Best Amp Sims

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Scuffham S-Gear by far. Coupled with some great IR's like from Ownhammer and you got yourself some wicked tones!

Burillo wrote:
jens wrote:Oh, and another favorite of mine is the PA Chandler.
+1, once you get your head around how it works (it's mostly power-amp distortion as opposed to preamp distortion), you're in for a treat.
I dig it too, after I got the Plugin Alliance Chandler & Bassdude, I kinda stopped looking for amp sims. Also love NI Guitar Rig's Jazz Amp (solid state Roland JC-120) for both guitar & bass. It can punch, boom, slice right through, and spread your sound all around with stereo chorus/vibrato.

I haven't found a dedicated bass amp sim I truly love compared to my SansAmp pedal or Gallien-Krueger amps.

My favorites are Kazrog, TSE X50, and Revalver (internal vst loader is awesome!). Again, a key ingredient is having some quality IRs!

X50 and Kazrog are my favorites though. Mostly for metal but man, they rock. I have heard good things about PA stuff too but haven't delved.

I also recent acquired Blue Cat Audio Axiom but haven't had enough time to dink with it yet.

Blue Cat Axiom/Destructor is becoming my favorite the more I use it and understand how it works. It isn’t really an amp sim in the traditional sense, but it still sounds and responds better to pick attack than the vast majority of typical amp sims IME. The learning curve is entirely worth it.

I still have the Kazrog suite, but I’m using it less overall.

Like real amps it's horses for courses. I suppose I'm a bit different than most in that what I'm looking for is a good jangly, slightly fuzzy indie sound, rather than yer out and out rokk/metel sound a lot, and (shock horror...) what a lot of people would think is a 'great tone' for metal/blues based rock is of little interest usually to me - except when I want to annoy the neighbours and play some metel for a bit of course.

All that said, I especially like the following at the moment;

TH3 Free - nice Fender
Kuassa Vermillion - great emulation of a beat up combo amp
Plug & Mix Magic Queen - put the 12 string through it after a bit of compression... :love: :love:

Tappistry wrote: it still sounds and responds better to pick attack than the vast majority of typical amp sims IME. The learning curve is entirely worth it.
Vast majority of amps full stop, I would say....
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

It's only mono I believe, but free.
Voxengo Boogex
http://www.voxengo.com/product/boogex/

Sorry for the necro, but I've been playing around with GR5 lately after selling my AxeFX .. and I have been getting some pretty good high gain tones putting Cytomic's The Scream in front of it. Seems to be much higher quality than the built in GR5 overdrives, or at least it responds much better - just thickens things up nicely. Between this and free sims I will probably sell my Bias FX license too :)

I got the basic Bias amp 1 and 2 thanks to the Focusrite collective. Both sound great. Very much like what an actual amp sounds like.

The Kuassa stuff is so so to very good depending on what type of sound you are trying to achieve. Two I have from Audio Assault are strictly a buzzy flat metally tone.

They're all ok, more or less and depending on what goal you have in mind. As many others have mentioned here, the only thing I'd suggests is to stay away from Bias, particularly if you use Windows.
I myself use a Kemper for real recordings, but when I want something quick to sketch out an idea, S-Gear is usually my weapon of choice.
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

generaldiomedes wrote: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:20 am Sorry for the necro, but I've been playing around with GR5 lately after selling my AxeFX .. and I have been getting some pretty good high gain tones putting Cytomic's The Scream in front of it. Seems to be much higher quality than the built in GR5 overdrives, or at least it responds much better - just thickens things up nicely. Between this and free sims I will probably sell my Bias FX license too :)
Cytomic's Scream is absolutely THE BEST tube screamer plugin, period.

Figured this is as good of a place as any to post this. Kazrog is gonna be upgrading Thermionik in summer of 2019:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYMuC4itnJs

donkey tugger wrote: Mon May 21, 2018 3:30 pm Like real amps it's horses for courses. I suppose I'm a bit different than most in that what I'm looking for is a good jangly, slightly fuzzy indie sound, rather than yer out and out rokk/metel sound a lot, and (shock horror...) what a lot of people would think is a 'great tone' for metal/blues based rock is of little interest usually to me - except when I want to annoy the neighbours and play some metel for a bit of course.

All that said, I especially like the following at the moment;

TH3 Free - nice Fender
Kuassa Vermillion - great emulation of a beat up combo amp
Plug & Mix Magic Queen - put the 12 string through it after a bit of compression... :love: :love:
Don't know why but all the Plug & Mix amp sims sound all the same to me... Please try if you have also the others! :-)

Mercuriall's stuff is awesome. I happen to think very highly of Positive Grid, and I don't really ever see Torpedo mentioned much.

https://www.two-notes.com/en/wall-of-sound

Perhaps someone should condense all these proposals to
THE ONE LIST OF AMP SIMS.
That would an easier read...

Return to “Effects”