Two new Plugin Alliance products announced: SPL Iron & SPL HawkEye

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
DJErmac
KVRian
744 posts since 25 Apr, 2009 from France

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:42 pm

True, this was not meant to be taken 100% seriously. Btw I own Kotelnikov GE and think it's by far superior to Kotelnikov free, the Yin/Yang are magic.

plexuss
KVRAF
2685 posts since 8 Jul, 2009

Re: Two new Plugin Alliance products announced: SPL Iron & SPL HawkEye

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm

I tried IRON out on a different track. I posted a before/after below in my post with the other comparison. viewtopic.php?p=7282014#p7282014 The track is The Lake Johnny G, a mix I did for a friend. IRON has more of an impact with this track than Poltergeist, to my ears. :phones:

V0RT3X
KVRAF
7540 posts since 4 Jul, 2012 from Canada

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm

plexuss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm
I tried IRON out on a different track. I posted a before/after below in my post with the other comparison. viewtopic.php?p=7282014#p7282014 The track is The Lake Johnny G, a mix I did for a friend. IRON has more of an impact with this track than Poltergeist, to my ears. :phones:
I can usually hear subtle changes, but really if theres something in that new track that should make me go WOW that's such a huge difference, I can't honestly hear it.
Sound Experiments -> |https://soundcloud.com/user-841453413|
Join the Anti-EDM movement :borg:

v1o
KVRian
1441 posts since 2 Oct, 2004

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:11 pm

Acknowledgement wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:42 pm
Tried it on a few mixes, but preferred The Glue in blind test every time. Still my favourite compressor by far alongside Kotelnikov.
This Kotelnikov keeps on coming up. I’ve found that I can get DC8C 2 to sound very close to Kotelnikov. Also the mastering compressor that comes with Limiter No6 GE is very under rated.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

plexuss
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:12 pm

V0RT3X wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:03 pm
plexuss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:52 pm
I can usually hear subtle changes, but really if theres something in that new track that should make me go WOW that's such a huge difference, I can't honestly hear it.
I don't any difference with Polgeist. But with Johnny G I find the vocals have more body and forwardness and the mix is little more gelled together and thicker, however for me the differences are still with in the realm of subtle.

I also played with it on an EDM kick - it was interesting to drive it hard and hear the different rectifier modes which each give a different texture on the tail of the kick. it has some versatilty but perhaps a lot of over-lap with other plugins. YYMV :phones:

I've just started driving it hard with drums and bass. I think this is where this plugin may get more use. I haven't heard crunch like that before. It's close to Kush perhaps but more crunchy. The rectifiers and envelope controls do a lot more here. Try really driving it hard.

sqigls
KVRAF
3589 posts since 25 Dec, 2004 from Melbourne, Australia

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm

plexuss wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:00 pm

However it does annoy me that with many PA plugins you can't click to enter values. In correspondence with Dirk directly, his rationale is "you can't do that with the hardware so why should you be able to do it with the software" (paraphrasing). You can't please everybody... :phones:
well, none of the hardware has a mid/side option either, so why not text enter and non-stepped controls!?
His argument makes 0 sense.

plexuss
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:39 pm

sqigls wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 7:37 pm
plexuss wrote:

However it does annoy me that with many PA plugins you can't click to enter values. In correspondence with Dirk directly, his rationale is "you can't do that with the hardware so why should you be able to do it with the software" (paraphrasing). You can't please everybody... :phones:
well, none of the hardware has a mid/side option either, so why not text enter and non-stepped controls!? His argument makes 0 sense.
Good point. We are at the whims of the devs. :phones:

Tappistry
KVRian
1215 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:18 pm

sqigls wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:43 am
I don't see what the $329 hoo-haa is about SPL Iron.
I was almost convinced that an amazing mastering compressor would be mine for sure, considering i can get it for $74... but I demoed for a little while and really can't get into it. It might be extremely versatile, but for a mastering engineer maybe. For me, it's a waste of time. Presswerk wipes with it.
Definitely agree. I tried it out this evening as well.

I already have Blue Cat Dynamics, Presswerk, and TDR Limiter 6 GE & Kotelnikov GE. This plugin doesn't seem to do anything special that those 4 can't cover already.

Tappistry
KVRian
1215 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 8:20 pm

plexuss wrote:
DJErmac wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:47 pm
sqigls wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:35 pm
one thing that irritated me immediately, the stepped makeup gain.
In software i just find that extremely silly.
Exactly what makes me say it's hard to tweak to taste : everything is stepped in this one. Stepped attack and stepped release are something I really dislike in a compressor, even if sometimes it works ok. But everytime I just ask myself what would happen if I could enter a value between the two steps... And now, they add stepped makeup gain !
And this is the precise reason why the only plugins I've bought from PA are Unfiltered Audio. They understand effective UI designs for COMPUTERS.

plexuss
KVRAF

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 9:10 pm

Someone described IRON this way "..it's a mid-level detail lifter" - I would have to agree. But it seems to be programme dependent in this regard. :phones:

Local Man
KVRist
386 posts since 31 May, 2017

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:50 pm

dblock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:17 pm
It's getting rave reviews on Gearslutz.
:lol: what doesn't?

SiliconDeath
KVRist
139 posts since 21 Feb, 2017

Post Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 pm

Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the PA Iron with AA Coral yet?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should start looking at AA products if I want more color.

escalona
KVRist
288 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:16 pm

SiliconDeath wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:28 pm
Out of curiosity, has anyone compared the PA Iron with AA Coral yet?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should start looking at AA products if I want more color.
Looking at AA plugins is looking at a new $4k computer... :hihi:

Acknowledgement
KVRist
55 posts since 31 Oct, 2017

Post Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:48 pm

cfanyc wrote:
Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:52 am
dblock wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:17 pm
It's getting rave reviews on Gearslutz.
every new plugin gets at GS the "it's the best thing ever"
and "now I use it on all my mixes" treatment by a large number
of folks who apparently (a) have way too much money to spend
on new toys (b) are extremely bored with their lives (c) never
bother to test thoroughly and objectively the said new toys
(but can express absolute opinions with conviction), and
(d) can never seem to find 3-4 mastering compressors or eqs or
reverbs to stick with and focus on actually getting some work (or simply
music) done.

For compressors last month's craze was acustica's El Rey. This month is the spl iron.

The hilarious pattern includes after no more than a couple of months, that
every "best thing ever" that is "used in every mix" is revealed to:
destroy/smear/soften transients, add a few db here and there
(typically in the low end for compressors), have wrong timing, metering
or control markings, craps out when overdriven, have numerous bugs, etc. etc.

This endless cycle is kind of fun but also sad.
Lol so true...and it always seems to be the same small group of folks. Every new release is the best thing ever and all of a sudden the last month's best thing ever isn't that good anymore.

SiliconDeath
KVRist
139 posts since 21 Feb, 2017

Post Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:47 am

What are some good alternatives to this? Something with more color?

Return to “Effects”