Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

Is ducking not a feature of (some) delays?

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:02 am Is ducking not a feature of (some) delays?
I don't think it's that common but certainly not virtually unheard of as some may say.

My go-to delay, trikits tk-delay, certainly has it.

zerocrossing wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 4:38 amYou never disappoint.
Unlike you guys - what a crock this thing is. I was finally tempted to give it a whirl and holy hobs of hell it uses a lot of processing. I had ArcSyn playing a whole note with a three note rest in the pattern so I could hear this wonderful, amazing thing that's now worth 79 pages of discussion, and I couldn't get past the reaction the CPU meter had. ArcSyn was using 3% of my available CPU power on its own but CPU jumped to 16% with Valhalla Delay running. I'll concede that it sounds very different from your average delay effect but I found I could easily match it with Orion's Diffuse Delay and Fat Space reverb and with that combo the CPU was running at 5%. When I added my $5 Mutant Delay it went up to 6%.

Now, I'm all for combining effects in useful ways, like incorporating ducking into a delay effect, but that is all about efficiency and part of efficiency means saving CPU cycles, not burning them like it's the Amazon rainforest. Plus, of course, with a delay/reverb combo in my sends I can give each channel a different balance - more reverb and less delay in a drum channel and more delay with less reverb in an arpeggiated rhythm, for example. Needless to say, my Valhalla Delay demo has been uninstalled. Sadly, however, the Amazon rainforest continues to burn.
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 amAnother thing I like with Echoboy is that with the multitap - you can easily turn it into a lofi reverb.
Don't you have reverbs you can use as reverbs? I have some legacy things that are extremely lo-fi (but probably not in the way you mean) and would save you a lot of CPU cycles. It's actually an interesting thing - throughout the development of Orion, Rich kept giving us better and better sounding reverbs and I reckon anyone could order them chronologically, based on how they sound, in a few seconds.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

All delays are the same.
All filters are the same.
All synths are the same.
All KVR users are the same.

There's literally no point in having more than one of any of these things. So I'm afraid the rest of you are just going to have to go now. Bye.

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm
DrGonzo wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 7:52 amAnother thing I like with Echoboy is that with the multitap - you can easily turn it into a lofi reverb.
Don't you have reverbs you can use as reverbs? I have some legacy things that are extremely lo-fi (but probably not in the way you mean) and would save you a lot of CPU cycles. It's actually an interesting thing - throughout the development of Orion, Rich kept giving us better and better sounding reverbs and I reckon anyone could order them chronologically, based on how they sound, in a few seconds.
Sure, but it gives a flavour that I am very fond of. Almost a granular quality. I wouldn't put it on vocals, that's for sure. But for techno, using a multi-tap delay as a reverb is a quick way of getting interesting timbres. I did some presets for Echoboy some years back, here's a video I made for it where I a/b some of the effects. You can hear some reverb at 2:50, 3:30, 4:14 and 4:34.

I'm sure it's not everybody's bag, but I dig that stuff enormously. I haven't gone to depth about what you can do with ValhallaDelay, but the reverbs you find there are quite cool and characteristic.

https://youtu.be/01gQXoyQVro

/C
ANALOG DEEP HOUSE 2 for U-HE DIVA
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

BONES wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:01 pm Unlike you guys - what a crock this thing is. I was finally tempted to give it a whirl and holy hobs of hell it uses a lot of processing....ArcSyn was using 3% of my available CPU power on its own but CPU jumped to 16% with Valhalla Delay running.
To me: that's the craziest thing you said. Those results are NOT typical. I'm running an i7 4790k and Valhalla delay registers as using 0.2% CPU in Reaper. It didn't even register on Studio One's CPU meter. This doesn't burn cycles in normal usage. It's super efficient.

If it was using up 13% per instance, this thread would've been burned to the ground many times over due to complaints about the CPU usage. If you're really seeing CPU usage like that, it's either due to something else, or there's some kind of bug or something (which you should report if so).

Finally got around to giving it a good spin in my couple days of everything dub demoing. I see that the VDelay thread was locked, but I can't see why.

Obviously a great sound but had a couple thoughts:

Since there is only a mix knob and not dry/wet controls, I'm surprised there is no gain or overall output volume. That seems sorely missing to me. As it is there is no way that I can see to maintain your input volume on the dry and add wet signal to it. Therefor it seems better suited to using as a fully wet send, but sometimes it would be nice to just throw it on a track and not have to adjust levels outside of it. I think a plugin should have the ability to adjust it's output level. I mean that's the basic control you need on every effect right? Especially one with crazy feedback.

