iZotope bought Exponential Audio

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic

Spencer Maddox wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:44 pm I have not caught up with this thread but at least he didin't do a Camel...Right?

Everyone will still be able to use his stuff I mean, just for a different company...
If anything he will have more resources to work with and make his products better.
Honestly I think there are some benefits to this deal. I think they will remove the requirement for a physical ilok USB dongle to be more in line with Izotope plugins. EA were so hesitant to change to machine authorisation that they only recently allowed it for older products. Izotope also have a decent upgrade policy and better upgrade prices.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:10 pm It'll be interesting to see how much of the reverb effects that everyone here seems to like from EA, are implemented across the various Izotope apps. I actually think Iris 2 has some great effects, which I believe come from their various products, so I suspect the reverbs will be included in their next synths. Admittedly I haven't used Iris as much as I meant to as it often does more than I really need and I use the sampler in Renoise more lately for the sample commands.
In my opinion the likely first candidates to benefit are Neutron and Nectar. But they'll likely be stripped down versions with limited controls compared to the real deal. I don't think we should expect an update to Iris anytime soon, it's not on a yearly update cycle like the rest of the product line.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

They already had a great reverb in Ozone 5. I wonder what happened to that.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

aMUSEd wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:40 pm
mcbpete wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:54 pm If you have Nimbus, no you don't need PhoenixVerb:
Does NIMBUS sound like PhoenixVerb, just with more parameters?
Yes. It sounds exactly like PhoenixVerb, but only if you haven't used any of the new parameters. All of the PhoenixVerb presets have been imported into NIMBUS.
Which is why it needed a decent upgrade path from Phoenixverb, and still does (I would have liked to get Nimbus but refuse to pay the cost of Phoenixverb + more money again - especially since they also vastly deprecated the resale value of Phoenixverb).

If I could buy the bundle at a reasonable price I still would just to get it.
i had the same reaction with R2 ---> R4
imo no upgrade path is just not right, I haven't bought a Exponential product since then.
Companies like Liquidsonics have generous offers for previous customers and structure their prices accordingly.

:tu:
2012 Mac Pro,3.46 Ghz,12 core 96g ,Mojave,RME, DP11.01, Logic 10.51,RME UCX, Great River ME-1NV, a few microphones,Spectrasonics, U-he Komplete12U & way too many VI's,Synths & FX galore!, UAD,Mimic Pro/SD3,Focal Twin 6 monitors, Shunyata ....

martinjuenke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 pm Do I need the Exponential Stereo Bundle when I have the total bundle of 2CAudio?
I think: no (or am I wrong?)
I have 2C Audio Perfect Storm, Exponential R4, and have demo'd Nimbus. There's some overlap but they complement each other well. R4 is great for classic Lexicon modulated 'verb with minimal CPU, and can do clearer 'verbs well. Its strength is the possibility of 3 modulatable bandpass filters for pre, Early Reflections, and Late Reflections; plus built-in tail ducking, compression, distortion, tempo sync, and bit reduction. I wouldn't say that the EA has the same "infinite gossamer silky sheen" I associate with 2C, but honestly that ethereal top end is one of the first things to go if you use the Abbey Road high/lowpass filtering on returns to make space in a mix.

Nimbus can do everything Phoenix can plus more, and lacks any user modulation so is more suited to realistic space/room duties. I couldn't justify buying Nimbus at a time where Acon Verberate and ReLab VSR24 cover the same territory, plus quite a bit more. In all, the EA verbs are an update of the classic Lexicon stuff with a more modern control set (meaning directly adjustable ER profiles and Random/Chorus modulation vs. Lexicon PCM Shape/Spread and Spin/Wander). And EA has great presets for typical "commercial mix" needs.

2C takes a more clean slate approach rather than emulating past gear, and has its minuses - CPU usage on Aether/B2, audible noise when modulating controls, IMO cartoonish interfaces, majority of presets are more focused on AMBIENT HUGENESS than bread & butter mix-blend reverb.
Last edited by Winstontaneous on Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm
martinjuenke wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:01 pm Do I need the Exponential Stereo Bundle when I have the total bundle of 2CAudio?
I have 2C Audio Perfect Storm, Exponential R4, and have demo'd Nimbus. There's some overlap but they complement each other well. R4 is great for classic Lexicon modulated 'verb with minimal CPU, and can do clearer 'verbs well. Its strength is the possibility of 3 modulatable bandpass filters for pre, Early Reflections, and Late Reflections; plus built-in tail ducking, compression, distortion, and bit reduction. I wouldn't say that the EA has the same "infinite gossamer silky sheen" I associate with 2C, but honestly that ethereal top end is one of the first things to go if you use the Abbey Road high/lowpass filtering on returns to make space in a mix.

