wagtunes
KVRAF
14599 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:33 am

Vortifex wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:11 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:53 am
Okay, folks. For those who say CPU intensive, more so than something like Diva or (pick you CPU intensive VST of choice) because I have some supposedly high CPU plugs and don't have any problems running them. Granted, I'm not running 50 instances of Omnisphere or Diva but I figure with something like a tape emulation, I'm only putting it on the mix buss so how bad can one instance be?

I am running an I7 with 16 GIG RAM and also have an SSD drive. A project with 40 to 50 tracks, many of them synths that take up some CPU, not to mention a number of FX inserts, usually only runs about 70% CPU consumption.
Using one instance of Taupe on the master bus in FL Studio with the compressor off, Windows task manager shows an increase of around 2% when I enable Taupe. Compressor on adds another 1%. My CPU is an i7 6700K @ 4ghz. In FL Studio it takes up around 20% on the CPU meter, but that's a quirk of FL. 111ms latency.
Doesn't sound so bad.

hivkorn
KVRAF
2915 posts since 6 Sep, 2007 from France

Re: Acustica Taupe - Hype Or The Real Deal?

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:36 am

ho god i remember when i asked if their plugin are good or not...a total mess!

Vortifex
KVRian
1120 posts since 1 Sep, 2016

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 am

It does sound very nice. Interface is pretty laggy. Already found a nasty bug with the separate compressor module: turn on the pre, turn off the comp and then turn it back on again, you'll get no more audio out of it other than a short burst when you turn it on and off.

Local Man
KVRist
358 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:48 am

If you are interested in Acustica in general, check out their free plugins first. The Tan compressor and I believe the EQ is called Red.
They sound amazing, but as mentioned already, if you are on a Mac they are just about unusable due to their CPU usage. Which is a shame because I would be all in on Acustica if that wasn't the case (they are some of the best I've ever heard). I have a pretty powerful machine so I never complain about CPU usage but they bring my computer to its knees with one instance (no other plugin I've ever used is even half as bad).
They must be fine on windows though because they have a cult like following so someone's gotta be using them without trouble.

kmonkey
KVRAF
3965 posts since 17 Aug, 2004

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:02 am

I think Mac usability is still not mature. On pc their catalog is really amazing and good sounding.

It's really not possible to speak about Tape until one hear it in real life scenario - imo

Judging from youtube and how Acustica plugins sound generally i am pretty sure this will not be just hype.

ceemusic
KVRer
28 posts since 30 Nov, 2015

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:34 am

Learning curve but in general great plugins, try the demo

toonertik
KVRian
772 posts since 15 Feb, 2017

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am

cron wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:03 am
I'm not sure if they still carry it, but Computer Music used to have Nebula CM included on their disc every month. It's old no doubt, but may be worth a look if you want to check out the tech applied to a few different kinds of devices. Double check they still carry it though.
They removed the Nebula some time ago (it was very old Nebula and the tech has moved on) however they do include 2 Acoustica freebies.. an EQ, Acoustica_Pink and a multiband compressor Acoustica_Violet.
KVR topic viewtopic.php?f=6&t=509287

The Noodlist
KVRian
536 posts since 16 Aug, 2017 from Dingleborough UK

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:19 pm

The zero latency versions tend to use more CPU, more for tracking.
I still use Nebula 3 free, there's also quite a few third party restricted demos work with it.
Hardware emulation list. I don't really need anymore effects, I need to learn how to use those I already have.

jancivil
KVRAF
16967 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:31 pm

The demo is pretty far from the commercial version, you won't have much to test there.

It's the single worst experience I've had with software. I'm on a Mac, so there's that. But the serial file quit working three times, through no action of mine. It was a big deal each time because the developer is kind of out-to-lunch. I had to sit and wait for days to get a reply. He's a great guy but...
The UI of the thing is like something out of 1996. Unless he's done something. It's a weird, weird thing to try and use.

The things I did use, I believe it's by 'CD Master' - CD Soundmaster - a guy out of Atlanta area, really sound great. I had to buy Acustica to use those. I remember after I sold them, replacing them in the channels I had them inserted in wasn't even going to happen. So that, 3rd party library (R2R) or libraries sounded wonderful, using Acustica Nebula was finally intolerable.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jancivil
KVRAF
16967 posts since 20 Oct, 2007 from No Location

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:33 pm

Oh yeah, at that time you had to go through his forum to get any support. So there's another hoop to jump through.
This was around 9 yrs ago, I would hope things have changed.

wagtunes
KVRAF
14599 posts since 8 Oct, 2014

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:52 pm

From what I'm hearing, looks like I'll be passing on this one.

Thanks guys.

vurt
addled muppet weed
40684 posts since 26 Jan, 2003 from through the looking glass

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:55 pm

cron wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:50 am
wagtunes wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:49 am
plexuss wrote:
Thu Nov 08, 2018 8:27 am
Avoid, especially if you are on macOS. If you want more details, PM me. Last time I got into this in the forum Acustica doxed me. :phones:
PM sent
No way! Mate, that's appalling.
yes, it was. i witnessed it, after seeing the way they treated a customer in an open forum it made me add them to the "probably wont do business with them in the future" column.

sleepcircle
KVRian
539 posts since 28 Nov, 2016

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm

i cannot guarantee acoustica audio's sound but i can guarantee u-he satin. it isn't a replica of any particular tape unit, it just simulates tape with typical u-he precision.

scalawag
KVRian
587 posts since 3 May, 2004

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:51 pm

Anyone noticed this on the Youtube video info?
"Mixed on a Quantica/Modula console at Acustica Audio"

bmanic
KVRAF
8264 posts since 3 Feb, 2003 from Finland, Espoo

Post Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:12 pm

Copy paste from Gearslutz:

Just composed a quick little oldschool Infected Mushroom type loop to demonstrate Taupe for those that can't get the download working or are on the fence.

This is 15 tracks of simple drums and synths. Every single track except the master bus has an instance of TAUPE on it. That's it, nothing fancy.. just various models from TAUPE chosen to suite the track in question, driven to various degrees of tape compression and harmonic goodness.

I think the plugin speaks for itself quite well. :tu:

TAUPE OFF <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

TAUPE ON <-- Google Drive link. 16bit 44.1kHz.

Volume matched quickly by ear watching the master limiter so as to get similar amounts of peak limiting. It's probably off by about +/- 0.5dB or so.. load into your daw and tweak if necessary. I made this simple so you can easily loop it.
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

Return to “Effects”