MSpectral Delay

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
MSpectralDelay

Neon Breath wrote:Surprised there's no feedback yet on how MSpectral Delay sounds....

Ultra smooth washes, crystaline delays, metallic fragments, or just a subtle delay with a little spice... This thing is NUTS ! :o
indeed ...
loving the delay time options as well ...

I thought it ok, not going to replace anything for me though. Nice freebie no doubt, although I would get it free anyway.

experimental.crow wrote:
Neon Breath wrote:Surprised there's no feedback yet on how MSpectral Delay sounds....

Ultra smooth washes, crystaline delays, metallic fragments, or just a subtle delay with a little spice... This thing is NUTS ! :o
indeed ...
loving the delay time options as well ...
yes! Thanks Melda!

Super creative, way way more than just a 'delay' actually.

I just made a quick walkthrough. I didn't have much time to plan this, so I just decided to go through some presets and explain some of the functions. At least this should give you an idea of what it does.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OTKe8ROyow

Chandlerhimself wrote:I just made a quick walkthrough. I didn't have much time to plan this, so I just decided to go through some presets and explain some of the functions. At least this should give you an idea of what it does.

Very helpful, thanks for this and your other videos, reducing a fairly sharp learning curve to a subtle gradient :wink:

shonky wrote:
Chandlerhimself wrote:I just made a quick walkthrough. I didn't have much time to plan this, so I just decided to go through some presets and explain some of the functions. At least this should give you an idea of what it does.

Very helpful, thanks for this and your other videos, reducing a fairly sharp learning curve to a subtle gradient :wink:
No problem. I'm glad they're helping.

Ooh, this is amazing! Especially for a freebie!
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

mike_the_ranger wrote:
VariKusBrainZ wrote:
mike_the_ranger wrote: Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset.
I think Cpu drops when the Gui is closed, might be wrong
I thought the ui rendering is hardware accelerated. Besides that the melda gui really doesn't look like it needs lots of processing power :D
Just had a quick play, sounds very good.
No unwanted distortions.
Super light on CPU compared to other spectral plugins.

CPU does indeed decrees by about 3% when the GUI is closed, even with GPU acceleration enabled. GPU disabled adds another 10%.

On my 8 year old i7 Win10 64bit CPU is maximum 3% and doesnt really go much higher.

The only other spectral delay I have installed is iZotope Spectron.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Not 100% sure I understand the Feedback vs. Transform vs. Level graphs from the tooltips in the plugin/the manual.

From what I can tell, Transform iteratively applies the standard Melda frequency/volume spectral transformation to each delay repeat.

Feedback controls the relative feedback for each frequency in a subtractive manner, i.e. the default graph is everything at 100% which means the spectrum decays evenly.

Levels seems to be a way to arbitrarily remap feedback, so that quiet signals can have a higher feedback ratio than loud signals? I find this really hard to visualise (a 'volume vs. volume' transformation in a way).

Guessing there's quite a lot of interplay between the feedback, transform and level graphs, i.e. changing one will have a downstream effect on how the other graphs manipulate the signal?

EDIT: Definitely worth engaging the internal limiter while messing around with these haha!

gentleclockdivider wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:
elassi wrote:Still wondering why NI stopped selling their Spectral Delay.

Aphex twin released an entire ep with nothing but spektral delay on it.
LOL , it could have been any program that does fft .,
Metasynth for example
It very well could have. But it was drenched in spektral delay. The metasynth bit was only where the face got plastered into the spectrograph of the equation song. Window locker and the equation joint were basically remixes of existing tracks with lots of fun Spektral Delay on it. The timing and the stuff the guy said all line up. There are lots of other fun fft effects out there since always.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Ah_Dziz wrote:
mike_the_ranger wrote:
Ah_Dziz wrote:Is anybody else getting unwanted distortion in the low frequencies when "transform is set to anything above 0%? I'm guessing it's a windowing thing (sounds like it) maybe causes by frequencies that are close to 50/50 in neighboring bins. It gets a bit quieter when the fft size gets cranked up but it's still there. I'm pretty excited about this thing. It's not nearly as CPU friendly as the old spektral delay from NI, but it's pretty damn flexible when you throw in all the modulations.
Yes distortion is audible here too. Sorry but it takes 20% cpu with the init preset. That's way too high compared to other spectral delays! Also I notice artefacts in the higher frequencies (like mp3 codec noise).
Yeah. I'm getting pretty high CPU consumption on my system as well. It's more along the lines of 10% of a core. I got it as high a 50% with huge fft sizes just as a test, but I won't generally be using sizes over 2048 except for sound design where I'll resample and deactivate the plugin anyway. I'm more concerned with wacky distortions and such at pretty simple settings. The MP3 type loss of high end is less severe when the "keep above 20k" is on. When that data is tossed out the brick wall style drop off of frequencies becomes very noticeable when doing any downshifting. I don't recall any of the other Melda fft based plugins being as CPU hungry as this one. I guess I should check out the v12 copies though. It's possible that all the plugins are a bit more processor heavy. All in all though, Mspectral delay and spec ops combined make up for all the other plugins that have been abandoned. I'm still mad about spectrumworxdying off and NI canning spektral delay, but there's not much that it could do before that I can't do now on my own with these two plugins.
The "level" bit of the transform section appears to be a kind of spectral waveshaper (with the levels of input bins remapped to different output levels) that's where the distortion was coming from. Remapping that to a straight ramp cleaned up the sound immensely.
Don't F**K with Mr. Zero.

Does Melda still drop files in your Windows folder ? I've avoided installing his plugins for this reason even though I have a license for MReverb. :?
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Shows up as a demo WTF.

Russell Grand wrote:Shows up as a demo WTF.
You need to download the license file from your account.

Return to “Effects”