Fabfilter Volcano 2 - best filter (for modulations) or other ones?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ATS wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:I dont get the whole 'fabfilter' hype. Imo their plugins are pretty average.

They are really falling behind as far as refusing to make their older plugins have bigger GUIS. But for me they are excellent besides this.
They should indeed have bigger GUIs.
MirkoVanHauten wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:I dont get the whole 'fabfilter' hype. Imo their plugins are pretty average.
What outstanding plugins do you use?

Unlike their other superb plugins I use Volcano sparse. I regularly use their EQ for simple high or lowpassing and automate it in the host :hihi: And delay plugins like Replika (where I'd use a filter with modulation afterwards), have a filter already built in. But if I use Volcano I have much fun with it. It's modulation system is very easy, the filters sound excellent, workflow as usual the best imo.
ToneBoosters comes to mind. MUCH cheaper and A LOT better.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote:
MirkoVanHauten wrote:
What outstanding plugins do you use?ToneBoosters comes to mind. MUCH cheaper and A LOT better.
Okay I use them too. But I feel the other way around. Eventhough they're clean in sound, I miss features and a better workflow. That's where FabFilter is way above. Just compare for example their eqs...

For me nothing can beat the fabfilter EQ. I use it ALL the time. I compared many others and I prefer this one over any other for most tasks.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

MirkoVanHauten wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
MirkoVanHauten wrote:
What outstanding plugins do you use?ToneBoosters comes to mind. MUCH cheaper and A LOT better.
Okay I use them too. But I feel the other way around. Eventhough they're clean in sound, I miss features and a better workflow. That's where FabFilter is way above. Just compare for example their eqs...
Well each to their own. :)
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

I think its inner poor man talking (no offence) :D

MirkoVanHauten wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
MirkoVanHauten wrote:
Exactly that! On the other hand Equalizer version 4 falls not far behind at all. It also has Mid-side feature, sidechain input, enough steep filters, resizable gui, piano roll. Whats cool it also has AI although im not sure how it works.

Elektronisch wrote:I think its inner poor man talking (no offence) :D
You taking to me? Last time i checked im not Poor.

Halonmusic wrote:
Nah i mean in general, because Toneboosters plugins are inexpensive, if you skip few cups of coffee a week you can get them easely :) and its quite common practise people who cant afford something more premium usualy defend less expensive stuff by being better then the premium :) its just a lame joke man, as i said dont get offended by that :D

andy-cytomic wrote:
robbmonn wrote:I had two Sherman Filterbanks for many years, a version 1 and a v2. The key feature of the filter bank in my mind is the way that you can link the cutoff frequencies between the two filters: you can link them at the same frequency or by an offset that is calibrated to musical intervals: a major third, a fifth, an octave, an octave + a fifth, etc. It is so gorgeous. ...
Just wanted to add a little note: You can link the two filters in The Drop as well, this is always in effect. I wanted all the knobs to work all the time so I added the SHIFT knob to do this. So dial in 1k Hz for one filter, then on the other filter dial in 1.5 kHz for a major fifth (3:2 ratio), or 2 kHz for an octave (4:2), or 3 kHz for an octave and a fifth etc. Then use the SHIFT knob to do the actual modulation and automation of the linked filter cutoffs. This is especially useful when you tune both filter cutoffs based on incoming midi note, so you can accentuate particular harmonic content of a pitched signal.

absolutely! i do this all the time. now just make it so both filters can be LPFs and you will have made me a happy happy man.

Elektronisch wrote:
Halonmusic wrote:
Nah i mean in general, because Toneboosters plugins are inexpensive, if you skip few cups of coffee a week you can get them easely :) and its quite common practise people who cant afford something more premium usualy defend less expensive stuff by being better then the premium :) its just a lame joke man, as i said dont get offended by that :D
No no I wasn't offended. :)

I forgot that my favorite is now StepFX in Logic.
It‘s like v2 from CamelSpace (which i loved too).
It sounds great but is also good to perform.
I guess most major DAW‘s offer something similar?

robbmonn wrote:now just make it so both filters can be LPFs and you will have made me a happy happy man.
Just use 2 instances in series possibly? :idea:
:hyper: M O N O S Y N T H S F O R E V E R :hyper:

ATS wrote:For me nothing can beat the fabfilter EQ. I use it ALL the time. I compared many others and I prefer this one over any other for most tasks.
Same here. Pro-Q2 is the staple of my EQ needs. It is THE only plugin that is in every single project, multiple instances.

I actually haven't met anybody who has got rid of Pro-Q2 once they've aquired it and most have ended up using it as their main "digital" EQ. It's almost perfect in execution. Almost.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: I actually haven't met anybody who has got rid of Pro-Q2 once they've aquired it and most have ended up using it as their main "digital" EQ. It's almost perfect in execution. Almost.
Ok now I have to ask. How is Pro-Q2 not perfect???

I hope they update Volcano next, a little bit old now it needs up to date algorithms and bigger GUI.

After that maybe Twin will get the update.
dedication to flying

Return to “Effects”