UVI Plate

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Plate

plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm
I am all for plugn companies borrowing from each other to create newer better cheaper products.
Just for the record: UVI Plate is a lot more expensive than PA1.

Even this you could not get right. :dog: :lol:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Harry_HH wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm Sounds interesting, worth to demo.
BTW, UVI is one of those lazy b*****ds in communicating new products to their clients. I haven't got a sinle message of this new product, although being UVI's customer about 10 years, order their mail, and own 9 of their products.
You have probably unsubscribed to the the newsletter because we've sent a newsletter about this.
Olivier Tristan
Developer - UVI Team
http://www.uvi.net

The overlap could be purely from the published academic work from PA1. UVI have always been a good company to deal with in my experience - and PA1 is made by people who have " contributed to the art " as liquidsonics puts it. I worked in academia for years and seldom did any student go off and try and build a company so hats off to them for that.

I really think comments about this should be made with goodwill and without prejudgement and I look forward to clarification from both companies. Not from some "random" on the net
Last edited by woggle on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:40 pm [snip+crying...]A less popular developer than UVI would have been getting completely roasted for this blatant kind of rip-off, which gets touted as innovation here. [snip+more crying...]
So you are saying this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.49.21 PM.png
is a blatant rip off of this:

Screen Shot 2018-10-18 at 3.48.21 PM.png
?

Yeah... ok. If that's your opinion and your giant beef. Go for it. :phones:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by plexuss on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm
Why? How much does the Windows version of PA1 cost? :wink:

What's your point? There is not even a hint of logic in your argument.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:45 pm
plexuss wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:25 pm
I am all for plugn companies borrowing from each other to create newer better cheaper products.

Even this you could not get right. :dog: :lol:
At the moment UVI's Plate is $79 (or £61) vs PA1's £79

otristan wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:39 pm
cjwseven7 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:32 pm Ok, are you able to explain why you chose the material sequence Steel-Gold-Silver-Titanium-Aluminium, like in PA1? These are by no means standard materials for a plate reverb. There are thousands of materials and compounds to choose from. Why those?

Also, the ranges of the control knobs are surprisingly similar to PA1. Why are you letting the area to go up to 6m^2? That's again a non standard size for a plate reverb unit. Same goes for the tension, from 0 to 2000. By the way, I don't think you implemented these features correctly. You don't give physical units on the plate. Also, on your website you are measuring the plate area in metres, not square metres. The tension has no units, which is weird. Also, it is false to claim that the tension raises the frequency of the highest modes ... it should raise the frequency of all the modes, if implemented properly.

There are a number of things that look a little unclear, and I think they would deserve a better explanation.
Harry Truman said once: If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Hopefully this is not what you are trying to do here...

You can contact UVI Plate developer (which is not me) directly through our support channel. He will be happy to answer your questions.

Thanks !
That is a complete 100% non answer. Sounds like you are trying to pass the buck. Honestly this is isn't even a support issue.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

mcbpete wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm At the moment UVI's Plate is $79 (or £61) vs PA1's £79

That's the intro price and as such of course irrelevant: PA1 is a lot older - who knows if they ever had an intro price and if so what it was or if they ever had any kind of sale. If you compare prices you of course have to compare undiscounted prices (except we are talking about Waves or so which are basically always on sale).
Last edited by jens on Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It wouldn't hurt to acknowledge the debt to Physical Audio. There is such a thing as "Acknowledgements". Here are the ones from Stefan Bilbao's book, "Numerical Sound Synthesis":

UVI has a "Credits and Thanks" at the end of the Plate Manual, so they understand the concept. Do we not stand on the shoulders of others? Why does this become something that PA gets alerted to by friends, after-the-fact?
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

Loving the mic and speaker placement parameters - Opens this bad boy up even more with sound sculpting magic.
Last edited by mcbpete on Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cturner wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 pm It wouldn't hurt to acknowledge the debt to Physical Audio. There is such a thing as "Acknowledgements". Here are the ones from Stefan Bilbao's book, "Numerical Sound Synthesis":

UVI has a "Credits and Thanks" at the end of the Plate Manual, so they understand the concept. Do we not stand on the shoulders of others? Why does this become something that PA gets alerted to by friends, after-the-fact?
"Glory is infinitely divisible" - I am a big fan of thanking those that helped and contributed - film credits are a good example.

[that Acknowledgements reads like a published PhD, so there is a formal requirement carrying through]

liquidsonics wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:38 pm I was surprised to find so much information on PA's plate implementation published freely by the developers themselves in a paper available online, a very generous contribution to the art I felt at the time.
Considering that the founders of PA1 are academics and published much of the publicly available research work in implementing this particular type of Plate reverb implementation. It is not surprising at all that other companies would look at those papers and implement similar ideas into their DSP for use in commercial plugins. In the past people would copy from classic Lexicon/Eventide etc reverbs, that included copying everything from the interface to the ranges of the controls. In fact the whole reverb plugin market is based on this.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Wait till Behringer bring out a real plate verb
Amazon: why not use an alternative

jens wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:20 pm
mcbpete wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:14 pm At the moment UVI's Plate is $79 (or £61) vs PA1's £79

That's the intro price and as such of course irrelevant: PA1 is a lot older - who knows if they ever had an intro price and if so what it was or if they ever had any kind of sale. If you compare prices you of course have to compare undiscounted prices (except we are talking about Waves or so which are basically always on sale).
They had a sale in July £55
Amazon: why not use an alternative

Return to “Effects”