Nimbus can do everything Phoenix can plus more, and lacks any user modulation so is more suited to realistic space/room duties. I couldn't justify buying at a time where Acon Verberate and ReLab VSR24 cover the same territory plus quite a bit more. In all the EA verbs are an update of the classic Lexicon stuff with a more modern control set (meaning directly adjustable ER profiles and Random/Chorus modulation vs. Lexicon PCM Shape/Spread and Spin/Wander). And EA has great presets for typical "commercial mix" needs.

2C takes a more clean slate approach rather than emulating past gear, and has its minuses - CPU usage on Aether/B2, audible noise when modulating controls, IMO cartoonish interfaces, majority of presets are more focused on AMBIENT HUGENESS than bread & butter mix-blend reverb.
Thanks!

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm 2C takes a more clean slate approach rather than emulating past gear, and has its minuses - CPU usage on Aether/B2, audible noise when modulating controls, IMO cartoonish interfaces, majority of presets are more focused on AMBIENT HUGENESS than bread & butter mix-blend reverb.

Personally I love the 2CA interfaces. especially the new ones (Breeze 2 and Precedence). I think they are incredibly well-designed and highly forward thinking (i.e. truly modern).

Besides I find B2 typically to be rather light on the CPU - but given its modular approach, it can of course potentially consume a lot of CPU. Keep in mind that it is TWO identical engines, each consisting of - besides the actual reverb - modulation and all - a high quality saturation module and a very versatile dynamics module (high quality again) with the ability of up to 4x oversampling. Also the reverb tail can be "XRTM"ly dense. That will have a big impact on the CPU too, of course.
Thus I think it isn't really fair to say B2 had a high CPU usage. It can have.

Oh, and another thing:

both B2 and Breeze 2 can be very clean& natural and near invisible but also do a lot of vintage style stuff - especially constant density reverbs in Breeze 2 are impressive.
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Winstontaneous wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:41 pm
I have 2C Audio Perfect Storm, Exponential R4, and have demo'd Nimbus. There's some overlap but they complement each other well. [snip...]
I agree with everything you said...

I have the 2c reverbs and Phoenix. I also have the Liquidsonics reverbs. I think they cover a nice range for non-SFX reverbs for me. I am considering the crossgrade to the stereo bundle for, now, $167 at JRR. Minus, perhaps, $30 net from sale of my Phoenix, for $137 for Nimbus, R4 and Excaliber. Thing is I use Phoenix the least of those reverbs, tending more towards Liquidsonics. :phones:

Hmmmm i have r2 and upgraded to r4 in the past from the focusrite collective deal. I think those licenses are nfr?

Isnt the bundle somehow cheaper for r4 owners? Cant you sell the r4 license somehow?
DAW FL Studio Audio Interface Focusrite Scarlett 1st Gen 2i2 CPU Intel i7-7700K 4.20 GHz, RAM 32 GB Dual-Channel DDR4 @2400MHz Corsair Vengeance. MB Asus Prime Z270-K, GPU Gainward 1070 GTX GS 8GB NT Be Quiet DP 550W OS Win10 64Bit

wouldn't you have to pay $25 per plugin for ilok Caine? Seems that makes it almost not worth it.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

Well, I finally went for it and bought the stereo bundle. Really good reverbs - would love to be able to ditch the iLok if I could, so hope iZotope convert to their system so I only have one to deal with.
Sweet child in time...

I don’t see iZotope wanting to kill one of its golden gooses. I think this will work out well for Exponential Audio as well, as it will improve its reach. The guy probably has access to resources and DSP technology he otherwise never would have

Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:12 am Well, I finally went for it and bought the stereo bundle. Really good reverbs - would love to be able to ditch the iLok if I could, so hope iZotope convert to their system so I only have one to deal with.
It won't happen, as already pointed out in this thread.

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:32 pm
Deep Purple wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:12 am Well, I finally went for it and bought the stereo bundle. Really good reverbs - would love to be able to ditch the iLok if I could, so hope iZotope convert to their system so I only have one to deal with.
It won't happen, as already pointed out in this thread.
The only thing I see is that iZotope support said that it won't happen in the current iteration - is that what you're referring to?
Sweet child in time...

Return to “Effects”