What is the Loudest Limiter on the market?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Haha, I am wondering why nobody mentions this one:

TLS maximizer

Still it is one of the best - if not the best - maximizer.
It preserves the transients. For me it's just too
much, because it makes everything way tooooo loud. :o
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

chk071 wrote: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:09 pm AFAIC, dynamics is one of the least understood thing in audio.
(Not that i understand much about it. ;))
Well its mostly understood in audio, but too little in music.

If you want the loudest, simply get a louder PA. Then any limiter will do if the aim is to eliminate any dynamics... If you do have dynamics a slight limiter will not destroy it, but nobody would call it the Loudest as it would only make the loudest part softer...
Or in other words, any compressor/limiter does make the music softer if you didn't crank it up before... (everybody who uses a limiter for getting it louder does that of course...)
The correct answer would be: no limiter is the loudest and it comes for free...

Yes. Loudness is a averaged perception essentially created by the softer bits turned into louder. It's LESS dynamic range when you limit. By definition.

So you may have a bit of audio which as you look at it in a waveform type of graphical editor is small. If you're using a maximizing effect on a limiter, you may be quite ruining the effect of the audio. A capable DAW will allow you in the audio editor to select the audio, a region of it or all of it and apply gain to it. Here the dynamics are preserved (up to the obvious point). The super maximizing limiters talked about here use algorithms to preserve certain of the tonal quality of your audio, but what they are doing at basis is determining a wide range, let's say input level is at -30dB with a similarly high output level, squooshing it dynamically into more of a block really and making up gain there at output.

Also, too: 'transparent' is not a subjective sort of a term. It means not adding color (distortion). Clippers are not transparent, they soften the clipping, ie., provide a distorting effect.

jancivil wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:19 pm Also, too: 'transparent' is not a subjective sort of a term. It means not adding color (distortion). Clippers are not transparent, they soften the clipping, ie., provide a distorting effect.
No.. Clippers ARE transparent (hard clippers anyway..). That's why we ME's use them so much. At sensible levels you cannot detect the clipped samples - hence transparent. Of course, there is distortion occurring - it's just too fast for the brain to detect. If you overdo it you will hear the distortion. If you want a distortion effect you can push them further. Sometimes this might be desirable (clipping a nice hardware converter for example).
Mastering from £30 per track \\\
Facebook \\\ #masteredbyloz

do_androids_dream wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:25 pm If you want a distortion effect you can push them further. Sometimes this might be desirable (clipping a nice hardware converter for example).
Tell me more about software converters...

I sometimes clip my finger nails...
That can be quite loud!

martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm I sometimes clip my finger nails...
That can be quite loud!
sometimes?
:-?

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:47 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:33 pm I sometimes clip my finger nails...
That can be quite loud!
sometimes?
if you do it "all the time" you soon run out of nails and its fast becomes "self harm" rather than "good grooming".

Ploki wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:47 pm
That can be quite loud!
sometimes?
Haven‘d expected that this is of any interest for someone...
Shall I send you my weekly results?
:tu:
PS: what other desires do you have?
You can tell us EVERYTHING!

As i said, i never clip

They do not clip either... :o :scared:

i notice she does her toes though :?

vurt wrote: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:04 pm i notice she does her toes though :?
Surely not by herself...

Return to “Effects”