Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

dopet wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:53 pm I...
@BluesMuse:

You can totally edit/randomize one track at a time. Under the GO button you will see the word ALL plus the numbers for each track (1-5). You can click on one of them to highlight that track number. Now that track will be the only one affected by the randomizing features. Another way: Click on the main track number ( the big ones in a circle down the left side). Once that number is highlighted, it is selected for randomization. All the others will remain UN-affected.
I apologize for not making clear that I want to randomize individual controls on individual tracks. I was aware of the ability to lock or work on a single track at a time. BTW the C3 note to make the transport respond to the DAW can really be any note. It is actually quite handy when you are messing around with the variables to just press any note on your keyboard. It will play from start and continue as long as you hold it. Let up- play stops. Make a change in the settings. Press a MIDI key again and it restarts play from the beginning. Makes auditioning go faster.
Homebrew MSI Ryzen 3700x 32G RAM 4.5 Ghz, Win 10 Pro 22H2, Focusrite 2i2 v3 i/o, Komplete S49, Ableton Live 12, FL 21, Studio One

BluesMuse wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:20 pm
dopet wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:53 pm I...
@BluesMuse:

You can totally edit/randomize one track at a time. Under the GO button you will see the word ALL plus the numbers for each track (1-5). You can click on one of them to highlight that track number. Now that track will be the only one affected by the randomizing features. Another way: Click on the main track number ( the big ones in a circle down the left side). Once that number is highlighted, it is selected for randomization. All the others will remain UN-affected.
I apologize for not making clear that I want to randomize individual controls on individual tracks. I was aware of the ability to lock or work on a single track at a time. BTW the C3 note to make the transport respond to the DAW can really be any note. It is actually quite handy when you are messing around with the variables to just press any note on your keyboard. It will play from start and continue as long as you hold it. Let up- play stops. Make a change in the settings. Press a MIDI key again and it restarts play from the beginning. Makes auditioning go faster.
Ahhh... I got ya' now. Yes, that would be a nice addition. :) Thanks for the info that the note makes no difference. I either heard or saw C3 mentioned and never tried another one. :) That was the 1st and only one note I drew in on the InstaComposer track. :)

For randomizing parameters check out homegrown Sounds.
Every parameter has a randomizer. :)
The "R" stands for Randomize.
And there are "R"'s everywhere!
https://hgsounds.com/product/serenity-group-buy/

OneOfManyPauls wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:36 am Just a quick note that I never did get instacomposer to verify via the key - kept saying "no internet connection". Support finally sent me this today, which did allow me to fix the problem:
We have discovered that our InstaComposer licensing system may not function correctly on anything earlier than macOS Big Sur.

I highly recommend you update to macOS Big Sur, as this problem will likely affect more than just our InstaComposer plugin moving forward. However, if you are unable to do so, here is a workaround that will likely fix the problem for now:

Please paste the attached license file into the license folder
Thanks much for this!

So their fix worked for you? What OS are you running?? Mojave? Want to know what OS their fix worked on

I'm not upgrading to Big Sur just for InstaComposer.

bharris22 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:00 pm
fairlyclose wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:19 am
bharris22 wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:02 am
fairlyclose wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:21 pm
Alchemedia wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:12 pm But can you run it w/o Steam?
Dont think so - but I am now contrasting with using midi notes to trigger Stochas fragments and that might be easier to get similar. Having some trouble getting Stochas to start and stop or mute and unmute reliably tho.

EDIT - working a treat now - not sure why I was having so much trouble last night
Anyway Reaper, free item positioning mode and Stochas is a winner. I dont think I will bother with midinous now, although it is a great start from that developer
Would you mind providing a little additional detail regarding this Reaper/Stochas setup and how you are using it to get results similar to Midinous?

Thanks!

this setup does not exactly mimic midinous but for my purposes this is the sort of thing I can do - and I quite like Midinous and will follow its development
make a sequence with Stochas, using the note probability options
set mute to C3 unmute to C2 in Stochas midimapping

make a midi clip for C2 and another for C3 and position them where you want on a free item position track in Reaper. Copy, Stretch and shorten the clips as desired (oh, Stochas is on this track so it can receive those C')

Anyway you can elaborate that to any extent
Thank you very much!

Steam is a no-go for me, but I will likely pick up Nodal at some point in the near future, as it has been on my radar for a while.

Shame about Midinous, though. I sent a support request to see if there is any way to buy/install it without Steam, but am not hopeful.
The answer is no, unfortunately.

dopet wrote:
>>The 'Sync' button in InstaComposer just tells it to get the BPM data from the DAW. It doesn't actually sync the playback. You need to draw in note C3 in your DAW to make that happen (confusing, I know). I found that '16 bars' in InstaComposer = '4 Bars' in studio one 5. So, I just drew the note C3 for 4 bars in Studio One and was able to get it to work nicely.
>Yes, I got that, thanks. I want to know how to make the number of IC's tracks match up with S1's without compensating.

dbender wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 1:33 am
OneOfManyPauls wrote: Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:36 am Just a quick note that I never did get instacomposer to verify via the key - kept saying "no internet connection". Support finally sent me this today, which did allow me to fix the problem:
We have discovered that our InstaComposer licensing system may not function correctly on anything earlier than macOS Big Sur.

I highly recommend you update to macOS Big Sur, as this problem will likely affect more than just our InstaComposer plugin moving forward. However, if you are unable to do so, here is a workaround that will likely fix the problem for now:

Please paste the attached license file into the license folder
Thanks much for this!

