Polyverse Music - Comet Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Comet

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:32 am
Sound Author wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 4:25 am Okay, so yay, MIDI implementation works great in Bitwig.

As for the rest of us, what do we do to make it work for us?
In Live, it works the same way as effects like Stutter Edit. You need to set up a second MIDI track.

In that track, don't add anything to it, just click in the "MIDI To" dropdown just above where the Sends would be if it were an audio-enabled track. Select the Live channel that contains Comet and then select 1-Comet in the box that appears below that (it will say "Track In" when it appears). Arm that track and play keys.
Thanks! That does work, although Comet definitely needs to be on a send channel; it doesn't work if it's on the same channel with an instrument. But the Size slides back to its original position when you release a note. I find this undesirable, and the inability to set Glide to zero causes the pitch shift to sound weird no matter what you do, which is fine for creepy effects, but hardly ever useful in a musical context. Another thing that bugs me is the inability to accurately keytrack very small sizes for Karplus-Strong synthesis because of "non-linearities". So, that limits us to just using MIDI for bizarro "time warp" effects. I think it would be REALLY cool if we could morph between a Karplus-Strong preset to a HUGE reverb. I would love that with the white-hot passion of a thousand fiery suns.

plexuss wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 5:26 pm
Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 9:41 am I´m trying to open a Logic project made yesterday which involves Comet and it always crashes, here is the important part of the crashlog - this is on Sierra, Mac Pro (ashtray model):
Story of my life. I hate what Apple has done to Logic. Anyway, this is likely one of those weird core audio problems. One way I have of working around this b-llsh-t is to open a new project and put the plugin Logic said crashed it in and then close the project and try opening the project that crashes.

Check this latest Logic bs out that I experienced: all of a sudden a project would start my tracks at different times when I rendered offline in 44.1k. But if I render in realtime it works. it also works at 96k in offline. But going back to 44.1k, offline render, the tracks are out of place. no audio tracks - all midi with v instruments.

Ok I'll stop before I start an anti-apple rant.... :dog: :phones:
I actually love what Apple has done to Logic and I hardly ever have crashing projects, but as Comet is still in Beta mode I'm sure, certain DAW/Logic-immanent bugs can still be fixed.
Last edited by Sampleconstruct on Sat May 04, 2019 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sound Author wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 6:26 pm Thanks! That does work, although Comet definitely needs to be on a send channel; it doesn't work if it's on the same channel with an instrument.
I’ve had it working on an instrument channel - you just need to make sure Comet is the destination. It also works on regular audio channels.

I remember someone mentioning that you could toggle off the MIDI keytracking so you can just use MIDI controllers for the reverb parameters without changing the size with notes. Is that true? Because I can't seem to route MIDI without doing it this way and the keytracking is not desirable in this situation.

There should be an option to reduce distortion/drive when using very long decay times, especially on acoustic sources this doesn't sound too good imho.

Processing a little soprano sax improv with Comet, morphing between various custom presets on the fly. The distortion on the preset with the very long decay is too much for my taste, I'd like to be able to reduce that, but maybe the dev wanted it that way to prevent self resonances or whatever else...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5CY1x4lwHWw

The simple trick to decrease distortion with long tails is to reduce the input gain by a fair amount and compensate for the volume loss in the output, that doesn't eliminate the saturation but the signal is much much cleaner.

After importing a preset bank into Comet the next time I open the plugin the bank is gone, so please give us an option...

Hi,

I've been fiddling quite a lot with Comet lately (especially for the Polyverse Community Mixtape!)

So I would like to share some ideas (besides the Bypass button on the GUI, already mentioned):

1 - It could be nice and creative have a random function which creates a new preset and also a button which can load randomly and existing preset
2 - Would it be possible to automate the "Panic" button function ? (doesn't seem to be possible presently)
3 - The possibility to search from the browser for presets by tags. Ex. Deep, Cold, Long, Infinity, Reverse...
4 - Some modulators (i.e. LFO) to modulate the parameters (Yes, I know it is possible to do this with Gate Keeper :oops: )
5 - Some internal ducking possibility would be very nice
6 - A freeze function/button

Needless to say that the most important is the sound and I have to say WOW ! I have a lot of reverbs and this one quite stands out of the list :clap:

Cheers,
GilJ.

Simon's Patchpool release email got me interested...but unfortunately demo crashes just about everything I try and load it in (AU or VST) on OSX 10.9.5 :(

I filed bug reports for a few of them before eventually abandoning any Comet+ Patchpool purchases for now...we'll see what happens with reports.

But at least it reminded me about how awesome (and stable :)) Adaptiverb is!
Chris R Gibson ( a.k.a. Loopy C )
https://soundcloud.com/loopy-c

Loopy C wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 6:39 pm Simon's Patchpool release email got me interested...but unfortunately demo crashes just about everything I try and load it in (AU or VST) on OSX 10.9.5 :(

I filed bug reports for a few of them before eventually abandoning any Comet+ Patchpool purchases for now...we'll see what happens with reports.

But at least it reminded me about how awesome (and stable :)) Adaptiverb is!
Hi Chris, most probably your issues are related to the OS version, I've had one crash in Logic, haven't used the vst-version yet, so for me it's very stable for a Beta version, using it on Mac Pro with Sierra and Macbook Pro with Mojave.
____
EDIT:
Some fresh presets for Comet can be found here.

Sampleconstruct wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 7:16 pm Hi Chris, most probably your issues are related to the OS version...
Hey Simon, more specifically...likely crash is related to trial/demo licensing system?

It crashes, either when I click '15 minute demo' when loaded as AU, or, in the case of loading the VST (the only way/time I use vst's) into Blue Cat Patchwork to check if it is AU-only issue...it then loads and gets past '15 minuite Demo?' but then crashes the moment it is fed audio (i.e. transport is engaged).

So not necessarily a stability issue, pretty much just can't be run....though I tried loading it into Rogue Amoeba's Hijack Pro' and was able to run audio through it for one 'session'...but when 15 minutes timed out, and I tried restarting Hijack to restart trial...that session would continuously then crash upon loading until I deleted it entirely from Hijack.

At that point, any creative interest was pretty much dissipated ;-)

The two typical developer responses I usually get in this situation are, 'We don't have a 10.9.5 system to test it on so can't/won't be able to do anything about it...or, "Yeah, we see what's causing it...here is fix!' . We'll wait and see which case this is.

Hopefully it will be the one leading to some new Patchpool patches to play with :)

Quick update. Just received replies to the reports I filed over weekend...in both cases developer stating...

"This issue will be fixed in a few days when we roll out our new update for comet."

...so that is encouraging :)

Feature Request!!!

- LP & HP filters for the Wet Signal (like ArtsAcoustic and EOS2).
- Stereo Width control for the Wet Signal.
- A 'ducking' control for the Wet Signal (like D16 Toraverb).

dav0001 wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:48 am Feature Request!!!

- LP & HP filters for the Wet Signal (like ArtsAcoustic and EOS2).
- Stereo Width control for the Wet Signal.
+1 on tone filtering and stereo control! :D

Return to “Effects”