for creating movement, same huge number of filter types like in BiFilter. Also was free with some magazine.
Air Vintage Filter - a simple classic analog type filter that sounds pretty decent. There's also a Filter Gate that I haven't used much. Both were part of the Creative FX Collection + that I got for 15$.
No I actually grabbed a copy of the Overloud EQ. I just haven't had time to install it yet.

Ohmygod is made by Ohmforce. I think you can also download a copy from their website if you have any other Ohmforce plugins.

BiFilter and Filterbank3 are both made by Tone2. Filterbank3 is basically a more complex BiFilter with all the modulation options and extra delay effect. If I remember correctly BiFilter came with CM and Filterbank3 with Beat but I might be incorrect.
No signature here!

acousticglue wrote:My buddy has UAd Moog and I dont. I dont like that
The Arturia ones especially the matrix one could go quite complex. If u don't like the Uad u will not be bothered about the hw it's Sub 37 filter.

Also a decent representation of the mods you are doing. Almost like waterfall visuals. Being able to modulate lower frequencies from higher or splitting the two separate of high low pass but move a slider or two and modulate more than one span of frequencies. I personally dont need midi. Panning in the areas of modulation

There's that itch again, I guess I'll buy this one soon :)
https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-filter3/

Behaves like a MutronicsMutator (minus gate-mode atm) but has some improvements like automate both cutoffs at the same time. (one knob/macro)

- WonderEcho -

Envelope followers! :tu:

Self oscillation ability in filters (during high resonance), or rather oscillation ability without incoming signal. Like use filter as signal generator from scratch. (Scamp, FilterFreak, freeware Sweep)
robotmonkey wrote: BiFilter and Filterbank3 are both made by Tone2. Filterbank3 is basically a more complex BiFilter with all the modulation options and extra delay effect. If I remember correctly BiFilter came with CM and Filterbank3 with Beat but I might be incorrect.
What interesting Bifilter has some points which lack in Filterbank - filters category called "analog" in his filters list, which has oscillation ability, exactly about i wrote above. In Filterbank3 this category was removed once, by some reason (though in fb3 user manual this filters type still described like exists) but saved in bf. A strange circumstance, pity indeed, it was interesting generate random oscillation textures.

I use Filterfreak (rhythmic and fat), Filterscape (deep modulation), LFOtool (MIDI triggerable), Filtershaper (easy envelope), and a bunch of multi-effects (Zebrify, SerumFX, CamelSpace, Multipass, etc.). Then there's stuff like SpecOps.

A good filter plugin implements:
* Good filters, from clean digital to dirty analog, interesting/experimental ones, comb, multi, etc.
* Multiple filters, configurable routing (parallel, serial, feedback, etc).
* Good envelope, AHDSR at a minimum, with curve adjustments,
* A very good envelope follower, with threshold and hysteresis control,
* MIDI triggerable, can detect gate and note off (so ADSR release can work).
* Sequencers, MSEGs, rhythmic templates, Euclidean rhythms, make it interesting and useful.
* Lots of modulation sources, env, LFO, ramp, audio input, audio input level,
* Everything that makes sense to be modulated can be modulated,
* Smooth modulation for automation.
* Fun extras at developer's discretion, as long as it doesn't get in the way of its primary purpose. Bitcrushing, distortion, etc.
* Good preset browser.
* Preset location is customizable, and user preset location can be set independently.
* Plugin file location is customizable, plugin external resources as well.
* Does not need to be connected to the cloud to work. Portable would be nice.
* Low CPU.

SMH wrote:Envelope followers! :tu:
Topped off with a helping of boost for a little snap.

Return to “Effects”