UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm
jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm [snip+crying...]A less popular developer than UVI would have been getting completely roasted for this blatant kind of rip-off, which gets touted as innovation here. [snip+more crying...]
So you are saying this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.49.21 PM.png

is a blatant rip off of this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.48.21 PM.png

?

Yeah... ok. If that's your opinion and your giant beef. Go for it. :phones:
tbh I can see a lot of similarities there; if I was UVI right now I'd be asking the person they appear to have contracted to do this, wtf?

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:56 pm
jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm [snip+crying...]A less popular developer than UVI would have been getting completely roasted for this blatant kind of rip-off, which gets touted as innovation here. [snip+more crying...]
So you are saying this:

?

tbh I can see a lot of similarities there; if I was UVI right now I'd be asking the person they appear to have contracted to do this, wtf?
exactly - and the answer might be - well they're the parameters from the original paper - or it might not.

woggle wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm
So you are saying this:

?

exactly - and the answer might be - well they're the parameters from the original paper - or it might not.
Earlier versions of PA1 looked even more similar as it also had the plate graphic on the right
Amazon: why not use an alternative

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:53 pm So you are saying this:

?

Well, it's so super-obvious - if you don't see it then that's because you're fully determined not to see it. And if you are fully determined not to see it then you won't see it, regardless of how obvious it may ever be. You will only perceive the differences and your subconsciousness will hide the similarities from your conscious perception.

In short: you're just a hopeless fanboi.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

this isn't the first time UVI has straight-up ripped off interfaces and ideas. Compare Motu BPM (developed by UVi) with devine machine/fxpansion Guru. They probably don't give a f**k about it, and neither do their fanboys. I guess this is logical. If a musician ripped off your music, their fanboys wouldn't give a f**k about you either :tu:

Is this actually against the law what they did or are doing? Does anyone know for real?
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

ATS wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:24 pm Is this actually against the law what they did or are doing? Does anyone know for real?
not on here they don't

Yeah but look at this Reverb UI. It has a similar layout and also has nothing to do
with either the UVI or PA1 plugins. On top of that it uses 10x as much cpu...
Pretty suspicious...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 pm Yeah but look at this Reverb UI. It has a similar layout and also has nothing to do
with either the UVI or PA1 plugins. On top of that it uses 10x as much cpu...
Pretty suspicious...
And look at the angle of those knobs, amateurs :ud:

This actually looks like a totally different thing...
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

woggle wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:01 pm
So you are saying this:

?

Obviously I would expect some similarity between physical models of the same thing in terms of params, they are modelling the same thing after all and I guess the underlying math is probably also likely to be broadly similar in at least some respects. But it's that exact sequence of metals, same types and order, plus the ranges etc, that I find harder to account for, particularly given other models, like Valhalla, have chosen very different metals. I'd be interested to hear how that is explained and think the PA developer deserves an explanation too, this (probably) isn't a legal thing but just about honesty and integrity.

Its curious how we tolerate software copies of hardware but not software copies of software

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:45 pm I'd be interested to hear how that is explained and think the PA developer deserves an explanation too, this (probably) isn't a legal thing but just about honesty and integrity.
agree - as I say though it may be a simple as UVI implemented the PA people's design from their public academic work, which includes all those things like materials and ranges. Or not - but I hope we do find out and I am holding off buying the UVI plate until we do. I wish PA was on windows so I could test that as well

PA 1 sounds amazing and uses way less cpu than UVI plate on my (old) mac so I won’t be needing the UVI one. Great month for plate Reverb’s!

Hi folks,

Stefan Bilbao from Physical Audio here---just got word of this thread from Michele and Craig.

Our own philosophy, in the Acoustics and Audio Group at Edinburgh, is to try to be open with the things we work on in our group. That is, we publish them, sometimes even before we have a product coming through PA. This was definitely the case for Michele and Craig, who made the details of PA1 public before it was available for sale. We also have a great relationship with others in industry (Eventide, UA, SoundToys, etc.) with whom we feel like we can enter into technical discussions without worrying about someone stealing an idea (rather than building on it, which is very different, and clearly so). It’s good for everyone, and we also learn a lot about the plugin business---and there’s a lot to learn, that’s for sure!

As far as UVI goes---I think the high road is best. We’re just going to steer clear of those guys in future.

To the person who said that having an acknowledgments section in a book makes it read like a PhD thesis---just check out any respectable audio or acoustics text. Like, for example, Pierce’s “Acoustics.” I used these texts as a kind of style guide. Plus, it’s polite.

In any case, it’s cool to see such a lively discussion about PA1. I’d be curious to get opinions about PA3 “Derailer,” which is the one I was directly involved with.

Stefan

Return to “Effects”