Eventide SP2016 Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pmcculloch wrote: Mon Nov 05, 2018 6:37 pm ...
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation!

Keep up the great work! :hail:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Gamma-UT wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:50 am This maybe is related to the sample-rate/feedback interactions pmcculloch describes – I think I was only doing the comparisons at 44.1kHz, which I expect would lead to a relatively small difference versus the hardware's 39kHz.

No, I always work at 44.1
Also, If one were matching sound rather than parameters, then the difference between the two reduces a lot (for the same algorithm). I was mainly comparing full wet vs full wet mostly on the Large Room as it makes the matching easier to pull off. Obviously, if you want the plate and other additional algos, then SP2016 seems the better choice now (especially at the intro/upgrade price I got it for at launch).
Perhaps, but then that does not explain why I love what is coming out of SP2016 no matter what while I always found the result I got from the 2016 Stereo Room to be a lot more on the "meh"-side of things. To me it felt like a striking difference.

But perhaps it's different for me because I mainly work with (recorded) plucked strings which are of course always quite percussive in nature.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:57 am I used these strokes on purpose of course so one can hear the tail better... in my music I tend play a lot of percussive bits here and there too though, so it's not as if this was a completely unrealistic example...
Sure, that wasn't my point. My point is that if you take a dozen different examples at different settings and only in one or two is there a difference that is somewhat apparent, then the products are "largely the same."

There are the same model, there is no debate over that. The differences have been explained in detail and are not only as I expected but also as restricted as I described, e.g., they are not "modeling the original CPU."

Said differently, I have no other reverb that is as close to the SP2016 than Stereo Room. For any other choice, the differences are much more apparent. For me, that is not enough reason to spend money and I regret spending it. I will go further, for the "improvements" that you observe, I prefer OTHER reverbs. What I'm saying is that a part of what I like about the Stereo Room is that the tails are slightly more subdued and I think that helps it sit nicely in a mix. In other words, I'm not really a fan of the original hardware as much as I am of "Stereo Room", the plugin.

Now, I don't think that small difference is that obvious on the vintage setting, as I've described. I do think that it is obvious on the modern setting and that's what I don't particularly care for.

So, going back to my original post on this subject, I said that I didn't think that the product was much of an improvement and I stand by that. I feel that stereo room is a niche plugin that I turned to for a certain sound and the additions that SP2016 add fall into the category of either "not as interesting as other choices in my collection" or "doesn't sound different enough that I care."

Are we done with the dead horse flogging?

Hermetech Mastering wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:06 pm Are we done with the dead horse flogging?
Probably not, but you knew that.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 pm So, going back to my original post on this subject, I said that I didn't think that the product was much of an improvement and I stand by that. I feel that stereo room is a niche plugin that I turned to for a certain sound and the additions that SP2016 add fall into the category of either "not as interesting as other choices in my collection" or "doesn't sound different enough that I care."
I could easily say you need maybe better monitoring ... but SP2016 Reverb is an outstanding product and the complains about its quality are absurd. The possibilities in mixing with this plug in stand out from a lot of other reverbs. Eventide is one of the high quality companies striving for quality in so many details, I'm glad they exist. I choose nowadays plug ins like 2016 Reverb or like from Exponential Audio for their sound characteristics from a large collection of reverb plug ins and many hardware devices (EMT, TC6000, Quantec). The constant complaining about things that clearly go over the head of some is just strange. The guy from Eventide even came here to explain in detail what they did. What else? With 2016 Reverb Eventide made a clear hit for those knowing what they do in production.

dreamvoid wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:12 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 6:00 pm So, going back to my original post on this subject, I said that I didn't think that the product was much of an improvement and I stand by that. I feel that stereo room is a niche plugin that I turned to for a certain sound and the additions that SP2016 add fall into the category of either "not as interesting as other choices in my collection" or "doesn't sound different enough that I care."
I could easily say you need maybe better monitoring ...
And you would be wrong.
Eventide is one of the high quality companies striving for quality in so many details, I'm glad they exist.
LOL! You aren't saying anything. I could easily say that you need to appreciate nuance, but I think that it's above your pay grade. I own every single Eventide plugin, all of them. So what makes you think that I don't like Eventide plugins?

Like most vendors, within their catalog there are strengths and weaknesses, there are unique products and products that are less unique.

In point of fact, Eventide has a number of failings in their catalog, the modeling of filters in Band Delays and H3000 come immediately to mind. I would have preferred that they focus their efforts on improving those plugins. There are other areas where their are only tiny differences between two plugins making one or the other largely redundant, e.g., the quad vs the octo harmonizer, or the two channel strip plugins.

I get it, updating old products doesn't bring in new revenue. I also get that leveraging old IP, especially IP that demands a trivial U/I is less work than creating new complex plugins. I also get that there's no shortage of people with a fetish for old hardware, that's not me. In general, I'm not going to love everything that a vendor produces and my purpose of posting here is to share a post-purchase opinion with other people who might feel the same way. I appreciate that when other people take the time to make similar posts.

So, feel free to express your unfettered love for Eventide. I'm sure that they're happy to have another blushing bride in their harem! Meanwhile, I'll keep on discussing my opinion of products in hopes that future products will be more to my liking.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm above your pay grade ... blushing bride in their harem

I now can easily say that you are the typical forum idiot and troll. People like you are not worth the discussion at all.

dreamvoid wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:01 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:35 pm above your pay grade ... blushing bride in their harem

I now can easily say that you are the typical forum idiot and troll. People like you are not worth the discussion at all.
LOL! You owe me a new irony meter.

I can't step out for 10 minutes before you kids start fighting! :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 pm I can't step out for 10 minutes before you kids start fighting! :phones:
LOL! He started it!

I only briefly compared the room algorithm with 2016 Stereo Room, but... the difference was pretty big. And SP2016 was definitely the winner for me. More detailed, more pristine, less dark, you name it. If that's enough to justify a purchase is another thing. I passed on it as well, but, rather because I already own so many reverbs, and didn't find a compelling argument for another.

My detailed analysis shows that SP 2016 is 35% better than all competing reverbs in its class.

If you will turn your attention to the following charts and graphs they clearly show the expected rise in the
Last edited by JerGoertz on Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A well-behaved signature.

ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm
plexuss wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:18 pm I can't step out for 10 minutes before you kids start fighting! :phones:
LOL! He started it!
That's it! No plugins for a month! :phones:

plexuss wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:42 pm
ghettosynth wrote: Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:20 pm
LOL! He started it!
That's it! No plugins for a month! :phones:
That's not fair! I HATE YOU, I WANT TO GO LIVE WITH MOM!

Return to “Effects”