The "NEW" Plugin Alliance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

jens wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:39 pm
SLiC wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:27 pm Yeh, I agree...I personally find no need for these (or PA) single, strips or fx etc, I have it covered several times over... but it’s the same kinda deal....have it All for xxx and use just a couple of the occasionally.. it’s not value.

Yes, exactly. Which is basically also my main point throughout this thread.

PA don't need to sell me their stuff for 4$. They just need to try harder to offer something that is really worthwhile - they have so much overlap in their catalogue it's not funny anymore. Unfiltered Audio aside the have only one delay, one reverb* - and both aren't very popular - perhaps that's because they just aren't very good. And yet they keep churning out compressors and EQs and channel-strips (i.e. more compressors and EQs) as if their life depended upon it. And I am not really very keen on buying more of these - especially since (as I mentioned before here) I think they are done half-arsedly and without love for detail.
And a subscription is most definitely the last thing that will motivate me to throw more money at them.

(*I'm not trying to say that I need more reverbs or delays though - I certainly don't :hihi:)
Very much agreed.

Unfiltered Audio almost seems like the black sheep of the PA family, because they're way left-field of the rest of the PA line, but in the good way. They're the only ones in the PA lineup that have really interested me, aside from a few other utility plugins like Metric AB and bx_subsynth (not many other plugins like that one, specifically).

I'm personally not a fan of the channelstrip/hardware emulation thing. The skeuomorphism of the interfaces don't lend themselves well to workflow with a mouse and a computer monitor, imho.

Really dislike this trend of subscription model. For developers, to make their offering more affordable is just a marketing strategy. IMO this is mainly to appeal to the producers new to their products. For someone like me having invested quite a lot in Slate/PA plugins before they going down the subscription route, I do not feel comfortable with this. And there rarely are sweeteners for existing customers to smoothly transition to the new model. In the case of PA, it is getting ridiculous to see more and more new products being listed in the hyped price range.

I took a dive into the rent-to-own model. Melda's way has been consistent, so is Propellhead's. Waves' WUP is fine as long as it falls within my expectation. PA's Pick Pack method was acceptable for me, but their way of changing things is often dramatic. It forces me to re-think whenever buying PA plugins. Similar trends are also obvious in the market of sample library. Some sample providers follow Splice, and I immediately stopped buying from them, let alone subscribing.

Perhaps the root of this subscription trend is down to steady income stream, which is welcomed by venture capitals and investors. The model is also appealing to newer generation of producers or wannabes. This is a significant chunk of users and niche market. But I want to own tools that can help music-production, not utility bills that could easily slipped through my attention and soon piled to financial agony. In one occasion, a developer sent me email survey asked why not subscribing. I am not bother replying as they do not respect the paying customers that help them from small company to now where they are.

I have no issues with subscriptions. I just don't want them, but since I don't have to, I don't care.
What annoys me and this is not only true for PA are the absurd prices, if you want to buy a single license. I can't help myself, but first and foremost these prices try to tell you: Look, how much you save, if you subscribe.
And I don't want to have 80 plugins in my DAW, I never use.
The elder folks are bleeding plugins anyway.

Yo * Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will da intro price be muh motha fookin price forever, or iz it just valid fo' da 1st year afta ah sign up?
PA: If you sign up usin` yo' voucher above you will git yo' special price fo' as long as you don' cancel.

Q: ah own several PA licenses already, but ah wants ta use da bundle now. Will ah lose muh motha fookin old PA licenses if ah subscribe ta da bundle an' then cancel at some point?
PA: nahh, you will keep all yo' previously existing full licenses, even if you cancel da bundle subscription at some point.

Q: Can ah sell muh motha fookin old PA licenses afta ah sign up fo' MEGA?
PA: yeea , we's still allow fo' license transfers, even if you subscribe ta our bundle.

Q: iz it true dat ah can activate all PA plugins on 3 different machines if ah subscribe ta da MEGA bundle?
PA: Absolutely! Activate any 3 computers or USB sticks (or any combination).

Q: Can ah pay monthly as well?
PA: yeea , you will soon be able ta pay monf-ta-monf, but it will be mo' expensive than dis here pre-paid annual intro offer.

* Local VAT taxes will be added fo' purchases within da EU, only if applicable an don't make me pull mah cock!
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I have no issue with absurd prices either... since i don't have to buy, i don't care. I'll just wait for a decent price. :shrug:

Can't believe which non issues bother people these days.

Subscription plans are a part of nature. After all, life is a subscription plan (that you cannot renew).

yehboy1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:53 pm Subscription plans are a part of nature. After all, life is a subscription plan (that you cannot renew).
I renew mine every time I have a glass of wine .. sorry ... I meant every time I eat of course.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:37 pm I have no issue with absurd prices either... since i don't have to buy, i don't care. I'll just wait for a decent price. :shrug:

Can't believe which non issues bother people these days.
Yup, I don't get all the whining and complaining either. Nobody is forced to buy anything or to subscribe. Don't like their marketing? Unsubscribe from their newsletters! Advertising in general is full of BS and we all know it.

People need to relax and just move on. There are plenty of options out there.

Aloysius wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:36 pm Yo * Frequently Asked Questions

Q: Will da intro price be muh motha fookin price forever, or iz it just valid fo' da 1st year afta ah sign up?
PA: If you sign up usin` yo' voucher above you will git yo' special price fo' as long as you don' cancel.

* Local VAT taxes will be added fo' purchases within da EU, only if applicable an don't make me pull mah cock!
Aha..Bruh yo go de "Big_Knob_Produzzer_Translator" safe... now me dig dis shit
thanx bro :tu:

toonertik wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm

If ya dont keep subbing to r subscription spam u wont get no voucherzz no more dudez.

lnikj wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:09 pm
toonertik wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:04 pm

If ya dont keep subbing to r subscription spam u wont get no voucherzz no more dudez.
No voucherzz no more... aawwww maaaaan :(
Subbing my ass away like amorrow ain't comin' no more

$215.99 per year is not a bad deal -- I usually end up spending more when buying their individual plugins with discounts.

All this hostility in the face of what is basically a gift from PA is infuriating. Believe me, if you want to make a song you are going to need every one of those 80 analog compressor emulations.

yehboy1 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:21 pm All this hostility in the face of what is basically a gift from PA is infuriating. Believe me, if you want to make a song you are going to need every one of those 80 analog compressor emulations.
:hyper: :lol:

marses wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:17 pm $215.99 per year is not a bad deal -- I usually end up spending more when buying their individual plugins with discounts.
The difference is your not buying them, your just renting them.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Return to “Effects”