Ducking reverbs and delays

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Which reverbs and delays have the ducking option? And also, why is this not a de facto standard in all contemporary effects that it fits? I know I can do this by using side chain and a compressor, but sometimes it would be so much easier to do this inside the plugin itself.

Here's what I found so far:

Reverbs: Waves H-Reverb, D16 Toraverb
Delays: PSP Echo, Variety of Sound's Nasty DLA, GVST GDuckDly

U-He Colour Copy also has a built in ducking function, either for the feedback or the complete wet signal.

Edit: Ohh and MFM2 of course.

Tritiks tk-delay has ducking.

As for it not being a standard feature... I think I used it once on a vocal and don't recall people decrying it's omission on new delays so maybe not a big a deal for most people as it is for you, we all work differently.

2 of the best delays on the market feature ducking:

NI Replika XT and tritik tkDelay.

A quick convenient ducking feature would have to be some kind of one-knob compressor, which is a complicated thing to design and won't work well with all source material.

A really good implementation of ducking would need a lot of controls: all the controls of a compressor, in fact. So why not just have people use their favorite compressor?

I'm surprised it's available as much as it is, to be honest.

I think of it as a shortcut for lazy people in a hurry (I am lazy and I have a toddler + two cats and one dog, so I'm always in a hurry). There are times when I just want to throw a reverb or a delay straight on the track instead of using a send. Those times the limited control usually is ok. All it really takes is an ON/OFF button, threshold and release times. If I want more than that, I'm ready to do some work to get there.

Last edited by Vortifex on Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

you already named a few yourself, as well as plugins other people have mentioned. choose one and get on with your productions :wink:

personally i like to do this the "hard" way, it gives you much more flexibility and you can fine tune your SC to perfection

Surreal Machines Diffuse is my favourite and this has a pump feature but I personally would alway recommend Sidechaining a Compressor in front of it. ;)

Polygon Sheep Stealth Delay also...
https://www.polygonsheep.com/

Fractal FX Reverb and D16 Group Toraverb 2 have ducking feature.
Please don’t read the above post. It’s a stupid one. Simply pass.

PSP Stomp Delay does have ducking. PSP Echo i believe does as well. McDSP EC-300 does.

however, as long as the delay has a dry/wet knob, it's not an issue - you can create your own ducker.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Spaceship Delay has a ducking feature if im not mistaking.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

My free plugin Cocoa Delay has a ducking option. :D

https://tesselode.itch.io/cocoa-delay

tesselode wrote:My free plugin Cocoa Delay has a ducking option. :D

https://tesselode.itch.io/cocoa-delay
Oh yes totally forgot about Cocoa Delay :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Return to “Effects”