Smart:comp by Sonible

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dang, many good reviews. It's iLok tho, right?

see below :)
Last edited by neverbeeninariot on Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:46 pm Nope, serial number (edit: computer-tied internet authentication on first registration, but it's not on my soft-ilok).

so i dont need pace manager to run it? :o

From Sonible support - "the plug-in only needs an internet connection during the trial period and for license activation. During the trial perdiod, the plug-in needs to go online everytime it is used. Once the plug-in has successfully been licensed, an internet connection is no longer needed"

Only two machines can be licensed at a time though (personally not a big deal here...).

But yeah, no pace software required. w00t! :)

Has anyone compared it to plugin alliance DSM v2?
Yorgos Simeonidis

filulilu wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 pm Has anyone compared it to plugin alliance DSM v2?
Yeah, SmartComp can be used by my dog. No need to be an astrophysicist. :)
(just kidding... or not)
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

filulilu wrote: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:02 pm Has anyone compared it to plugin alliance DSM v2?
They're a little too different to compare. The M in DSM is for "mapper", since it learns EQ balance from a source signal and dynamically applies the same treatment to another signal. So it depends heavily on what source signal you're feeding it.

smart:comp is a compressor that has instrument categories to optimize the psychoacoustic properties of what frequencies it can push down or leave alone. You could run smart:comp after you've used DSM to get the general balance of whatever you're copying, to further tighten it up.

Sonible is aware of the bug and they are working on it.
However, there's a workaround for now.

- If you have "smart state" on (the little button next to the profile list is blue) then both the auto-gain and the focus settings cannot be changed, because (I guess) are part of the "AI-suggested" settings. So, even if you change those settings and then you close and open the plugin, those settings are reversed to the AI suggestion

- if you have "smart state" off, then you can change anything you want, and your changes are kept even after you close the plugin

So, to avoid the bug, try the following:
1) let the AI learn and implement a set of settings.
2) now, your "smart state" button should be blue (on)
3) now, change any setting by a tiny bit (like, the threshold even by a 0.1 db, or whatever you want)
4) your "smart state" button turns black (off)
5) now, you can change auto-gain, focus, whatever you want, and your changes are kept (as long as you don't return to the "smart state" mode on)

Voilà.

Like it, Bought. That workaround helps, now let's hope for a speedy update.
More BPM please

Just curious if anyone is finding they get any more use out of this on acoustic material vs synthesized sound (drums or otherwise)? And are you all using it on individual tracks or busses/stereo bus?

I have two days left to get this at the intro price - I'm a hobbyist producer and I mostly make synth-pop (so this would probably also apply to the EDM types.) I currently use Klevgrand Korvpressor when I want quick/dirty compressing but it sounds like this would color the sound a lot less than that tool + add some spectral dynamics shaping I don't get from that?

I keep my rig offline so I'm not able to test it out, but smarteq+2 has been a revelation for my process so I'm quite tempted.

S:C’s main features are its spectral processing and automatic parameterization. Essentially, it sets the appropriate parameters based on the bpm of the song and frequency profile of the source. You can go a lot of the way by figuring out the paramterization using charts. Not sure about how to duplicate the spectral processing. However, check out the GS thread. It has the charts and also feedback from users who say it’s no better than TDR Kotelnikov.

For the cleanest transparency with s:c there’s an option to disable the nothing fancy saturation in the settings. I like to do this followed by my own saturation.

I get the basic premise of compression. I never got beyond using presets. This will be a godsend for me.. :party:

Just demoing this today, this is fantastic. I don't care for any of the AI biz but the compression sound with being able to change the attack and release curve sounds amazing. Tucking and gluing perfectly. If I'd known of the discount I'd have opted for that plugin boutique offer of the free eq but that wasn't for me. I think I will get this at some point. Will continue to demo for now, really good job on this.

Return to “Effects”