Your fave MIDI fx, arp, mapper, mangler, generator, chorder, controller, utility. VST or MFX

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

The developers of MelodySauce had stated that soon a new chord generator will be released.
How soon?
https://evabeat.com/

+1 for Kirnu free VST arpeggiator by Arto Vaarala.
"I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not too sure."
Checkout my blog: VST Plugins Free Download.

I see that Midi Madness is on sale at Plugin Boutique for approximately $60. Does anyone know if this - or any of the other midi FX/ARP discussed in this thread would follow a pre-existing midi chord progression, rather than generating its own? I know that Nora does this - taking the midi in and applying the arpeggiator to those midi notes. Do Riffer, Midi Madness or any others do this, as well? I like Nora's results, but the preset browsing (or lack of it) drives me crazy.

Thanks!

David wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm I did some short RC video feature demos . . .
Hi - these are fantastic - thank you very much! Would it be possible for you to do a similar short video showing your workflow with EZKeys as you described above? I would certainly find that very helpful, and I am sure others would, as well.

Thanks again!!

bharris22 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 pm I see that Midi Madness is on sale at Plugin Boutique for approximately $60. Does anyone know if this - or any of the other midi FX/ARP discussed in this thread would follow a pre-existing midi chord progression, rather than generating its own? I know that Nora does this - taking the midi in and applying the arpeggiator to those midi notes. Do Riffer, Midi Madness or any others do this, as well? I like Nora's results, but the preset browsing (or lack of it) drives me crazy.

Thanks!
I will not buy any midi fx and such for the time being.
I await the release of Architect and see what it will offer feature wise.
viewtopic.php?t=517474

Autotheory 5 is out
http://autotheory.net/
Anyone using it?

Still waiting to see the full feature list of Architect.
So not spending any $$$ on anything to do with midi.

Kalamata Kid wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:56 pm Autotheory 5 is out
http://autotheory.net/
Anyone using it?

Still waiting to see the full feature list of Architect.
So not spending any $$$ on anything to do with midi.
It's buggy. See here: viewtopic.php?f=269&t=524362
"Hell is other People" J.P.Sartre

bharris22 wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:39 pm I see that Midi Madness is on sale at Plugin Boutique for approximately $60. Does anyone know if this - or any of the other midi FX/ARP discussed in this thread would follow a pre-existing midi chord progression, rather than generating its own? I know that Nora does this - taking the midi in and applying the arpeggiator to those midi notes. Do Riffer, Midi Madness or any others do this, as well? I like Nora's results, but the preset browsing (or lack of it) drives me crazy.

Thanks!
You mean to automatically follow a pre-existing midi chord progression?
Perhaps allow for some variation?

What I would like to see is a plugin or stand alone that takes in single midi notes of short passages and maybe even a whole song then analyse the whole passage then offer various chord progressions.

Allow in preferences to select add or remove or repeat notes or chords to make the chord progression viable. Allow in preferences to select various degrees of freedom to stray from the single note passage to maintain the chord progression.

"What I would like to see is a plugin or stand alone that takes in single midi notes of short passages and maybe even a whole song then analyse the whole passage then offer various chord progressions. "

That'd be Scaler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynsmpxUIlo

And Rapid Composer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOkUpQtyaY

Liquid notes from Re-Compose should have been exactly that but it seems they - in the end - just failed (maybe its just to complex) and do much "simpler" (more specific on one target only) stuff now. I tried out some realy simple song progressions to import with liquid notes and the result was really ridiculous bad. So it might only worked if you do the progressions withing already but was not the main target, so I just deleted the demo. Got the new I2c8 from them now but thats only for making progressions and really stripped down in case of functions, and nearly no real devellopment since it came out (even if they now updated to 1.4).

David wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:02 pm "What I would like to see is a plugin or stand alone that takes in single midi notes of short passages and maybe even a whole song then analyse the whole passage then offer various chord progressions. "

That'd be Scaler:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mynsmpxUIlo

And Rapid Composer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTOkUpQtyaY
Thanks. Good suggestions.
Scaler is closer to what I had in mind than Rapid Composer.

What I would like to see is a plugin or stand-alone that takes in single midi notes of short passages and maybe even a whole song then analyze the whole passage then offer various chord progressions. The analyses is not in real time.

Then click play to hear the chord progression suggestions. Perhaps there may be levels of constraints.

Allow to edit the singles notes and re-analyze.
Allow to edit any of the suggested chords and then re-analyze.

Select all midi notes even if in clusters to be treated as single notes. Or choose midi note clusters can be treated as chords. Or better allow user to select at what point do midi note clusters to be treated as chords.

Select: Allow chords to be out of key. Or perhaps choose how strict the rules are.
Select single notes out of key to be deleted, to be moved, to be shortened and reduced velocity.

Select convert all midi notes to chords. Convert as many to chords if fit the Chord progression. Add or delete notes to help the progression.

This thread has been one of all-time favorites as the contributors have posted really helpful and detailed information.

I read some of the technical posts in the Loomer forum but still not any closer to understanding what Architect can do. So though at first I was convinced I would be a buyer now I am not sure.

It has to do with features, presets, effects, utilities and whatever is midi related. I am a preset guy that tweaks the presets and clicks on randomize. I do like to work with midi so Architect got my attention.

