Waves - WUP vs sale prices

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

noiseboyuk wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 8:19 pm Actually there is now a third reason to get WUP - so all plugins are on the same version and Waves Central won't therefore break your computer. I realise you should be able to update v9 plugs separately using the off-line installer, but many people miss that little checkbox and as many threads have stated, the whole system is terribly flaky.
I wish Waves would realize that their policy is costing them sales - at least it certainly is in my case. I have maybe three dozen Waves plugins, all version 9 and no WUP. I realize that some people have successfully installed a mix of versions 9 and 10, but I'm not willing to risk the headaches. So, no more Waves titles will be bought here. If I had a way to reliably, easily and at no cost move all my Waves titles to version 10, I would probably become a customer once again.

The solution to me is that WUP price should be less than any current sale price.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

Patapoo wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:43 pm "Let's imagine a world where Waves Central just worked. Reliably."

I don't doubt folks have issues with Waves Central but I have a 10-year-old computer running window 7 and never have had a single hiccup.
+1
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

morelia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am The solution to me is that WUP price should be less than any current sale price.
Yes. Part of the problem is the deceitfulness in it.

The plugin is list priced at $300. But we will sell it to you for ~$23.

But when you renew the support subscription we'll just pretend we sold it to you for $300, and charge you accordingly.

Also if you ever want to sell it, we'll also pretend you paid $300. So the transfer fee will be $15 (5%) plus WUP, say another 15-20 (or whatever it is, I couldn't find any documentation and my account doesn't show the cost of WUP for my plugins).

So in order to transfer a plugin they sold you new for $23, you have to pay them more than that before you can sell it. Who's going to buy your plugin marked up, since anyone can just wait a month or two for a sale and buy it cheaper directly than get it from you.

Nice little racket. They don't forbid sales, they think they are so clever and just make it very expensive, you know, because you bought the plugins "on sale". Except they are always on sale. Why not just come clean and come up with an honest system that works.

Do I sound bitter? I don't mean to, but I don't like BS schemes. I'll buy the plugins, just give me a fair deal and don't play games. I don't think that's asking much.

to me Waves did find something that works well and that is why they are sticking with it. It works pretty much like you said. ^
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Well since the bundle comes with WUP then what's the difference in just buying the bundle again anyway?

And I own a couple Waves plugins and they're actually some of my most reliable plugins, but I'm not exactly sure how updates or even the demoing works.

Does Waves Central update in the background when updates happen?

And do the demos automatically uninstall themselves?

jochicago wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am
morelia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:21 am The solution to me is that WUP price should be less than any current sale price.

The plugin is list priced at $300. But we will sell it to you for ~$23.

But when you renew the support subscription we'll just pretend we sold it to you for $300, and charge you accordingly.

Also if you ever want to sell it, we'll also pretend you paid $300. So the transfer fee will be $15 (5%) plus WUP, say another 15-20 (or whatever it is, I couldn't find any documentation and my account doesn't show the cost of WUP for my plugins).

So in order to transfer a plugin they sold you new for $23, you have to pay them more than that before you can sell it. Who's going to buy your plugin marked up, since anyone can just wait a month or two for a sale and buy it cheaper directly than get it from you.

Nice little racket. They don't forbid sales, they think they are so clever and just make it very expensive, you know, because you bought the plugins "on sale". Except they are always on sale. Why not just come clean and come up with an honest system that works.

Do I sound bitter? I don't mean to, but I don't like BS schemes. I'll buy the plugins, just give me a fair deal and don't play games. I don't think that's asking much.
You said exactly what I was thinking!

jochicago wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:14 am
Not sure what it is (but I'm calling it couldntgiveafukaboutexistingcustomersness).

But just imagine a world where you want to buy WUP for your Gold Bundle. You see Gold on sale for $99 so you know your WUP is $99 (i.e. worst case scenario Waves consider you a new customer despite the fact you bought Gold for $8000 and decide to rip into you like some newbie) or even better you know your WUP is less than that (i.e. Waves realize you are getting maybe a new plugin, access to a really painful authorization/installation system, and all the other amazing stuff that comes with WUP and decide a less price is fair given that you already have 99.9999999999999% of the product).

We could call it Waves Utopia Plan. Anyway, who really cares. I don't really expect them to change and I just got an early Valentines present, so cop that Waves.

My Waves account shows $33.50 to "WUP" my Gold bundle, $25.10 for the H-Series bundle and $10.50 for "loose" plugins bought outside of bundles. I think that's reasonable, though you can probably get on some even cheaper upgrade plan if you shop around.

My main criticism would be that WUP is just generally confusing, as in what does it actually do and why would I need it? I guess when v11 comes out, you'll need it to get on the latest version, but I haven't seen any updates for my v10 plugins. It's not like they're suddenly going to add a ton of new features to RComp or whatever, it has been the same for years.

With something like Studio One, Ozone etc., it's more straight forward. If you jump a minor (.x) version, it's free, if you want to get next x.0 version, you pay. No "upgrade plan" needed.

I also won't buy any new (V10) plugins from Waves until all my Waves plugins are updated to V10; and I most certainly not going to pay $225 for the plugins I have.

AdvancedFollower wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 9:26 am My Waves account shows $33.50 to "WUP" my Gold bundle, $25.10 for the H-Series bundle and $10.50 for "loose" plugins bought outside of bundles. I think that's reasonable, though you can probably get on some even cheaper upgrade plan if you shop around.
That's very reasonable. What I don't get is that my Gold was 225 and I have been looking for a cheap way to buy WUP since Vitamin was added. I really can't fathom how you are getting that price to WUP Gold.

P.S. Yes I ticked the box.

Ren Bass is $15
CLA Signature is $75
Reel ADT Native is $37.50
Gold is $41.90 (and I bought it less than 1 month ago). How can my Gold WUP be more than yours and I bought it 12 days ago? :o

morelia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am Ren Bass is $15
CLA Signature is $75
Gold is $41.90 (and I bought it less than 1 month ago). How can my Gold WUP be more than yours and I bought it 12 days ago? :o
Why would you need WUP on something you just bought? It should be already at V10.

Reefius wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am
morelia wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:26 am Ren Bass is $15
CLA Signature is $75
Why would you need WUP on something you just bought? It should be already at V10.
I think he was just checking his current prices. But some people just like to have it for the support and any new plugs added.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Reefius wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:53 am Why would you need WUP on something you just bought? It should be already at V10.
I don't. Just demonstrating the mystery of WUP.

I had graphics issues with the latest version of v9.
I did not need to pay wup.To upgrade F6 eq to V10.
So did wup for gold,SSl E channel and Aphex for $104 From Audio deluxe.
I installed gold.Then F6 diapeared.So I had to install it again!!

Return to “Effects”