NEW: Waves Abbey Road Chambers

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Abbey Road Chambers

GearNostalgia wrote:
J4R1O wrote:One hell of a power-hungry plugin...
How power hungry is that? Can you describe that in terms of percentage of a CPU?
How can I check that out in Cubase Pro 9.5 (yes, I'm new to Cubase)?
Optimal number of audio plugins is one more than you currently have.

Mathematics wrote:cprompt was probably reporting overall CPU performance.

If he is indeed using Reaper (as I am assuming), then yes, that is what he was reporting. That was my main point actually. :-)
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Mathematics wrote:
cprompt wrote:Abbey Roads Plates, already power hungry, consumes 5.2% CPU. AR Chambers shoots up to around 7.5% so for me, almost 50% more CPU than Plates.
What CPU are you running?
jens wrote:
Mathematics wrote:I'm actually curious what cprompt is running. I was able to get just under 10% but I have to run a buffer size of 2048. For running under 10%, you need a whole lot of clock cycles.
I assume cprompt is using Reaper, so multiply his numbers by a factor of four (I think - or is it perhaps even eight due to multi-threading?) and they should be comparable to your own measurements.
You assume correctly :D

And on an i5 quad core at 3.2ghz using a 128 sample buffer size.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

After several miss-guidances by the Waves support, after 5-6 h work, I managed to get the Chambers installed. Waves ver.10/9 management is a mess, it can mess your computer during the new plugin installation, if you have bad luck. I had.

Chambers sound really beautiful, it complements the Plates, J37 and H-Reverb (and all the other 10 reverbs) nicely.
CPU hungry it is, my Live meter shows 9-17 % with my desktop i7 latest processor.

BTW, during the Chambers installation episode, I managed to run the ver.10 updates over all my ver.9 licensed plugins.
What a drag - I had to run the "re-organizer", as Waves calls it, and typically Waves, after the "re-organizing", although all the ver.9 stuff insralled in my folders, I had to re-install all my 50 ver.9 plugins.
But after the renstalling, the Waves support cant tell me, how to get the ver.9 plugins working in the DAW. Normally I just copy the Waveshell ti my Live vst folder, but now there is no new ver.9 shell in the usual location.
And Waves support cant tell where it is, if anywhere.

So, at the moment, I got the Chambers, but lost all my 50 ver.9 Waves plugins.
Waiting some wise guy advice, the common Waves support person was totally handles. :party:

Any advice for some experienced?

I have no clue so far. Bought Chambers yesterday and am afraid to install it. :) Went into my Waves Account and registered the new serial. Whilst there it was suggested that I 'upgrade' some of my older v9 Plug-ins. Just the ones that have WUP by the looks of things. I expect that when I eventually run Waves Central, it will have a better idea which Plug-ins are v9 and which are v10. But who can get into the superior minds of Waves Audio? They are too clever for me.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

In the studio, add the Impact server to the audio interface and DAW you already have in order to free up your computer and offload your plugins to the server. Use the Impact server with a SoundGrid audio interface to record with plugins without latency.
https://www.waves.com/hardware/soundgrid-impact-server

Aloysius wrote:I have no clue so far. Bought Chambers yesterday and am afraid to install it. :) Went into my Waves Account and registered the new serial. Whilst there it was suggested that I 'upgrade' some of my older v9 Plug-ins. Just the ones that have WUP by the looks of things. I expect that when I eventually run Waves Central, it will have a better idea which Plug-ins are v9 and which are v10. But who can get into the superior minds of Waves Audio? They are too clever for me.
Yeah, in short the Waves plan is:"we need money, lets lower the price of our plugins really down, we sell tens of thousands of them, then we 'update' the version, making the life for those using old versions/no-WUP really pain, give poor instructions so that many make mistakes when trying to manage the plugins, and finally many give up and update the version for a big money".

Its quite possible to live parallel with several versions, but Waves has really limited the information - e.g. in WC its easy to get misleaded.
:evil: :arrow: :help: :scared: :cry: :x

They are so clever it boggles the mind.

Waves V10 — Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated on: 6/11/2018 7:46:26 AM

We know that a new major update always raises many questions, so we've created a collection of answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the new Waves v10 across-the-board update. Click on each of the questions below to reveal the answer.

Do I have to update to V10?
How do I update my plugins to V10?
I want to update my plugins to V10 but my Waves Update Plan has expired. What can I do?
I'm trying to install my plugins but can't find them in Waves Central. Where are they?
Is my setup compatible with V10?
I have V10 licenses but my system is only compatible with V9. What can I do?
All my SoundGrid applications are V9. Will V10 plugins work?
Can I run my V9 and V10 plugins on the same system?
Should I uninstall V9?
I'm not yet ready to update to V10. How do I install my V9 plugins?
I still have some V9 products. How can I move my V9 licenses?
Can I create an offline installer for my V9 products using the latest version of Waves Central?
https://www.waves.com/support/waves-v10 ... -questions

learnkeys wrote:
Waves V10 — Frequently Asked Questions
Last updated on: 6/11/2018 7:46:26 AM

We know that a new major update always raises many questions, so we've created a collection of answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about the new Waves v10 across-the-board update. Click on each of the questions below to reveal the answer.

Do I have to update to V10?
How do I update my plugins to V10?
I want to update my plugins to V10 but my Waves Update Plan has expired. What can I do?
I'm trying to install my plugins but can't find them in Waves Central. Where are they?
Is my setup compatible with V10?
I have V10 licenses but my system is only compatible with V9. What can I do?
All my SoundGrid applications are V9. Will V10 plugins work?
Can I run my V9 and V10 plugins on the same system?
Should I uninstall V9?
I'm not yet ready to update to V10. How do I install my V9 plugins?
I still have some V9 products. How can I move my V9 licenses?
Can I create an offline installer for my V9 products using the latest version of Waves Central?
https://www.waves.com/support/waves-v10 ... -questions
Typical FAQ - it VERY rarely answer to your question, especially in the dilemma situations. :clown:

As said, no answer in the Waves FAQ to my problem - and no answer even via tech support, telephone calls, etc.
One patent solution in Waves seems to be "delete all - and re-install everything".

Often this attitude is pure lazyness, or mixed lazyness/ignorance.

There the poor end-user goes, un- and re-installing everything, time after time.
(I'm re-installing everything right now, when I'm writing this - according to the tech support instructions.
I think have used for Waves "plugin management" in the past 15 years almost as much time as for the use of the Waves plugins in the projects :dog:

P.s. Waves is like Wallmart or Lidl - none likes it, but everyone uses it.
Must admit the Chambers sound damn good.
Last edited by Harry_HH on Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I wonder if Waves are just really terrible at CPU optimization and efficient coding. Like Butch Vig Vocals which has been around for years, is hilarious - it's like 20% on the latest i7 hexcore.

Are Waves making plugins for 2032 or 2018?

AudioDeluxe gave me a WUP Deal. I was thinkin', no way they'll accept my offer but they did, so I felt obliged.

nm

Return to “Effects”