Valhalla Delay released

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
ValhallaDelay

Last edited by Vortifex on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

4damind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:48 pm
bleen wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:13 pm
4damind wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:58 pm
Vortifex wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:45 pm Does the demo completely stop after a while? A couple of times it's stopped outputting the delay signal and wouldn't return until I loaded a new instance.
Same here. Could be a bug?
DAW/OS? Thanks!
Cubase 10/Windows 10.
If its not a demo limitation, its a bug.
It's a bug in the demo; it doesn't happen in the full version. We're on it.
Don Gunn
ValhallaDSP Support

Beautiful sound. So glad it's out.

The noise level is too high. Oh well. If they included a noise-off parameter I'd get it. I do like added noise but I want to be in control of it. Nice delay otherwise. I'll keep my eye on it for that user control of noise... :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:34 pm The noise level is too high. Oh well. If they included a noise-off parameter I'd get it. I do like added noise but I want to be in control of it. Nice delay otherwise. I'll keep my eye on it for that user control of noise... :phones:
In many of the modes, the Age controls the noise level. Have you been reducing the Age knob?

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:34 pm The noise level is too high. Oh well. If they included a noise-off parameter I'd get it. I do like added noise but I want to be in control of it. Nice delay otherwise. I'll keep my eye on it for that user control of noise... :phones:
Turn down the Age knob?

Already tried. Age has no effect on the noise. Sigh... I hate when developers do things like this (remove user control and freedom, especially for things as critical as noise). Enjoy your new noisey delay... :dog: :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:46 pm Already tried. Age has no effect on the noise. Sigh... I hate when developers do things like this (remove user control and freedom, especially for things as critical as noise). Enjoy your new noisey delay... :dog: :phones:
As I wrote on the previous page, different Modes have different levels of noise and the Drive/Age parameters adjust this to a degree; BBD is really noisy because that's the nature of a BBD circuit. Tape is second noisiest. Changing the "Era" control from "Past" through "Future" will also change overall levels of noise in the Modes - many of the controls are highly interactive with others by design. Also, the plugin wouldn't self-oscillate without some noise to excite things.

There will likely never be a switch to entirely eliminate all noise from all places in the plugin.
Don Gunn
ValhallaDSP Support

Not on my copy - Age has no effect on the noise level, just the character of the noise. There appears to be no way to eliminate the noise. I often run into issues when mixing with plugin noise adding up. The noise level is low, but with further processing and other noisy plugins, it can add up and become audible.

I only want to work with plugins that allow me to control the noise. Perhaps it's just my use-case. That's fine. Keep it in mind. If it's not an issue for you, great stuff! one benefit is if you use Valhalla Delay you wont need to use dither - make sure to let your mastering engineer know. :phones:

Another discovery: at 119% feedback using Tape, Ping Pong and Past, you get an ambient self-occilation "pad/noise" that increases in volume very gradually. It will also sustain input at roughly "freeze" level.

I accidentally learned how to create this effect in Echoboy, and wondered what the threshold/settings were required to reproduce it here.
Last edited by ziggysane on Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Public service announcement Cubase users on Windows:

The VST3 plugin (after you move it to the right folder) doesn't recall the Style knob settings for presets in Cubase (using 10.0.15 on Windows 10 x64). VST2 works as expected in Cubase. And VST3 works as expected in Studio One. But ValhallaDelay VST3+Cubase=broken style knob.

I just officially reported it via the Valhalla website but for now, stick to VST2.

I've been creating a bunch of presets and out of nowhere they started loading with incorrect Style settings and sounded wrong. Originally I was only using the VST2 version, so was able to track it down to VST3 and was able to do some additional testing to track this one down to the combination of Cubase and VST3.

BBD is out of control here. :borg:
I'm getting -38 dB RMS of noise and looping rumble on the "Default" preset switched to BBD mode.
That's a single instance, on those specific settings, sitting alone in the entire project, nothing else.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Niowiad wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:34 am BBD is out of control here. :borg:
I'm getting -38 dB RMS of noise and looping rumble on the "Default" preset switched to BBD mode.
That's a single instance, on those specific settings, sitting alone in the entire project, nothing else.
Getting the same thing here. BBD mode can get very hairy with feedback. I think this is a bug too.

Overall, I am not a big fan of Valhalla plugins. However, this new delay VST is well suited for my mixing needs and I will more than likely purchase it after a few released updates. Nice work, Valhalla!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:29 am The VST3 plugin (after you move it to the right folder) doesn't recall the Style knob settings for presets in Cubase (using 10.0.15 on Windows 10 x64).
Can confirm that for Cubase/VST3. In FL Studio 20, the same presets load correctly, even with the VST3-version.

BUT, in FL Studio 20, an inserted VST3-Version of ValhallaDelay reduces everything on that channel to mono here, no such problem with VST2. Okay, could be me, FL Studio 20 noob, needs some more testing.
Last edited by Hadrondrift on Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”