Questions:

Does Architect mostly do generative midi using scripts?

Can Architect do the something similar to the Cubase Logic Editor, Transformer, Input Transformer?

What will it have to offer with chord progression?

What midi fx will it have?

I am currently looking at Scaler, Midi Madness, MelodySauce, Autotonic, Stochas, Phrasendrescher, Midi Stream, Kameleono, Noatikl, Cthulhu, Orb Composer, Rapid Composer. Will Architect do some of what these plugins can do?

Looking forward to a list of Architect's features, capabilities, presets and patches, etc so I can then determine to purchase it before the 25% intro price ends.

Main Architect thread:
viewtopic.php?f=141&t=517474

Kalamata Kid wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 1:16 am
I read some of the technical posts in the Loomer forum but still not any closer to understanding what Architect can do. So though at first I was convinced I would be a buyer now I am not sure.

It has to do with features, presets, effects, utilities and whatever is midi related. I am a preset guy that tweaks the presets and clicks on randomize. I do like to work with midi so Architect got my attention.

Looking forward to a list of Architect's features, capabilities, presets and patches, etc so I can then determine to purchase it before the 25% intro price ends.
Me, too, exactly!

Between what I've already got (Rapid Composer for exquisite control and deep features, EZ-Keys for leveraging existing MIDI files, Kontakt and Falcon for deep scripting, Logic for great built-in MIDI FX, and Reaktor for totally unique ones—and the constant new developments with ALL these), it's hard to imagine what Architect could possibly offer me that I don't already have.

But I'll definitely still jump all over the final shipping version's feature list and demos whenever all that gets settled:)

David wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 am
Then there's, believe it or not, EzKeys:

[quoting myself from here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517114&p=7268696#p7268696]

"FWIW, I'm a collector of MIDI FX and am also waiting with very little patience to explore Architect, but I just recently got another one that's quite blowing my mind, since it does something that seems unique to me, never having seen any other tool that exactly does what it does, and does very easily.

It's that old horse EzKeys, which I just picked up here for $50 (posted a WTB and quickly got several replies willing to sell for that price).

I'd recently seen on YouTube some excellent tutorials about it, along with and compared to Scaler, Instachord, Captain, etc. (here—though my own musical interests are very far from those of the video maker; he IS a good explainer!), and as a result saw that EzKeys isn't just the way over-priced, Band-In-A-Box sort of tool (retail $179!!) it appears to be, for making jingles and commercial-track mimics, etc. while spending another fortune on their "in-app" options for new instrument sounds and MIDI style packs.

Nah, the killer feature here is it lets you run almost any sort of one-track (solo-instrument) MIDI file, NOT just the factory ones (tho it does come by default with a good bit of quite interesting stuff, from very basic to very stylized, the same in every engine version) through any sort of chord progression with lots of very fast ways to generate, tweak, and randomize the progressions, as well as analyze melodies you throw at it to create new ones.

I've been collecting MIDI files, too, for many years going back to the early 90s, and have a ton of everything from short phrase/style/chord/progression clips to complete solo-instrument pieces from medieval to modern times—many found free online—along with the many oddball clips and tracks I've compulsively saved out myself from years of DAW/arp/MIDI-FX tinkering, despite having rarely found any serious use for them.

But NOW, in EzKeys, I can load or invent any kind and length of progression, and with a click, audition it as played through by virtually any of my MIDI collection, as well as easily drag out, DAW-mangle and drag back in whatever stuff I hit on. All while using my own sound makers, not the built-in instruments at all, tho some are quite nice.

Bottom line, I'm finally using my MIDI-file and MIDI-gen collections in the way I'd always vaguely hoped they'd be good for, merging and morphing them around so easily with other sorts of harmonies, both randomized AND well-established, and getting a very high percentage of useable and delightfully surprising results, compared to any of the general, typical, or even a-typical, randomize-it or arp-it techniques I'd often previously dabbled with using my MIDI-FX arsenal, and usually quickly tired of, up til now.

It's definitely re-defined the game, for me anyway."

Both of these older tools are unique and fresh for me (and even more so together) because they're not so much manglers or super arps like most of my already loved tools mentioned up-tread in my first post here, but because they're all about building traditional musical structures in very easy and also very deep ways, quite as well as facilitating endlessly surprising algorithmic mash-ups and concatenations.

I reluctantly must agree with the comment above about so many of these desktop tools having terrible GUIs, or simply being not fun to work with, either being too complicated or too simplified to make any sense of (Nora and Kameleono come to mind for me…both fascinating and assuredly powerful, but covered with fangs). There's no doubt that RC's powers, too, are hidden behind a space-shuttle-like interface, but EzKeys is quite brilliantly "E-Z", once you get that it's so much more than it appears to be, and is marketed as.

HNY!
This is very intriguing. I’d love to see a video of your workflow with some examples of usable stuff you’re able to generate.

DrMEM wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 8:47 am
David wrote: Mon Dec 31, 2018 4:33 am
Then there's, believe it or not, EzKeys:

[quoting myself from here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=517114&p=7268696#p7268696]

This is very intriguing. I’d love to see a video of your workflow with some examples of usable stuff you’re able to generate.
Sorry to be so slow to respond to your request; will try to get to something on this in the next few days…tho be warned that our definitions of "usable" will very likely differ:)

Return to “Effects”