Sonimus Satson CS (Pre-order, Release Mid Dec)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This guy looks yummy

"Satson Channel Strip is a powerful virtual rack which allows you to use up to eight Satson Series modules in one plugin.
This is a great option for processing individual mix elements and sub-groups, as well as producing end-to-end mixes.
These modules can be re-arranged via drag and drop, giving you control of the signal path in an intuitive way."

"Today you can pre-order Satson Channel Strip for the unbeatable price of $59.
Satson Channel Strip will be released in the middle of December.
If you buy the product today, you will receive it on the release date."

I`m not sure, looks like components do work standalone as well.

I`m out of money now, but the sound must be top ...

https://sonimus.com/products/SatsonCS/
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

The compressor alone would be a steal at that price.

The components do work stand alone.

this looks nice, but i sold VMR and never bothered with McDSP modular channel-strips for this reason - it's a workflow killer. if they also offer ability to use individual modules as plugins - yeah, now we're talking. i know the EQ is pretty much Stone4k, and preamp section is most likely Satson (without the bus section and grouping?), but i don't see the comp being available individually so far. if it was - i wouldn't even bother with the channel strip. i can see that it's possible to load one module into the strip, but let's not pretend it's the same as providing individual plugins - you have to select the module, and the plugin ID is the same everywhere so no mass bypassing.

are there more modules planned? also, no in/out VU meters without the preamp?
Last edited by Burillo on Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

You can alt click to delete modules you don't want in the rack effectively pairing it down to a single plugin if desired.

Recourt wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 am You can alt click to delete modules you don't want in the rack effectively pairing it down to a single plugin if desired.
exactly. which isn't the same as providing single plugins. see this vs. IK MM T-Racks - there's a "shell" module that allows you to chain stuff in various (flexible!) ways, but the individual modules within that shell are also available as separate plugins. this is convenient. "remove all the modules so you have a single module" is not equivalent to "using modules as single plugins".

as i said, workflow killer. there are times when i like channel strips. there are other times when i want just the one plugin within that channel strip.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

It would be cool if they did a stand alone release of the bus comp. Then you could buy all the modules separately or as the strip.

Burillo wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:49 am
Recourt wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:46 am You can alt click to delete modules you don't want in the rack effectively pairing it down to a single plugin if desired.
exactly. which isn't the same as providing single plugins. see this vs. IK MM T-Racks - there's a "shell" module that allows you to chain stuff in various (flexible!) ways, but the individual modules within that shell are also available as separate plugins. this is convenient. "remove all the modules so you have a single module" is not equivalent to "using modules as single plugins".
I don't think you are right here...

look at this screenshot:

There's no further visual elements besides the processor itself, so I don't see how this would any significantly different from using a standalone plugin (well that's my impression at least from looking at the screenshot). You really can't compare this with T-Racks where the shell really is a whole big host environment offering various functions, using a lot of screen estate, eating RAM and so forth.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:04 am I don't think you are right here...

look at this screenshot:

There's no further visual elements besides the processor itself, so I don't see how this would any significantly different from using a standalone plugin (well that's my impression at least from looking at the screenshot). You really can't compare this with T-Racks where the shell really is a whole big host environment offering various functions, using a lot of screen estate, eating RAM and so forth.
single plugin:

1) go to plugin folder
2) select plugin
3) enjoy mass-bypass if desired

you're done.

channel-strip-type plugins (Satson CS included):

1) go to plugin folder
2) remember that CS is a thing and has a compressor/EQ/preamp inside it (i keep my plugins sorted, so i don't go for "channel strips" unless i specifically need one)
3) select plugin
4) remove all unneeded modules and leave only one i'm interested in
5) rename plugin (because it's named "Satson CS" - i don't know what it is from looking at it in the FX chain, i have to open the plugin to remember that it's a compressor)
6) no mass bypass because a bus comp inside Satson CS is the same as preamp inside Satson CS as far as the DAW is concerned - both of them are technically the same plugin

so, yeah. not the same. our DAWs are modular channel strips already (with drag-n-drop and everything already included), why do people go for this channel-strip-within-a-channel-strip approach is beyond my comprehension.

Have I missed something? The price for anyone is $59. The price for me, who owns every plugin they sell, is $59. Are these completely new components?
Last edited by morelia on Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

nope they aren't. the preamp appears to be Satson, the EQ is Stone4k. The only thing new there is the shell and the compressor.

The eq doesn't have the drive control from StonEQ. Not sure if they are exactly the same but the new EQ sounds sweet. Really hard to make it sound bad. I love StonEQ too but it seems a little different to me. I could be wrong though, I haven't done a serious comparison of the two eqs yet.

Recourt wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:08 am The eq doesn't have the drive control from StonEQ. Not sure if they are exactly the same but the new EQ sounds sweet. Really hard to make it sound bad. I love StonEQ too but it seems a little different to me. I could be wrong though, I haven't done a serious comparison of the two eqs yet.
try doing a null test. that'll answer your question (and ours too) :)

They do null at default settings.

Recourt wrote: Fri Nov 23, 2018 12:10 pm They do null at default settings.
ummm... yeah, most any plugin would :) i was talking about duplicating same settings on both, and doing a null test then.

Return to “Effects”