Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 am
simmo75 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 am Any opinions on ReMidi?
It’s $19 at PB.
It's a bunch of classical music in midi form--famous old stuff. It slices the scores into small chunks you can play with a keyboard or other midi device (you can also drag the whole score into a track). I've only tinkered with it a bit (made shoddy versions of "Fur Elise" and "Ode to Joy"). I probably wasted my money, as I already don't feel like using it, but who knows? In a dry spell, I might get something out of it.
Thanks for the honest summary.

I'm having a lot of fun with it after partially going through the video posted above.

simmo75 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:02 am
Dirtgrain wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:00 am
simmo75 wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:09 am Any opinions on ReMidi?
It’s $19 at PB.
It's a bunch of classical music in midi form--famous old stuff. It slices the scores into small chunks you can play with a keyboard or other midi device (you can also drag the whole score into a track). I've only tinkered with it a bit (made shoddy versions of "Fur Elise" and "Ode to Joy"). I probably wasted my money, as I already don't feel like using it, but who knows? In a dry spell, I might get something out of it.
Thanks for the honest summary.
The content it arrives with IS mostly classical, public-domain stuff, though not entirely (and there's a TON of it including lots of not well known things); there's some nice bluesy guitar riffs, too, and a bunch of other stuff in the "Folk" category. But you can point it at ANY folder of MIDI files and manipulate the playback of anything just the same as with the included library. Did you watch that longer video above? It shows the real point of the app, which is definitely NOT to play back familiar songs, it's to pull out phrases and clips from ANY MIDI file, in a very easily-adjusted way, for reimagining and repurposing, speeding up or down, transposing and time-shifting so easily in real-time, into familiar (or new) sound sources, whether for composition, inspiration, or even just as a really effective sample/sound testing helper.

It's so simple yet deep that its uses are very broad, but since it's such a new concept (MIDI…sampling!??), it IS hard to initially see how it might be useful. That long video above, where it's used with Scaler and an expensive orchestral sample collection, is an eyeear-opener, for sure, IMO:)

I think it’s more obvious what to do with ReMidi if you have a load of old .mid files kicking about, but obviously most people don’t need to export midi, just use it within a DAW, but getting into exporting midi clips to build a personal library is actually a useful resource in itself as you can preview clips in Reaper, Bitwig etc.

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

The reMidi video posted above just sounded like Bach to me - transposing and slowing it down is not going to change that (probably why Bach is Bach). Taking a measure of that midi and then varying it using the tools in Rapid Composer (negative melody transformations, retrograde inversions, etc.), however, has the potential to yield something useful and a little different.

^^^
Yes it did continue to sound Bachish. Perhaps some randomization may yield some less Bachish results.
Wonder if connecting RC to Chord Prism https://www.chordprism.com/ might give greater variations.

^^^
All you need to do to get greater variations from reMIDI is intend to do so, unlike the guy making the video, who keeps saying he's keeping it simple: Only two notes running into it and only one MIDI file selected in reMIDI through-out the entire video, out of the endless universe of other file possibilities and his whole DAW's worth of other notes, in any other arrangements. Two notes means only 2 snippets from his one MIDI file choice were ever used, endlessly looped, into the same orchestral sounds. THAT's the reason all his examples sounded the same.

…esp. with the new version with its drag'n'drop pads, which lets you easily combine any MIDI snippets with any others, not just to take from a single MIDI file…which could of course NOT be an already composed piece, but one you compiled yourself from snippets of your own choosing, thrown together from any number of different sources, dragged out of RC, EZ-Keys, MIDI beat loops, your improvs, reMIDI itself, Unify, anywhere.

And since it's a plug-in, you can easily stack any number of other real-time input-processing MIDI fx after reMIDI: arps, probability adders, randomizers, chorders, modulated scale selectors, quantizers, re-rhythmatizers… Or put note-selecting FX in front: arps, sequencers, modulated transposers, whatever.
Last edited by David on Sun Feb 21, 2021 8:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

^^^
Great ideas!: :love:

I just checked my copy of reMIDI and confirmed that there are actually a very large number of not-classical (meaning not just the "Classical" period, but all "old" music, from medieval to 19th century, plus hymns) MIDI files in the Folk and Jazz categories, and saw that I'd mis-spoke before about the bluesy guitar stuff I'd mentioned. The file I was referring to came from here, not from reMIDI:

https://indiginus.com/freedownloads.html
(once downloaded, you'll find a MIDI Files folder in amongst the sample instrument demos, etc.)
That small but choice collection is a very good example of how really good many of the free MIDI files available online are, IMO. (I'm an ex-guitar player, so I particularly scrounge around for guitaristic MIDI.)