So their fix worked for you? What OS are you running?? Mojave? Want to know what OS their fix worked on

I'm not upgrading to Big Sur just for InstaComposer.
yeah, mojave - I have a hard drive full of hundreds of other plugins that don't have an issue, so not going to upgrade this mac to big sur just to make one developer's life a bit easier

Great, thank you. Good to know it worked for you in Mojave.

Hi all!

RE: InstaComposer - I finally uploaded the demo track I put together using the plugin. This idea came together quite quickly and the plugin has been quite the joy to use so far. I went with a more 'moody/electronic style' as opposed to something EDM driven. The moody style is what I tend to like more anyhow. :)

All parts except for the drums have been created with InstaComposer. I didn't edit the midi inside or outside of the plugin as I wanted to keep it as 'raw' as possible just to see what it was going to dish up. Just a note: the bass line (using Phonec 2) has an occasional octave jump ... that was part of the bass patch I created inside the synth.

Anyhow, link is below if you are so inclined to listen. :) Feel free to ask any questions.

https://soundcloud.com/thesoundden_us/t ... 57ce87b0e2

dopet wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 5:12 am Hi all!

RE: InstaComposer - I finally uploaded the demo track I put together using the plugin. This idea came together quite quickly and the plugin has been quite the joy to use so far. I went with a more 'moody/electronic style' as opposed to something EDM driven. The moody style is what I tend to like more anyhow. :)

All parts except for the drums have been created with InstaComposer. I didn't edit the midi inside or outside of the plugin as I wanted to keep it as 'raw' as possible just to see what it was going to dish up. Just a note: the bass line (using Phonec 2) has an occasional octave jump ... that was part of the bass patch I created inside the synth.

Anyhow, link is below if you are so inclined to listen. :) Feel free to ask any questions.

https://soundcloud.com/thesoundden_us/t ... 57ce87b0e2
Hi Anthony,

sadly I am at work now so I cant listen to the track (will do when I am back home), but as it looks kind of "complete" I wonder how you mange to do different parts (intro, verse, chorus....) in InstaComposer as there is no option for different parts so far ?

@tatanka: you are correct that there isn’t any way to manage song parts in IC. Admittedly, the song I attached isn’t super ‘sophisticated’ in regards to many varied song parts. :). I just worked with different layers of sounds as the track progressed to add more/different colors.

More generally speaking, I have used these types of plugins software for longer format songs, etc. Regardless of the plugins song section ability, I usually just drag/drop a number of different ideas per track (bass, piano, pad, etc) into my DAW (in Studio One, I use the Scratch Track feature to stockpile ‘bass ideas’ or ‘piano melody’ ideas for example). Once I get a few pieces collected, I go about putting them together. If I need a new section of the song (chords, melody, etc) I’ll start that whole process again :).

Most times I find that these midi generators are great song idea jump starters. Sometimes all that is needed is a little nudge (be it a chord progression or melody) and the whole track will start to write itself. Sometimes I use the tools quite a bit as I move thru the sections. :)

@Anthony: thanks a lot for the "insight" :tu:

Yes, that is more or less like I usually use these kind of tools. And as I am mostly into chill/ambient kind of stuff there "songstructure" in the classical way is questionable in general. But for me it just often helps to "structure" my ideas a bit so that I would really like something like that ("parts") inside InstaComposer. Already sent my ideas to Roman (WA), we will see....They said that you could use more instances for this but that could get confusing very soon and one of the big points for me is how easy it is to use. What I find even more restriction is that you cant "lock" your settings for the part you are working on when trying out a new chordprogression for example. That would help a lot to maintain kind of general "song" mood.

Even if it took a while (and a lot more guys and girls requesting this I am sure) but Orb Producer now has been improved a lot from V2 to V3 especially in this case (up to 5 parts and you can generate a new song for all instances with the settings you have set with a click of a button).

Next sketch maybe try to put them together, both have definitely its very unique strength and weaks, lets see how the chord naming matches, this has often been a dissclassifier for matching these tools if the chord naming dont fit at all.

Bought IC. FR = Generate selected bars only.

Great work @dopet!
You kicked me over the threshold with your track ;-)

I can't drag Midi into Bitwig 4 on Windows 8.1, but it's easy enough to park it on the HD and drag from thereuntil that fix is getting posted. EDIT: Or so I thought, but the export is broken and can't be opened by anything - that's probably the reason why it won't work via direct drag and drop as well.

@Musical Gym: I think the "Bars" in InstaComposer aren't Bars but quarter notes/beats...? That would explain the 4:1 length relation.

It's quite interesting so far, although the bass tends to be quite busy for my taste compared with the other tracks. But I'm slowing it down a lot anyway for more ambient things... ;-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
Sculptures ScreenDream Mastodon

Don't know if the dev reads this thread, but I agree more simple basslines would be great. I've also asked support for being able to transpose an octave instead of only up to 11 semitones. The undo option in reaper also doesn't work, so I've asked if that could be added. Especially in the midi editor I keep deleting things by mistake and can't undo. I'm also wondering what is meant by AI. If they've used deep learning by feeding it midi files, it would be awesome if we could feed it our own midi files and base the output on those so it's closer to the genre I'm making. Lastly, unless I'm missing something, there's no way to preview a chord when making your own progression, I'd love to be able to do that.

Return to “Effects”