Also I do wish that the diffusion amount could be turned on without a click/loss of signal for a moment. Whenever I turn it up from 0, it loses the wet signal for a second and then comes back in. Maybe if there was an on/off for that as well as a minimum value so it could be on but at 0. If that makes sense. Otherwise it's hard to get it down to unnoticeable without accidentally hitting 0. You really need to create a macro in your DAW that goes only down to 1 so it doesn't turn off.

It could also use an mute for the delay input (while still passing the dry signal). Again it's something you can set up in a DAW by having it as a send but on a track you'd need a layering tool.

Anyways pretty cool, but definitely seems to need some DAW setup to get the most out of it.

Edited
Last edited by Vortifex on Sun Apr 16, 2023 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Absence of an output gain knob had me re-selling both VRoom and VVV, and kept me from buying VDelay at least until now (and unfortunately I really like it, actually I think it's pretty awesome :neutral: ).

It's advised to use them as sends at 100% wet then use the channel fader, but since I'm always used to put 2 or 3 gain matched reverbs (or delays, or whatever) and compare them before, lack of output gain on plugins is too annoying for my workflow.

For sound design tasks I can somehow get over it... for busy mixing applications I'd just rather not go down that way if I can :cry:

Still one of my all time favourite plugins
Sean Costello is da Man
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

Okay, I think I've left the posts that are entirely or mostly on topic and removed those that didn't contribute to the discussion. I tried not to step on any toes but if your favorite post got deleted, sorry about that.

Carry on, and please discuss Valhalla Delay, delays in general, and that kind of thing — not opinions of each other.

Niowiad wrote: Sat Feb 15, 2020 8:20 pm Absence of an output gain knob had me re-selling both VRoom and VVV, and kept me from buying VDelay at least until now (and unfortunately I really like it, actually I think it's pretty awesome :neutral: ).

It's advised to use them as sends at 100% wet then use the channel fader, but since I'm always used to put 2 or 3 gain matched reverbs (or delays, or whatever) and compare them before, lack of output gain on plugins is too annoying for my workflow.
I'd say an output or overall level is even more important with a delay, because with a reverb you are probably setting a certain sound and leaving it, whereas with a delay like this there could be times when you want more or less of it and some level compensation is often necessary. But there is actually no way to lower the level as an insert without actually raising the dry level and vice versa, since the mix reduces one or the other. Kind of an oversight I think.

The mix stuff can be worked around with DAW routing, but the diffusion on click can't really. I 'd like to see something done about that.
Last edited by Echoes in the Attic on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hey wait a sec, does setting diffusion size to 0% have the same effect as setting the diffusion amount to 0%? Ie. is there no effect when either is 0%. Sounds similar with size at 0 and amount at full as with diffusion amount off I think.

Still, would prefer a separate button for diffusion on so that you don't get a click if you tweak or automate to/from minimum. Maybe the Diff label could be a button like how the Mix lock is a button?

Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm The mix stuff can be worked around with DAW routing, but the diffusion on click can't really. I 'd like to see something done about that.
The Diffusion control is a "switch"; when it's set to "OFF", it's that, and as soon as you move it to any setting other than OFF, the circuit engages and there won't be any way around the little hiccup in the signal. If you start with Diffusion at 0.1%, you will start with it in the ON state and combined with the Diff Size at 0% you won't hear any diffusion on your input signal and can then freely automate from there.
Don Gunn
ValhallaDSP Support

bleen wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:35 pm
Echoes in the Attic wrote: Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:16 pm The mix stuff can be worked around with DAW routing, but the diffusion on click can't really. I 'd like to see something done about that.
The Diffusion control is a "switch"; when it's set to "OFF", it's that, and as soon as you move it to any setting other than OFF, the circuit engages and there won't be any way around the little hiccup in the signal. If you start with Diffusion at 0.1%, you will start with it in the ON state and combined with the Diff Size at 0% you won't hear any diffusion on your input signal and can then freely automate from there.
Yeah I'm aware of this, as shown in my other posts where I indicated why I thought this wasn't ideal and suggested alternatives. Sometimes trying to combines controls can be less convenient, as in the this case where a button would be preferable.

Return to “Effects”