Unfiltered Audio BYOME

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Byometrics Carmen for BYOME Unfiltered Audio BYOME

Send them an email and ask for an extension, worked for me.

sqigls wrote: Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:05 pmcan anyone give me the downlow on the CONS of this beast... CPU use, mod rates... incompatibilities... bugs... any honest feedback, pet peeves.
I guess the main one would be getting caught in a time vortex ?
forgetting to go to work maybe :P
It could be a little more flexible in terms of routing/modularity. Particularly with things like feedback, or envelope followers after effects stages. But then one would be more likely to forget to go to work, so that's a tradeoff :hihi:

There are some issues the developer is aware of (e.g. the crackling granular engine discussed earlier in this thread). One thing I found disturbing is the fact that in LogicX Byome uses a crazy amount of CPU when the GUI is opened, like at least 50% or more. Could be related to Open GL, I'm sure they'll fix it.

I remember someone on KVR claiming that Byome's reverb is unusual in interacting well with their delay---I think the claim was that the reverb itself could be put through the delay and sound good. Which reverb and delay did they probably mean? I've been trying Deep Reverb with Multitap (long tail, lots of taps) and it seems very noisy/harsh even before I add any distortion (or feedback etc.)... if that isn't just my audio driver messing up.

[Edit: Removed a lot of the harshness by setting the Multitap filter to minimum, but it still sounds a little harsh/noisy.]

Deleted
Last edited by woggle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
what you don't know only makes you stronger

Regarding your question I would strongly suggest to get another trial license.

The Plugin is awesome in its possibilities, but with multiple ones in the Session it becomes extremely unstable (at lest on Cubase/Nuendo). Checked alot of Crashdumps and send them to Steinberg also, and the Crash always appears through Byome. Hopefully the coming Bugfix update will fix things :tu:

woggle wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:20 am
Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:53 am I remember someone on KVR claiming that Byome's reverb is unusual in interacting well with their delay---I think the claim was that the reverb itself could be put through the delay and sound good. Which reverb and delay did they probably mean? I've been trying Deep Reverb with Multitap (long tail, lots of taps) and it seems very noisy/harsh even before I add any distortion (or feedback etc.)... if that isn't just my audio driver messing up.

[Edit: Removed a lot of the harshness by setting the Multitap filter to minimum, but it still sounds a little harsh/noisy.]
fine by me - this piece uses two tracks each with an instance of byome with deep reverb going in to multitap. Just a random FM synth preset, no attempt to do anything other than see what byome sounds like. Very little editing in byome either.

https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/test-byome-12/s-KnCpV
The harshness and unwanted noise come in around 0:12, 0:21, 1:02, and 1:08 seconds into your recording, for starters....

Remove
Last edited by woggle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

woggle wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:39 pm
Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:38 pm
woggle wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:20 am
Ou_Tis wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:53 am I remember someone on KVR claiming that Byome's reverb is unusual in interacting well with their delay---I think the claim was that the reverb itself could be put through the delay and sound good. Which reverb and delay did they probably mean? I've been trying Deep Reverb with Multitap (long tail, lots of taps) and it seems very noisy/harsh even before I add any distortion (or feedback etc.)... if that isn't just my audio driver messing up.

fine by me - this piece uses two tracks each with an instance of byome with deep reverb going in to multitap. Just a random FM synth preset, no attempt to do anything other than see what byome sounds like. Very little editing in byome either.

https://soundcloud.com/greghooper/test-byome-12/s-KnCpV
The harshness and unwanted noise come in around 0:12, 0:21, 1:02, and 1:08 seconds into your recording, for starters....
sounds fine to me - that's more a personal preference in sound than problem with the algorithm
Not being able to have delay without noise/distortion does seem like a bit of an issue for a "Build Your Own Modular Effect" set up. But I guess either I'm misremembering the post about reverb and delay, the poster was being inaccurate, or there's a simple fix I'm missing (some sort of filter?...). I actually want to add distortion, but the base-level distortion being produced doesn't sound very good (perhaps that's up to "taste") and is already pretty loud. Maybe I can make it less harsh by adding more and other types of distortion and/or diffuse... but this is not ideal.

Edited
Last edited by woggle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

One thing I noticed is that (some) Modules can do something that sounds like hard clipping when driving them too hard. Also there is no visual indicator, but even when running Byome without any Modules and going too hot into it, it produces digital hard-clipping.

BYOME can do lush spaces alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asKJ3pLxzJI

Symetry wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 9:08 pm One thing I noticed is that (some) Modules can do something that sounds like hard clipping when driving them too hard. Also there is no visual indicator, but even when running Byome without any Modules and going too hot into it, it produces digital hard-clipping.
I've run into that too. Hoping it can be addressed.

Delete
Last edited by woggle on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:05 pm BYOME can do lush spaces alright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asKJ3pLxzJI
Interesting, Renoun Reverb with maximal tail length and amplitude followed by Tape Delay doesn't seem to have the harshness, though I'll have to test it more. (Incidentally, I'm using at least 5 different Carmen Byome presets in this project. Having multiple instances of Byome doesn't seem to be an issue in Bitwig or Waveform, though the gui bug in Waveform makes it a huge pain to use there, and I've been rendering each track with Byome on it individually to save cpu.)

Return to “Effects”