Kuassa announces: Amplifikation Caliburn

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Amplifikation Caliburn

Last edited by dimitar on Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big :tu: from me.

Huge fan of Vermilion, and looking forward to trying out Caliburn - the demos sound great.

Cheers
nbiar

holy f*ck. can't wait to get home and test drive this baby.

EDIT: why the JCM900? i'd wished it was Plexi instead of JCM900. i've never played the real thing, but i've never liked it one bit in any other emulations, similarly to 5150.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Why no love for the JCM 900? :D
It's a high gain amplifier by the design.
It can get fuzzy if you max the preamp/gain knobs. They sound pretty good if you dial them in right!

First thing is to play with the gain and master volume.
If you put the master on 12 oclock and dial the gain all the way up, the amp is going to compress the low end and at this point I’m sure you will hate the overall feeling.
But doing the opposite: Gain at 12 o'clock and master at 8 everything is changing.
The lows are tight now and you still have the same amount of gain and saturation. :)

Cheers!

oh i agree that JTM45 is great, i'm just saying that i'd keep the JTM45 but replaced JCM900 with the Plexi :) however, i'll give it an honest go... it wouldn't be the first time i misjudged an amp because i didn't know how to dial sounds on it :) in fact, i've sold Creme before because i didn't know what to do with it. i've recently rediscovered it and re-bought it again, and enjoying it immensely now.

that said, i'm not even going to demo it. Kuassa has made it on my instant-buy list the moment they've released the Efektor overdrive pedals :D (actually, they've pretty much been there since Vermillion)
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

JCM900 just doesn't sound that good overall IMHO, it can get out of sweet spot too easily. I agree Plexi should've been there instead of it. :)

But 45 and 800 sound pretty much spot on! Mercuriall Spark and Kazrog just got some serious competition. I still like Kazrog best, somehow, though (no hard feelings!). :)

i would've bought Spark too, were it not sooooo damn expensive even on sale. i'm still eyeing it from time to time, but if Caliburn is as good as i hope it is, then i can forget about Spark. Kuassa prices their plugins right IMO - if this is as kick-ass as Mercuriall, then it pretty much blows it out of the water on quality to price ratio.

Oh the poor 900
It's crunchy guys, come on.. :love:

https://youtu.be/rYqcC6AXUTI

Framus Cobra blows it out of water. For that matter, JCM800 blows it out of water as well :)

(Damn nice sweeps, tho!)

so, i've tested it. i am still not sure about JCM900 - i mean, okay, i can get a pretty good sound by being careful not to overdrive the output stage too much, just like Dimi suggested. but move away from it, and it all goes south. it seems like it's a one-trick pony, like any other JCM900 emulation i've tried. i'll play with it some more by feeding stomps into it, but i doubt i'll change my mind much. so, it sounds good when set up right, but not really my thing in terms of a "goto" amp. the other two are brilliant though. love the JTM45, love the JCM800. instant AC/DC!

this amp also highlights the one gripe i have with Kuassa stomp pedals - they feel great with these amps, but a proper metal distortion pedal with an actual flexible EQ is very much missing. it seems like for proper high-gain tones, Creme still wins over this one. but for bluesy overdrive and for hard rocking classic tones, IMO Caliburn is up there with the best of them. i'm very happy that Kuassa finally has a proper Marshall sim, and between this, Kazrog and Amplitube 4, i can finally forget about Mercuriall :D

Wonderful demos. I'm not a big Marshall guy, but the tele is clearly the way to my heart...

I saw the name Caliburn and instantly thought of Mesa Boogie..... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Haha, just because it has "Cali" in the name, haha. But no. It's another name for "Excalibur".

Teksonik wrote:I saw the name Caliburn and instantly thought of Mesa Boogie.
Me, I thought of all the fires on the West Coast, and Kazrog having to flee his home this past winter.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Return to “Effects”