I'm going on and on about reMIDI simply because it seems to me an absolute and deeply multi-purpose no-brainer steal at $19, for anyone interested in the MIDI-messing-around-with aspect of computer music making as I guess most of us who read this thread are. At the very least it seems to me to be an essential MIDI Utility.

Ha, I forgot that someone already did an electonic "Fur Elise."

Maybe I will one up them at some point. But, really, Remidi could get one to some interpretive tracks like this.
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Re: VCV rack and inter-app audio/MIDI/CV, or inter-app audio/MIDI/CV in general (a much more interesting topic to me than trying to convince others about an app that suits me!), I'm reposting what I think I posted over a year ago, concerning one well-equipped user's experiences with hardware solutions, in hopes that some readers here may have other experiences, and maybe even some insight into why MIDI 2 is taking so long to manifest in current apps; it's from another forum (Numerology, here):
09-06-2019, 09:08 AM
Inter-app Virtual CV

So I did some experimenting with a few things. First I tried Soundflower and Loopback. They work for sending CV as audio between VCV rack and your DAW, but performance is not good enough and it's not very stable. Then I tried using the virtual audio channels of my audio interface. My motu 16A lets me create more channels than I have actual physical I/O for, I guess for using with their AVB networking features. The 16A has a maximum of 32 physical in and out, but if I'm using thunderbolt I can create a setup with 128 I/O with virtual channels. I can use those virtual channels to send audio between VCV rack and ableton, with high performance and stability. So until there's a high performance, inter-app standard for sending audio and/or virtual CV, using the virtual channels of networkable audio interfaces (Dante-capable, or AVB) is a viable option. For now the biggest limitation for doing this with VCV rack is the fact that right now you can only have one active audio I/O module in a rack or it crashes. And the way you select banks of channels for those modules is not flexible. But the VCV dev community is receptive to suggestions and sometimes they are lightening-fast.
Quote Flag Like 0
djb

09-06-2019, 09:22 AM
Of course, I expect all of this to be rendered moot in the medium-term future. VCV rack is expected to be available as a plugin, perhaps before the end of the year and probably within six months. And over the coming year or two, I expect to start seeing MIDI 2.0 protocols that will be fast and hi-res enough to be totally adequate for virtual CV. Jim, I hope all the work you're doing on N5 will be adaptable to these new protocols. Perhaps you're waiting until concrete info about them is available? That's what I would do.
Seems that the Motu 8A is the cheapest MOTU device that has similar specs to the 16A mentioned—that's twice as much! Still damn expensive!

Has anyone here jumped into Monome Norns yet? I picked up the Shield over the holidays (https://market.monome.org/products/norns-shield), and with the help of the lines community have been able to set up two Novation Launchpads to operate as a single 128 pad grid (see here: https://llllllll.co/t/norns-alternative-grids/26909). The Monome Grid is prohibitively expensive IMHO (usually $700), but using two Launchpads gets you where you need to be :).

Now, I am looking to learn Arcologies (among other scripts), that appears to have massive generative potential, including for outboard gear. Check this out for a taste:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UMsj4z ... e=emb_logo

Arcologies reminds me of Cracklefield in concept but far less musical than Cracklefield (at least from what the above video demonstrates).
They may be two different animals in some respects but the grid/cells/movement attributes (also found in other sequencers) are similar.

I was just referencing Arcologies as an example of the type of thing that is available for Norns. There are hundreds of different scripts, many of which are of the unusual midi-generating variety. Plus, you can also play scripts originally written for the Organelle on Norns.

I haven't yet dug deep into Arcologies, but know that it is much deeper than what the video shows. Each cell can actually have one of 15 different attributes. It is fairly new and (like everything else Norns) open source, so is in active development by the community. I expect that more attributes and functionality will be added in the coming months.

David wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:08 pm I just checked my copy of reMIDI and ...
Hope this is not bad behavior, but address to you as someone active in using it.
I find the plug unstable, locking up both Studio One and FL Studio, when driving slice selection from a piano roll versus manual selection.

Return to “Effects”