If you buy a tape vst today.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

DjRubble wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm Satin and Saturn from U-he and fabfilter are all the tape emulation I think anyone should ever need
Thanks for telling me what I should need.

I think all you need is an EQ and a compressor.

No, apparently, so I've been led to believe, all you need is love :hihi:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 pm No, apparently, so I've been led to believe, all you need is love :hihi:
does "self love" count?

asking for a friend.

airwindows to tape 5 , flutter to max gives artifacts over here when over 0.7
I would assume it would introduce a slight modulated delay wobble ,fluctuation , but it sounds grainny
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

vurt wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:45 pm
jethrobull wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:42 pm No, apparently, so I've been led to believe, all you need is love :hihi:
does "self love" count?

asking for a friend.
Of course it does. I mean, if you can't love yourself who can you love?

So I've been told :P
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

gentleclockdivider wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:48 pm airwindows to tape 5 , flutter to max gives artifacts over here when over 0.7
I would assume it would introduce a slight modulated delay wobble ,fluctuation , but it sounds grainny
I'd recommend reading the entire text about the plugin on airwindows website. There he tells you the reasonable value range. Personally i'd never go over 0.3 on Flutter and 0.1 on Fatter. He give you extreme range to screw things up if thats your thing but i presonally disagree with the allowed ranges. In other words, 0.7 flutter gives artifacts becaues it goes way beyond what is intended if you use ToTape5 as an actual tape machine simulation. Subtlety is key.

If you would like full-scale wobble, you can get "chorus" from airwindows, and set it to 100% wet, and it'll let you warp the signal from a gentle wow all the way up to a ring-mod.

perpetual3 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm
DjRubble wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:24 pm Satin and Saturn from U-he and fabfilter are all the tape emulation I think anyone should ever need

<3 your welcome, and your right, I literally just got a nice eq and a compressor, to beef up my tape, that you need

DjRubble wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:24 pm
perpetual3 wrote: Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:34 pm

<3 your welcome, and your right, I literally just got a nice eq and a compressor, to beef up my tape, that you need
Perfect 👌🏻

CinningBao wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:50 pm Here's a new one:

https://aberrantdsp.com/plugins/sketchcassette/
Interesting. Thanks for posting. :)

I have:

satin
wowcontrol
softube tape
black rooster magneto
totape 5
and a few others...

here's what I think:

for authentic Tape: Satin wins for me. But, I don't think most people, when they are going for a tape "sim" they are going for authentic sounding studio tape machine. I think they are going for an effect, a vibe. Calibrated studio tape machines were very expensive and precise instruments that sought to minimize the sound of tape.

For vibe and sound I think that Ghz Wowcontrol is the best it has far and away the best pitch modulation options. I think that Softube Tape when pushed has a marginally better sound. I would put Black Rooster's sim somewhere in there, too. Totape is not my cup of tea -- more like Satin and than effect.

Best tape sim? Get a 3-head deck and bounce things out and back in again through it.

Last thing is that recently I've been using echo/delay effects that color the sound with a 0ms delay time to get some tape effects and these may even beat Ghz. ValhallaDelay can be used this way. set it to 100% wet, 0ms delay (or low as you can go) and then play through. EchoBoy is also awesome in this way (it has a lot of different profiles for tape and BBD and tin can delays.)

Noumena wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:56 pm I have:

satin
wowcontrol
softube tape
black rooster magneto
totape 5
and a few others...

here's what I think:

for authentic Tape: Satin wins for me. But, I don't think most people, when they are going for a tape "sim" they are going for authentic sounding studio tape machine. I think they are going for an effect, a vibe. Calibrated studio tape machines were very expensive and precise instruments that sought to minimize the sound of tape.

For vibe and sound I think that Ghz Wowcontrol is the best it has far and away the best pitch modulation options. I think that Softube Tape when pushed has a marginally better sound. I would put Black Rooster's sim somewhere in there, too. Totape is not my cup of tea -- more like Satin and than effect.

Best tape sim? Get a 3-head deck and bounce things out and back in again through it.

Last thing is that recently I've been using echo/delay effects that color the sound with a 0ms delay time to get some tape effects and these may even beat Ghz. ValhallaDelay can be used this way. set it to 100% wet, 0ms delay (or low as you can go) and then play through. EchoBoy is also awesome in this way (it has a lot of different profiles for tape and BBD and tin can delays.)
VDelay and echoboy are the best bang for the buck plugs out there.

perpetual3 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 pm
Noumena wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:56 pm I have:

satin
wowcontrol
softube tape
black rooster magneto
totape 5
and a few others...

here's what I think:

VDelay and echoboy are the best bang for the buck plugs out there.
No their not.

this could go either way.

Return to “Effects”