DSM V3 - Another PA plugin released today

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Here it is

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... sm_v3.html

FEATURES
Capture the signature sound from one track, and dynamically impress it upon a different track.

The Dynamic Spectrum Mapping of the DSM V3 lends a more believable result than the conventional EQ matching method.

Balance out individual tracks by capturing a perfect section of the file and applying it to the whole track.

DSM V3 is not only offering compression but also expansion of your audio material.

Improved workflow adding intuitive control for adjusting frequency curves.

More than 3 times as many frequency bands as conventional multiband compressors, with particularly fine resolution in the mids and highs, where the lion's share of character and vocal timbre are formed.

Proprietary Capture System uses both spectral and dynamic information to obtain a Threshold Curve. Thus, program compression, expansion and de-essing is performed with reference to a credible, authentic frequency response.

Super-smooth, resilient compression and expansion. Large dynamic events and spectrally complex percussion are compressed with ease. Out-of-character tonal changes are avoided, even under heavy compression.

Transients are kept intact, never smoothed-over. The importance of this cannot be overstated, and is where many "spectral" audio processors end up ruining your mixes. The DSM V3 always keeps the punch and detail intact.

Mastering Limiter is 100% transparent below -1dBFS.This means the Limiter only processes the peaks, leaving everything else untouched. Again, all transient detail is preserved, even above digital maximum.

Parallel Compression is easily achieved with the Dry/Wet mix control.

Allows import of DSM V2 capture curves

Developed as a completely new plugin, basing on the same processing as V2

New in DSM V3:

All new Expand mode.

Fully active spectrum sidechain input with source selection.

Active Drag handles on Spectrum graph.

Limiter and DSM dynamic processing can now be used independently.

Improved signal flow for greater convenience.

More convenient setup and curve store and restore management.

Scalable GUI from 50% to 150%.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

I'm honestly curious about PAs strategy at the moment, pumping out so many new plug-ins in such a short time. I honestly can't see any benefits to it, since to me it'll just lead to saturation and possibly cannibalization doing it this way.

I hope they fixed the issue with saving curves. I rarely used it because of that issue. In fact, saving EQ curves was the primary reason I bought it. I see no reason to upgrade for something that has let me down from the start. In fact, I see nothing new that this new version does that towers over the previous version. It is a great tool and I really liked how effective of a tool it can be but because of the saving issues...I just never used it as much. Shame too, because it was an expensive purchase for me at the time. If this version is more stable and has none of the problems of the previous version, and if the upgrade cost is trivial...I'm talking $20, I'll consider it.

I'm very melancholy about this.
Last edited by Mathematics on Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

BeeDog wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am I'm honestly curious about PAs strategy at the moment, pumping out so many new plug-ins in such a short time. I honestly can't see any benefits to it, since to me it'll just lead to saturation and possibly cannibalization doing it this way.
In this particular case, their claim of "new" looks to be a bit of a stretch.
PA wrote:The Dynamic Spectrum Mapper V3 is not just another version, but a brand NEW forward-thinking tool.

I found DSM V2 to be a really unique and interesting plugin but the issues with curve capture & losing settings etc. meant I never really used it much in projects. If the new version is more stable and streamlined then I'll definitely take a look. I remember having a lot of fun capturing curves from really bust up old black metal recordings and lofi ambient stuff etc. and applying them to elements creatively.

BeeDog wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:56 am I'm honestly curious about PAs strategy at the moment, pumping out so many new plug-ins in such a short time. I honestly can't see any benefits to it, since to me it'll just lead to saturation and possibly cannibalization doing it this way.
There's a few more coming. It's 12 new releases in total.

I can't see any issue with this however. It's all completely different products (and partly from different developers b.t.w.) so how could this lead to saturation?

Cannibalization? Care to explain?
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

jens wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am

I can't see any issue with this however. It's all completely different products (and partly from different developers b.t.w.) so how could this lead to saturation?

If they trickle their releases over time, it's easier for PA regulars to impulse purchase the plug-ins one at a time at release, use their vouchers etc., but if they dump tons of different products at once, the risk is higher that a potential customer will buy just one product and discard/forget the rest, or even be so overwhelmed as to not buy anything. Thus, there's always a risk of losing sales in the longer run, hence cannibalization.

I think for users to post about why releases are made vs is it good or cool is very odd. Sounds like a hard on at the beach

I had to look that one up for it to make any sense. So ...

Definition: Cannibalization refers to the loss of a product's sales due to the release of a newly created product. In other words, a newly introduced product line might take away market share from an existing product line instead of gaining overall market share for the company.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

BeeDog wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am If they trickle their releases over time, it's easier for PA regulars to impulse purchase the plug-ins one at a time at release, use their vouchers etc., but if they dump tons of different products at once, the risk is higher that a potential customer will buy just one product and discard/forget the rest, or even be so overwhelmed as to not buy anything. Thus, there's always a risk of losing sales in the longer run, hence cannibalization.
1. Depends if they sustain this level of production or if it is a timed release burst ahead of the subscription and to allow for "aging" to Flash Sales and the Winter Sale.
2. Dynamic Discount is always available, encouraging bulk purchases.
3. Provides more reason to subscribe.
4. Yes, they can devalue the voucher by overwhelming it, but they've always had a lot of plugins. 15 (14.5 really, DSM 3 refreshes 2) added to their aging library nets how many additional purchases from the median individual spread over a year of vouchers and sales?

I'm curious how much the upgrade is from DSM V2 to V3.

yellowmix wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:07 am I'm curious how much the upgrade is from DSM V2 to V3.
Based on their usual pricing model, I expect it will be $49.

Very easy to explain IMO. They’re gearing up for a subscription model so the more they have in their portfolio the better value this method seems.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

BeeDog wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:29 am
jens wrote: Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:30 am

If they trickle their releases over time, it's easier for PA regulars to impulse purchase the plug-ins one at a time at release, use their vouchers etc., but if they dump tons of different products at once, the risk is higher that a potential customer will buy just one product and discard/forget the rest, or even be so overwhelmed as to not buy anything. Thus, there's always a risk of losing sales in the longer run, hence cannibalization.
I disagree - most of us do not purchase at full price anyway.
And if you do, chances are it's because you really want that product and then another newly released product in another category will most probably not take away from that. Most of us however don't purchase PA plugins because we really want them... :hihi:
"Preamps have literally one job: when you turn up the gain, it gets louder." Jamcat, talking about presmp-emulation plugins.

Haven't we already established that the plan is: release a bunch of new products at once - get people wanting multiple - announce low price subscription service?

You can't see any benefit to pumping out more products? How can there be saturation if they are all different plugins?? Maybe it's just me but I don't quite get your logic.

Return to “Effects”