bx_console SSL 4000 E, bx_console SSL 4000 G and bx_townhouse Buss Compressor (SSL Bus Compressor)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

VariKusBrainZ wrote:I dont own either but received several loyalty vouchers to get them for $99 each, separate to the usual monthly voucher
Same, I'm currently trying to decide which one to get. The 4kE probably, but I do
like the buss comp as well. IIRC, PA is pretty stingy with these, e.g. the price
doesn't come down much or often. Likely going to be worse now with SSL on board.

There's some pressure to pick them up now, if one is seriously interested in them.

What would be the best one to get for mostly house and techno but also a bit of hip hop?

SSL 4000 E

G is where it's at for me.

I would say demo both and decide for yourself. I don't think either is more suited to those genres, it's down to which you prefer if your going for one.

The E low band is great for clean low subs, but I really like the G EQ variants as well. I also prefer the overall sound/vibe of the G, and the way it breaks up when pushing the THD hard compared to the E which gets really wild in comparison, whereas the G sounds right to me.

There are so many different styles of house, techno and hip hop and while I think the tendency is to think low end first for those genres, it's a mix of everything and is down to your tastes ultimately so - demo both and see, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

What's funny is if you compare the Townhouse compressor to the PSP Busspressor, they're remarkably close in sound, and the busspressor is usually on sale for insanely cheap.

s28 wrote:...The E low band is great for clean low subs...
exactly

tighter low end

I actually preferred the 4000 G in the end... The high end of the eq won out over
the tighter low end of the 4000 E eq for me. I seriously thought about getting both
to see if I could get my voucher to go up, but I decided I don't really need
each at this point. I'm betting I can pick the E up at near or less, somewhere down the line
via better voucher or something. Same with the buss comp, which I think has the
best chance of good discounts in the future.

Is the bx_townhouse Buss Compressor the same compressor that's modeled in the bx_console SSL 4000 e/g, just released as a separate thing for those that don't need the whole channel strip ?

mcbpete wrote:Is the bx_townhouse Buss Compressor the same compressor that's modeled in the bx_console SSL 4000 e/g, just released as a separate thing for those that don't need the whole channel strip ?
The bx_townhouse is touted to model the first external version of the desks' bus compressor, not the channel compressor. That's why it's described as a "bus" compressor.
So I would say "no".

Pedants Corner:
There should only be one "S". Buss, with 2 S's, means to kiss.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... nglish/bus
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... glish/buss

mcbpete wrote:Is the bx_townhouse Buss Compressor the same compressor that's modeled in the bx_console SSL 4000 e/g, just released as a separate thing for those that don't need the whole channel strip ?
He's right, the answer is "no". townhouse is the 4000 console buss compressor as mentioned for either mix or master buss work. of course you can use it for anything if you want. townhouse is a particular notable unit as mentioned in the product info. :phones:

Not. It's a model of a clone of SSL Buss Compressor, that was built in Townhouse Studios, with help of SSL themselves. They liked the sound of the SSL Buss Compressor and created a clone with components supplied by Solid State Logic .

waltercruz wrote:
Not. It's a model of a clone of SSL Buss Compressor, that was built in Townhouse Studios, with help of SSL themselves. They liked the sound of the SSL Buss Compressor and created a clone with components supplied by Solid State Logic .
Review of the Townhouse Compressor with some background info about its origin. Sounds like components supplied by SSL to Townhouse Studios, to create a bus compressor (which at the time was not available separately from SSL).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwZ61aKxuws

Is the bx_townhouse point-to-point handwired or PCB? Does it use NOS Malloy capacitors?

:roll:

Googly Smythe wrote:
The bx_townhouse is touted to model the first external version of the desks' bus compressor, not the channel compressor. That's why it's described as a "bus" compressor.
So I would say "no".

Pedants Corner:
There should only be one "S". Buss, with 2 S's, means to kiss.
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... nglish/bus
https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dicti ... glish/buss
Yeah at that stage SSL only had the B series out, even though there were so few ever made. What happened is SSL gave Townhouse the parts and they assembled it themselves. The B had no master buss compressor, so whether the parts were all from the channel strips or there were other parts thrown in is a bit of a mystery.

Mind you, Townhouse wouldn't have put their compressor together to "SSL specs". This is why it's such a rare compressor. Typically one of a kind, although It would sound very close to a standard SSL compressor, considering its parts and heritage.

Return to “Effects”