The Waves Update Plan scam

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

whyterabbyt wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
chk071 wrote:I wished peeps would stop announcing "scams" when all that is happening is that they're unfamiliar with companies' business plans. TBH, i feel scammed by thread titles like that. ;)
If it's not a blatant scam then what is it ? Good business practice ? Hardly.
How is it any more of a scam than any of the other methods by which companies charge money for updated versions?
Or are you claiming that Waves are unique in not providing updated versions forever for free?
I didn't say that, its about the WUP being for version changes, V9 to V10 in the latest case.

All V9 plugins I have are as up to date as V9 goes, I need the WUP to go to V10, so why is there a difference in price to renew the WUP based on how long you've owned the plugin ? Maxxbass is the same for me as it would have been to someone who bought it last year, yet to renew their WUP would be something like $6.50, for me is over $20. Yet is the same plugin, same version, we'd be paying for the same V10 version.
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

LeVzi wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
chk071 wrote:I wished peeps would stop announcing "scams" when all that is happening is that they're unfamiliar with companies' business plans. TBH, i feel scammed by thread titles like that. ;)
How is it any more of a scam than any of the other methods by which companies charge money for updated versions?
Or are you claiming that Waves are unique in not providing updated versions forever for free?
I didn't say that, its about the WUP being for version changes, V9 to V10 in the latest case.

All V9 plugins I have are as up to date as V9 goes, I need the WUP to go to V10, so why is there a difference in price to renew the WUP based on how long you've owned the plugin ? Maxxbass is the same for me as it would have been to someone who bought it last year, yet to renew their WUP would be something like $6.50, for me is over $20. Yet is the same plugin, same version, we'd be paying for the same V10 version.
You don't have to pay for the v10 version.

Just don't pay wup on it. It's really simple.

rob_lee wrote:Just looked in my account they want $254.80 for an update plan to use plugins I paid quite a lot for.. note to self: should have read the small print before buying in to the Waves malarky

So Iv'e got all these below wasting away in my Waves account..

But you can still use your out-of-date plugins, right? Nor do you have to update all of them, or do you?

Robert Randolph wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
LeVzi wrote:

But thats my point I DO want to update them all to V10 , I dont have many thankfully, but some are like less than $10 to renew, but maxxbass is $22.50 , I asked them, they said some are more expensive than others. Only because the WUP was out of date longer. But the V9 version numbers for them all is the same.

Robert Randolph wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
whyterabbyt wrote:
LeVzi wrote:

But thats my point I DO want to update them all to V10 , I dont have many thankfully, but some are like less than $10 to renew, but maxxbass is $22.50 , I asked them, they said some are more expensive than others. Only because the WUP was out of date longer. But the V9 version numbers for them all is the same.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
rob_lee wrote:Just looked in my account they want $254.80 for an update plan to use plugins I paid quite a lot for.. note to self: should have read the small print before buying in to the Waves malarky

So Iv'e got all these below wasting away in my Waves account..

But you can still use your out-of-date plugins, right? Nor do you have to update all of them, or do you?
The problem is that my Waves plugins are v9.2.0 and the current Waves Central installer is version V10.0.0.3 so my plugins would only work on a legacy version and Iv'e already tried installing the Waves Central on Sierra 10.13.5 and it's a no go for me..

Waves Downloads

https://www.waves.com/downloads

rob_lee wrote:The problem is that my Waves plugins are v9.2.0 and the current Waves Central installer is version V10.0.0.3 so my plugins would only work on a legacy version and Iv'e already tried installing the Waves Central on Sierra 10.13.5 and it's a no go for me..
I don't understand what you've done there. Are you saying you downloaded the legacy version of Waves Central (Version 9) and that doesn't work either?
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote:
rob_lee wrote:The problem is that my Waves plugins are v9.2.0 and the current Waves Central installer is version V10.0.0.3 so my plugins would only work on a legacy version and Iv'e already tried installing the Waves Central on Sierra 10.13.5 and it's a no go for me..
I don't understand what you've done there. Are you saying you downloaded the legacy version of Waves Central (Version 9) and that doesn't work either?
Yep don't work on my mac OS at all here. Got no time to mess about with this stuff to be honest I'd rather just use other stuff. No big deal tho :tu:

Well done blaming Waves instead of Apple. :tu:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

WUP on individual plugins is pretty crazy considering all you're paying for is compatibility updates. I don't think any other company charges you the kind of money rob would have to pay for his WUP without providing you with some significant new features. You may still run into a situation where the old, unmaintained version stops working and you have to upgrade, but at least you get something substantial for your money. I guess WUP is the catch for the otherwise great deal of getting almost anything in Waves' catalog for $29 if you're willing to wait a few months. Personally I'd rather pay more and not have to worry about this nonsense, but I guess you can't always get what you want.

jens wrote:Well done blaming Waves instead of Apple. :tu:
Where did he do that?

LeVzi wrote:
chk071 wrote:
LeVzi wrote:
Define "good business practice". Or, better, define it not, because it's hardly an objective thing to judge.
Well in this case, allow all V9 plugins to be updated , then those out of WUP need it renewed to go to V10, but some cost more than others yet they are all the same Version number. I dont see how that's ethical, business wise it will make more money, but ethical? Nope.
As this comes up again and again. How can a business be "ethical"? Is it ethical to lead a company, having to care for lots of employees, and be overly ethical towards the customer, lose money, and having to boot employees because you don't make enough money to keep your business running healthily?

What is unethical about Waves? Why do you think you HAVE to update your plugins, or even charge money for something you don't want to support? Isn't it extremely ehical that you don't have to do all these things, but can decide for yourself whether you want to keep updating, or even using your plugins at all?

All that regardless of wrong "scam" accusations. It is no scam. Dude. YOU can decide whether you want to update your plugins, or even continue using them. It is no scam also that Ferrari charges a fortune for any of their car, and poor me can't, or doesn't want to afford it.

thecontrolcentre wrote:
jens wrote:Well done blaming Waves instead of Apple. :tu:
Where did he do that?
For instance in the thread title?

(jeez - can't believe you're really asking this :help:)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

I'm not convinced that the WUP setup, when used optimally, is an especially bad or unfair system. It's not a "scam" because you do get the service you pay for.

What is a bit shady about it is that it is confusing and people very likely buy more WUP than they need because Waves make it easy to do so. Making it easy to do so implies that this is expected, when in fact this is not the optimal move for most users in most situations. It feels a bit like an "idiot tax" and those are not really ethical.

WUP is weird as far as plugins go. It is hard to communicate and hard to understand. Apple users get impacted by OS updates killing their plugins more than PC users. I am sympathetic. For windows users you probably are fine with legacy versions of the plugins... With Mac OS updates... WUP may be a requirement and if your plugins won't work as my Apple friend recently experienced, paying a hefty WUP fee or rebuying the same plugins on sale was the only option. In the PC world we can ignore WUP for the most part.

Return to “Effects”