Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 am
Harry_HH wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:57 am
lnikj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 am
morelia wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 am
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 amI think musical presets should be also included a lot more cause most are bad showcases for non glitchartists. Ua would have a bigger fanbase in my opinion with musical more presets
Agreed.
It's not really a preset device though - kind of misses the point of B(uild)Y(our)O(wn)M(odular)E(ffect).
What is a "preset device"? I think all devices are "tweak yourself", but the factory presets can give some starting points for that. One doesn' t exclude the other. I'm pro presets, the more the better, in any device.
Yeah I never got this either/or thinking around presets. Sound design is an art form, as an artist I am perfectly capable of both creating my own and appreciating and being inspired by the work of others (and humble enough to also recognise that there are other sound designers much more capable than myself).
agree - I tweak a lot, often from presets :) I have bought from synth-presets before and been pretty happy with them. One can learn a lot from quality presets, good for discovering new / different methods

lnikj wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:19 am
morelia wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:15 am
Caine123 wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:51 amI think musical presets should be also included a lot more cause most are bad showcases for non glitchartists. Ua would have a bigger fanbase in my opinion with musical more presets
Agreed.
It's not really a preset device though - kind of misses the point of B(uild)Y(our)O(wn)M(odular)E(ffect).

No, not at all - the more complex and versatile a plugin is, the more you need good presets to demonstrate what it actually can do. And this goes even more so for modular things where you otherwise would have to do all the routings, etc. from scratch.

These presets then can be used at starting points. There are always certain sweetspots and typical/sensible parameter values for certain things. The developers should know these fairly well. The new users won't. The developers came up with the thing, they should know what they actually had in mind, so it's up to them to demonstrate what they designed it for (so if I'd go by the presets for SpecOps I would think the thing is designed to solely generate random digital artefacts that sound profoundly 90ish). You can learn a lot about the tool in question by experimenting with good presets. Well designed presets are like mini-tutorials.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

aMUSEd wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:22 am Sound design is an art form, as an artist I am perfectly capable of both creating my own and appreciating and being inspired by the work of others
Yes, it can be - just not at all the kind of art form I personally chose to express myself. Personally I neither have much interest in nor the time for sound design.

Edit: nevermind - I need to learn to read. I kind of stopped after the first part of your sentence, sorry! :oops:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Sorry, but lofi digital noise, sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched is not 'sound design'.

perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 amSorry, but lofi digital noise, sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched is not 'sound design'.
Let me add a filter on top of it. :D

OK guys; that was too casual a comment. I take your points especially about the educational value of presets; I have bought enough of Simon's & Liv's in my time to vouch for that.

What I suppose I mean is that with effects in general I find presets less useful than with synths because a effect has to be matched with whatever it is affecting. I am far more likely to start with a synth preset and tweak it than I am to start with an effect preset.

The more complex the effect, and this is perhaps the most complex yet, the more I find that presets are harder to use and that I need to really understand what the effect is doing and control it (here, build it) myself.

This is the most powerful and flexible yet easy to use creative effect ever IMHO. Because I have been working in VCVRack mostly for the last year, the effects and the incredible modulators are very appealing to me. If I hadn't had that recent experience I would probably feel totally overwhelmed by the sheer complexity and variety of tools on offer and would be more grateful for as many presets as possible to study rather than just wanting to dive in and play.

Of course, I am just a dabbler without time constraints who is now well used to spending hours twisting knobs with little to show at the end of it, not somebody who will make money using the plugin.

So, comment withdrawn ;)

perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 am Sorry, but lofi digital noise, sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched is not 'sound design'.
but of course; the result of a design process is not the actual process.

on the other hand, if the brief was, for example, 'make it sound like a badly behaving digital communication system' then 'sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched' could very well indeed be the result of sound design to that brief.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

tapiodmitriyevich wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:01 pm
perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 amSorry, but lofi digital noise, sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched is not 'sound design'.
Let me add a filter on top of it. :D
perfumer wants hifi analog noise to call it sound design... And instead of sometimes always...

whyterabbyt wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:06 pm
perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:56 am Sorry, but lofi digital noise, sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched is not 'sound design'.
but of course; the result of a design process is not the actual process.

on the other hand, if the brief was, for example, 'make it sound like a badly behaving digital communication system' then 'sometimes diffused, sometimes granularized and sometimes glitched' could very well indeed be the result of sound design to that brief.
BEFORE I made the above comment, I put on a piano loop played by Pianoteq, then added BYOME, then browsed through the preset library from start to finish.

I don't know what results you are talking about. For me, it was headache.

(And no, I'm not into analog noise either :hihi: I'm into clean and hifi digital - e.g., Harmor, Nemesis and the like.)

If you need boring bread and butter presets then you shouldn't be using Unfiltered Audio products.
Amazon: why not use an alternative

VariKusBrainZ wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:49 pm If you need boring bread and butter presets then you shouldn't be using Unfiltered Audio products.
Im definitely amused at the perception that the most flexible tools need the most 'median' presets to justify their worth.

Someone's not been introduced to Alva Noto's fabulous Xerrox project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYhXa3FLdQc

perfumer wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:40 pmI don't know what results you are talking about.

I wasnt talking about specific results, I was talking about a principle. If someone needs to design that kind of sounds, that kind of sound will be designed, whether it fits your aesthetic prejudices or not.

On the contrary, I've listened to most of Alva Noto's discography, including Xerox - it's hi-fi glitch. What I'm saying (and several other people as well, if not misreading them) - is that such quality of preset design is not to be found in the majority of presets in the factory library. They're going for lo-fi glitch. Old-school guys or why???

AND, what about all the actual musical styles? Take any UA plugin - and see for yourself that jens is right.
Last edited by perfumer on Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dusted william wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:49 am My survey was only 25 ☹️
They were all $25 vouchers for the survey. For their monthly vouches, you get higher ones based on how much you've spent with them in the past year.

Return to “Effects”