Best 1176 and La-2A plugins for dance?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What do you mean ‘for dance’?
An LA-2A and 1176 is just that :?:
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

ramseysounds wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:17 pm What do you mean ‘for dance’?
An LA-2A and 1176 is just that :?:
This is one of the oldest, most common misconceptions with beginners and it rears its head around here all the time... I don't really know where it's coming from.

"What's the best hammer for nails?"

I get what you’re saying.

I’m just being clear what the applications would be and what I’m looking for.

Also, I want to get a sense of what people who make dance think are best compressors. My experience is that listening to the opinion of someone who mixes and masters rock or acoustic music doesn’t necessarily translate.

But, not to be argumentative, sometimes different hammers make a difference. That’s why there are lots of different types of hammers. And different kinds of nails for that matter.

If they're true to an LA-2A or an 1176 it sounds like one of these.
LA-2A is slower and has a nice tube saturation, 1176 is very fast.

I'm not into dance music, but my favs are the IKM Black 76, the CLA-2A, the UAD sims and sadly many more :).

Look for companies which offer trials and make up your mind.

Good luck

Have you tried your DAW’s stock compressors? It all depends on what you want your compressor to do really. Do you actually want an LA-2A or 1176?

perpetual3 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:16 pm
But, not to be argumentative, sometimes different hammers make a difference. That’s why there are lots of different types of hammers. And different kinds of nails for that matter.
True, but the question really is:
How much of what makes a house special is defined by the type of hammer that was used to build it?

You can make any kind of dance music with any kind of compressor. It'll still be dance music. No one will complain that the type of compressor was an 1176 instead of an LA2A, just like no-one but professional builders will be interested by what kind of hammer was used to build a house.

My suggestion is to just try different compressors out and not worry if it's "the" compressor all the pro dance producers seem to use.

Liero wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:55 pm You can make any kind of dance music with any kind of compressor. It'll still be dance music.
My suggestion is to just try different compressors out and not worry if it's "the" compressor all the pro dance producers seem to use.
This +1000 :tu:

Thank so for all the replies and that is what I currently do - I use by far Ableton’s stock compressors. I’ve used some others like Novatron in the past, I was just evaluating whether the sub was right for me and using it as a means to demo all Kush plugs. I ended up cancelling the sub, lost my dongle and don’t find the expense worth it for me at the moment. I do like Novatron a lot too.

I’m not “worried” about it per se. I’m just very curious to see what other people use, especially with regards to those iconic devices because of the extensive hype. I do understand the “demo it and decide for yourself”. But there are A LOT of compressors, and those two in particular. I want others opinions to help filter things down a bit. Hope that’s ok.

Looking for ultimate Punch and Weight at the same time is critical to achieve in mixing (no matter what music genre) because the tasks are enemies in physics.
  • Punch = Transients (slow attack time which counteracts weight)
  • Weight = Loudness (fast attack time which counteracts punch)
Parallel Compression solves this problem. Delivers best of both worlds result.

Etienne1973 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:13 pm Looking for ultimate Punch and Weight at the same time is critical to achieve in mixing (no matter what music genre) because the tasks are enemies in physics.
  • Punch = Transients (slow attack time which counteracts weight)
  • Weight = Loudness (fast attack time which counteracts punch)
Parallel Compression solves this problem. Delivers best of both worlds result.
So basically use any compressor in parallel, as suggested earlier.

You might like this article on SoS: https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques ... ompressors

If it is TL;DR, there's a "summary of the classic compressors...found to be most widely used by name producers."

DRUMS
  • API 2500
  • Dbx 160X
  • Empirical Labs Distressor
  • Fairchild 660 & 670
  • Neve/EMI TG12413 and re-issues/emulations: Chandler TG1, Zener TG12413, EMI plug-in emulation
  • SSL G-series console master compressor and Smart Research C2 emulation
  • Urei 1176 & 1178
BASS
  • Joemeek SC2
  • Urei 1176
  • Teletronix LA2A
  • Valve compressors from Altec, Fairchild, Gates & Summit

I really like the ones from BRA.
You are currently reading my signature.

I really like Black 76 and White 2A from IK Multimedia. These two were the reasons to sell my Liquid Mix back then. The 76 is great to add punch, especially with the all in setting. At the same time I find the 2A to be more on the smooth side (like with other LA-2A emulations as well).

I also agree that parallel compression and transient shapers can be the solution in many cases. For parallel compression, I would go for an SSL, API 2500, Distressor or 1176 type compressor and for transient shapers you really have to experiment I guess. What worked for me most of the time was the multiband envelope shaper in Cubase. Also tried the SPL offerings from Plugin Alliance but wasn't that happy with the results so skipped them...

I suggest you demo DMG Trackcomp. Easy to switch between these different types and gives you extra (very useful) options.
If you don't buy it at least you get a feel for what these different compressors do, as it contains LA2A, 1176 and some other emulations including a really good SSL Mix compressor emu.
More BPM please

DMG Trackcomp is a very good recommendation.
The compressors made by Softube for NI are also very good (VC 2A, VC 76)

Return to “Effects”