Smart:comp by Sonible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

mladi wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 8:21 am I think that was the pre-order but have you seen this?: Crossgrade at Plugin Boutique $64.50:

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ime-Offer-
Awesome. Total no brainer at that price. Though with the Kush comp and Massive - it is going to be an expensive month!

Goodness, Smoothest Sidechain Pumper I've heard so far.

I really didn't want to spend any more dollar on Compressors, I honestly have enough Comps...all the best ones that is out there.

but I thought of Comparing with other (External Sidechain) Comps just in case. compared this with Fabfilter Pro C2 and Ableton Glue Compressor.

For Me - Fabfilter was not good at all, Ableton Glue was 2nd best, but Sonible Smart Comp is so Damn Good....Very Sweet and Organic Flow, just feels better than anything out there.

Excellent Work Sonible....I took my time off to record this Comparison, You guys deserve the Appreciation and Shout out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_eGNnV04y9I
B Ray - Embrays - RAY
Valhalla Delay - 120 Presets, D16 Repeater - 80 Presets, Soundtoys Effectrack 150+ Presets, PA Unfiltered Audio BYOME - 100 Presets, Venomode Phrasebox - 100 Presets - https://gumroad.com/embrays

What’s the PDC on this thing? Does it vary depending on settings? One thing that bugged me about smart eq 2 was the really high PDC.

2048 samples to perform the FFT.

hey. has anyone been able to make a comparison with trackspacer in terms of attack and release times of the ducking?
i love the idea of trackspacer (especially with the new sidechain possibilities in ableton 10.1), but for me the attack and release times are too slow in v2.5 - even in the fastest settings (there was a test by someone who found out their coded values are way slower than the ones displayed).

Yes, this is replacing Trackspacer for me in most cases. I'm still hanging onto Trackspacer since it's fundamentally a dynamic EQ while this is a compressor, and maybe Wavesfactory will improve on it. But if you have neither, I think this is the one to get right now.

i would be ok with either dynamic EQ or dynamic compression for the "carving" job. but i realized that smart:comp is not really dynamic, because the spectral analyzer is not listening to the incoming signal consistently. instead you "teach" it a short snapshot of the sidechained signal. i would like the comp to adjust dynamically all the time, like trackspacer does.
so yeah, i also hope they will improve on it, because their solution is still unique, afaik.

Deskada wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:27 am i would be ok with either dynamic EQ or dynamic compression for the "carving" job. but i realized that smart:comp is not really dynamic, because the spectral analyzer is not listening to the incoming signal consistently. instead you "teach" it a short snapshot of the sidechained signal. i would like the comp to adjust dynamically all the time, like trackspacer does.
so yeah, i also hope they will improve on it, because their solution is still unique, afaik.
But from my understanding the spectral comp is constantly updating. At least that’s the impression I got from sonible’s posts on gearslutz.

Yeah i have similar questions about the learning functions. Since you turn on the FFT at any time, it's clearly not necessary, but i wonder how much, if at all, it informs what the FFT comp does. Will it be more tailored to the marerial if you use it or is the learning function just for the main compressor? Does it make a difference to just set it to, say, drums but not hit the "listen" button?

ok, so i installed the demo for a quick test of the spectral ducking.
i threw smart:comp on a bass track with a closing lowpass filter and sidechained it to a drum track with kick and snare.

1) the learning time depends on the "amount" of incoming sidechain signal (drums). the learning meter "fills" only when there is a signal coming in.
2) after the learning phase it sets the compressor values depending on the sidechained signal.
3) it IS listening all the time to the sidechained signal though, and adjusts the frequencies that are compressed (carved out) if the sidechained signal changes, even after the learning phase.
(when i sidechained only the kick, it compressed the kick frequencies. when i sidechained the whole drum track, it compressed kick and snare frequencies.)
4) attack and release times are way faster than trackspacer (2.5), so smart:comp's carving should also work in faster metal tracks.

what i didn't understand was the spectral display. i thought it shows the frequencies that are compressed on the bass track, because it displayed the frequency spectrum of the incoming sidechain signal (the drums).
but when the filter on the bass track was open (so it included high frequencies), the displayed spectrum showed just low frequencies being compressed, and not the high ones anymore.

I was reserved when I saw the initial feedback for this comp. There's lots of comps and most of them do the same stuff. I have tried it out on literately every track on 2 mixes. It is by far the best compressor in my entire kit. It's super transparent, can side-chain like a boss, and it's learn function get you pretty close in most situations. It's crazy good, and priced lower than the competition. You need to check this comp out.

Bought it yesterday and found out, that the bugs I reported (AutoGain is re-activated / Detection Focus-window back to default setting after closing and reopening the plugin, and also after saving with a preset and re-loading this preset) are now gone. So they are obviously related to the trial status.

A request concerning the AutoGain (besides that it should work properly):
it would be great if the AutoGain would always be recalculated anew after deactivating and reactivating the button. Because playing around with the parameters always effects the output gain, and sometimes drastically when you make changes in the Detection Focus-widow - but for now the AutoGain always stays with the setting it has learnt, meaning: for now with every change in the settings you always have to hit the learn button to get the appropriate AutoGain, which is very cumbersome and slows down the workflow.
Once the AutoGain works properly this really would make a difference.

yellowmix wrote: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:02 am Yes, this is replacing Trackspacer for me in most cases. I'm still hanging onto Trackspacer since it's fundamentally a dynamic EQ while this is a compressor, and maybe Wavesfactory will improve on it. But if you have neither, I think this is the one to get right now.
Trackspacer has zero delay, if that factors into anyone else's decision making.

MBP late 2013
OSX 10.9.5
Bitwig 2.5.1 (latest) - vst

I had reported that after buying the plugin both bugs (AutoGain + Detection Focus-window) were gone -
but obviously I only had some lucky sessions because now they are back.

amwk wrote: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am Bought it yesterday and found out, that the bugs I reported (AutoGain is re-activated / Detection Focus-window back to default setting after closing and reopening the plugin, and also after saving with a preset and re-loading this preset) are now gone.
Yeah I was using this in Cubase the other day and it kept doing that shit. So try a bunch of stuff to make sure it's not some anomaly, then I go to the Sonible website and write out the bug report, and it stops happening, and I think it must be done with

I guess it comes and goes. I havent noticed it at all in Ableton Live though.

Return to “Effects”