Audiority Heavy Pedal updated to v2.2 - The Swedish Chainsaw - AAX/AU/CLAP/VST2/VST3

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Heavy Pedal

We are happy to announce to you our newest effect plugin: Heavy Pedal mkII - The Swedish Chainsaw

Heavy Pedal is a faithful analog modeled simulation of the infamous Swedish Chainsaw distortion stompbox introduced in the mid '80s and that sculpted the guitar tone of many metal guitarists.

This high gain pedal is definitely the dark side in the panorama of distortion pedals. We took our time to find a pristine conditions Japanese version of the pedal (ours is dated 1984) and we modeled it as close as possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVAjWL1vUg8

Price: $20/€20

More info: https://www.audiority.com/shop/heavy-pedal/

Cheers,
Luca
Last edited by Audiority on Fri Jan 05, 2024 2:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.

I don't like metal much but I love the pedal that is modeled here (truth be told, I only know the Behringer clone).
Audiority's Pedalboard: Distortions bundle is a bargain, and today it is an expanded and discounted one :party:

Thanks! By the way here's a comparison video between an original japanese HM-2 and the plugin. Enjoy! :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6GiuSTV27Y

Luca

i still don't get this pedal (nor the MetalZone). oh well.

however, this made me check out the rest of the distortion bundle. i'm not much of a Big Muff sound fan, but it was pretty easy to get stoner sounds out of, so i guess it's pretty accurate. the Fuzzface sounds awesome, but is too polite IMO - it doesn't destroy the sound enough (compared to, say, the Audified MultiDrive Pro version of the Fuzz face).

however, it's the DS-1 that got me dumbfounded, because Audiority's version actually sounds good! i don't know if it's the other emulations that are inaccurate, or Audiority's take on it gives too much credit to the pedal, or maybe it's that Audiority found the one DS-1 unit that doesn't sound like nails on a chalkboard, but i think the distortion bundle is worth it for that pedal alone. the sweet spot on this pedal is, as usual, very narrow, but it is sweet!
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Thanks, Burillo! Actually our Blue Face is close to our silicon Fuzz Face, while I just got a germanium one and it's NASTY. The DS-1 sounds close too and it actually depends on the amp you are using. Pedalboard Distortion will get a serious reface through the year tho. I have something cool in my mind :)

HM2 - legendary! Not just for the metel, but also shoegaze/heavier indie/goth stuff - Belinda Butcher of My Bloody Valentine famously using it on bass, and Daniel Ash from Bauhaus also being a devotee. I used to love mine 'back in the day', never should have sold it. :cry: Let's have a go of this pluggie!

I took this plugin for a test drive and it sounds really "nice" (as nice as a chainsaw can sound :wink:). It really gives you that Entombed/Dismember sound when used with a seven string.

I'm interested in buying it but unfortunately the plugin crashed several times on me during testing. :( Here's some crude bug report:
  • The last crash occurred when I started to turn the "Mix" knob of the plugin.
  • I have used it with the clean channels of Mercuriall Spark and Ignite Amps Emissary. On both occasions I got crashes therefore I assume they are caused by the plugin.
  • My DAW is REAPER 5.978.
Another thing that I have noticed is that the sound gets mangled/broken when I switch to "HQ" mode. One way to fix this is by changing the "TYPE" back and forth.

Subscribing to this topic for potential updates and crash fixes.
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

BlitBit wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 pm I'm interested in buying it but unfortunately the plugin crashed several times on me during testing. :(
Thanks for the report. I'll check this first thing on Monday morning. Are you on Mac or PC?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Luca

Audiority wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:38 pm
BlitBit wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 8:47 pm I'm interested in buying it but unfortunately the plugin crashed several times on me during testing. :(
Thanks for the report. I'll check this first thing on Monday morning. Are you on Mac or PC?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Luca
Thanks for checking! I am on PC.

Here are some steps to reproduce the "HQ" issue. For me it only occurs when I am on the type "MIJ Japan" or "SWEDE!":
  1. Open REAPER.
  2. Add a new track.
  3. Pull in some audio for the track.
  4. Toggle Repeat.
  5. Play.
  6. Add an instance of "Heavy Pedal" to the track.
  7. Set "TYPE" to "MIJ Japan".
  8. Click "HQ". The sound now becomes very faint.
  9. Set "TYPE" to "Default". The sound is back.
  10. Set "TYPE" to "MIJ Japan". Now the sound is also OK with the "MIJ Japan" type.
By the way, it's a little bit confusing that then EQ always jumps back to the max settings when moving it with the "SWEDE!" type set. I first thought it was a bug until I checked the manual. I think it would be better if it could be shaped in that setting as well (even if the "swedish" setting is having everything maxed out). If I understand correctly the "SWEDE!" type also implements a certain circuit/spectrum?
Passed 303 posts. Next stop: 808.

Oh, thank the gods. Somebody finally did an accurate sim of the HM-2.

Now, nobody will ever have to make another one. Ever. Again. :P

BlitBit wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:35 pm By the way, it's a little bit confusing that then EQ always jumps back to the max settings when moving it with the "SWEDE!" type set. I first thought it was a bug until I checked the manual. I think it would be better if it could be shaped in that setting as well (even if the "swedish" setting is having everything maxed out). If I understand correctly the "SWEDE!" type also implements a certain circuit/spectrum?
Bug confirmed on Windows only. About the "SWEDE!" type: it uses an impulse response of the original HM-2 with both EQs set at max, so you are unable to set them to another position. That for who wants that setting alone.

Oh.. does anybody found the easter egg yet? :D

Luca

Audiority wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 pm Thanks, Burillo! Actually our Blue Face is close to our silicon Fuzz Face, while I just got a germanium one and it's NASTY. The DS-1 sounds close too and it actually depends on the amp you are using. Pedalboard Distortion will get a serious reface through the year tho. I have something cool in my mind :)
does that mean we get a germanium fuzz face ala multiple modes in the HM-2? :hyper: :hyper:
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

I am sorry but this pedal is just fuckingbadass. What a group of pedals! I never leave home without the BlueFace on everything. Now I dont know what to do. Excellent excellent work on this.

our Blue Face is close to our silicon Fuzz Face, while I just got a germanium one and it's NASTY.
I've always thought silicon was nastier than germanium. Gilmourish states this too, describing germanium as more warm, muddier and darker sounding, while naming silicon fuzz more aggressive, with more gain (especially with BC109 transistors), brighter tone and more sustain.

Audiority wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:26 pm Thanks, Burillo! Actually our Blue Face is close to our silicon Fuzz Face, while I just got a germanium one and it's NASTY. The DS-1 sounds close too and it actually depends on the amp you are using. Pedalboard Distortion will get a serious reface through the year tho. I have something cool in my mind :)
Hoping it might be something like an actual pedalboard, with one plugin to load all of the pedals like modules. This might be most useful if you were to add an overdrive pedal or two into the bundle, so we could change the order of overdrive and fuzz together. :)

Return to “Effects”