Audiority LDC2 updated to v1.3 - Light Driven Compander - AAX,AU,CLAP,VST2,VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
LDC2 Compander

We are happy to announce to you our newest effect plugin: LDC2 - Light Driven Compander

LDC2 is an analog modelled compressor and expander featuring exchangeable optical circuits and solid state preamplifier.

LDC2 provides smooth and warm dynamics processing for tracking, mixing, mastering and live performances.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... X3jyk4OZgf

Price: $45/€45

More info: https://www.audiority.com/shop/ldc2-compander/

Cheers,
Luca

PS:
We implemented an online activation that works in parallel with the usual offline license file loading. If you are registered to our User Area, you only need to use your username (or email address) and password from the plugin to register it. Please, check LDC2 User Manual for more details.
Last edited by Audiority on Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:40 am, edited 4 times in total.

Cool, I haven't looked at it yet, but if it has the ability to have 2 compressors in series, that would be cool. Say, swap the expander for another compressor.
Is materialism devouring your musical output? :ud:

The video sounds good, but one question remains: are the sounds gain compensated?

Here's a screenshot of the project used in the demo video
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcka3n2ommx92 ... t.png?dl=0

As you can see, there's no further processing after LDC2. What you are hearing in the video, is how the plugin sounds. The compressor has an integrated auto make-up gain circuit that compensates the gain reduction applied to the signal.

Cheers,
Luca

Is a compander the opposite of a compressor?

Anyway Congrats on the release. :)
Last edited by Halonmusic on Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Double
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

Halonmusic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm Is a compander the opposite of a compressor?

compressor + expander = compander - it will both compress and expand :phones:

plexuss wrote: Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:41 am
Halonmusic wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 9:30 pm Is a compander the opposite of a compressor?

compressor + expander = compander - it will both compress and expand :phones:
Ah I see, thank you. :)

I think there’s some legitimate confusion here. “Compander” has mostly referred to things like the Dolby Type A, etc., where the compression and expansion are used with one process reverting the effects of the other. There’s probably also the implication that something’s going on between the two processes.

Words like “modem” and “codec” make this clearer: “modulator-demodulator” and “coder-decoder”. These processes enable digital signal to travel in an analog world (phone lines) and analog signals to enter the digital world (PCM).

It may be that the two processes are serial in Audiority’s plug, hence the analogy, but the name strikes me as an imaginative borrowing, which is fine. EDIT: I think separate attacks and releases for the compressor and expander is a sure sign that they are two more-or-less discrete units in sequence.

Hopefully folks won’t think it’s something like Audiothing’s Type A, or Overloud’s Dopamine.

Loving the expander for sure!
Last edited by cturner on Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tranzistow Tutorials: http://vze26m98.net/tranzistow/
Xenakis in America: http://oneblockavenue.net

bought. it's very clean but can go gritty on you. figuring out the relationship between the compressor and expander is a bit tricky, but it's going to get used. it makes things loud.

ahe, I got questions, are you willing to answer?

Jessas, this month is crowded with offers and new goodies,
I`m cash-strapped within the first week, this is not normal?

Softube updated/upgraded Valley People Dyna-mite free of charge,
my focal point for now due to similar jobs.

LDC2 is pretty unique yet,
I like the most the well thought layout for the main tasks
and their interaction(s), it`s a as well as approach.
In terms of drums for example, room and tightness in one go.

Along with input trim and wet/dry
I could define details and nuances to heart`s content.

On already distorted drums I had the idea to overdose it,
comp: nsl-32r3, exp: vtl5c10
and landed on 30% comp (SC 150hz), 44% expand, hefty +8,8 input (gainstaged ouput), 50% mix.
and I had an additional nice, tuby ambience. Nothing shrill or harsh.

I don`t have a problem to imagine this kind of tone shaping on any other instrument,
from subtle to grrr.

Sorry guys, I was in the mood of writing something to compensate listening time ... :phones:

I`m curious: was there a concept of synergy with Pre X7 into play?
Intel i7-4790K | Gigabyte Z97X-UD3H | 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport | RME Babyface Pro | UAD PCIe Octo, Quad | Asus GT 730 | Toshiba DT01ACA200 2TB | LG GH24NSB0 | W10 Pro 64bit | S1 latest

Hi guys,

I'm glad you are loving LDC2!
I see that the word "compander" is a bit confusing applied to this plugin. Strictly speaking, a compander is a circuit made of a compressor, followed by a noisy circuit then followed by an expander. This will reduce the noise from the noisy circuit and has been widely used for BBD based effects.

Here we have a chain of a compressor followed by an expander, hence the use of that term. You can use the expander to reduce the noise floor and I found it very effective on vocals and bleeding drum tracks.

About the synergy with Pre X7: yes, there is!
When I first started planning this plugin, I were unsure about what kind of optical unit I were about to simulate. Honestly, there are a LOT of LA2A and similar, but almost no other kind of optical circuits. So, I decided to make something "custom" and not a strict simulation of a specific unit. The optical circuits you see there, are the various Vactrols that has been used in some pedals and other effects. Other than the T4B, you get some Perkin-Elmer (PE), some Clairex (CX) and some old Silonex (SX) optocouplers, each one featuring different rise and fall timings. VTL5C2 and NSL-32 works great on guitars, since they were widely used in sustainer pedals.

And here's the synergy with our previous plugins, with a chain I'm actually using for playing my Telecaster: LDC2 (with VTL5C2) -> Big Goat -> Pre X7 (saturating) -> Cab simulator. I get a very nice guitar tone, well sustained and full.

You can obviously chain LDC2 with Pre X7 for different applications.. they just work nice together, since both of them add some character to the incoming signal.

If you have any other questions, just go ahead!

Cheers,
Luca

so, i do have a couple of questions. the thresh hold and knee are fixed, but different algos have different thresholds and knee? is that the way it works?

also, i'm getting the picture that i use it in almost a band bass filter kind of way, in which the compressor is used on the high end, and the e pander is used on the low end correct?

i do like it a lot, its a great match for the mjuc compressors. im playing around using the mjuc for source compression and ldc2 on busses.

Hi Dashees,

threshold is set with either the Compress or Expand knobs, knee is fixed for both. When you change the optical circuit, you change a bit of the static compression/expansion curve, the attack and release time coefficients.

About the "bandpass" thing: not quite.. when you use the SC Filter, you are filtering the control signal and not the processed audio signal.

Cheers,
Luca

Return to “Effects”