Go-to track compressor?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

back in early days of recording i didnt use any comp when tracking
but now i found out that tracking with comp on are magical,helping singer to sing more confident
problem is latency they add
by far best tracking comp to me is gain reduction series by jst

The ones in my DAW for the regular approach. ThrillseekerVBL for "magic" and OTT for "uber".

Also TrackComp here.

I don't really like "goats" much, as they limit your ability to grow and learn new things. I'm not the kind to be content doing the same thing the same way from here to eternity. That's how you stagnate and how your stuff can become stale.

That said, I do pay attention to what works, for the most part. And if Ive tried something that doesn't seem to be working out, I can fall back on something that I know will work. I guess that kind of denotes a goto of another kind, but there is usually more than one.

I do also like to use CPU light processes on secondary tracks that are just background elements. It's hardly worth wasting all that useful DSP power on things that will be barely heard. I'd much rather keep the horsepower for more noticeable things. So often the DAW's stock processors work great here. I guess that's another kind of a goto as well.

The Brainworx bx_opto compressor is fine

I don't actually have a goto, as such. I have a "go-few", such as Mpressor, MJUC (Mu-Juice?), and Waves/T-Racks LA-2/3A and 1176. I'm not sure you can have a single, do-it-all compressor. And really, isn't a compressor such as TrackComp (excellent though it is) cheating a little? After all, it's half-dozen compressors in one. :hug:

U-He Presswerk

The one with your DAW. Most probably not a single latency issue.

Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:57 pm The one with your DAW. Most probably not a single latency issue.
True, and double-precision internal processing etc.

Definitely when I want to smash something completely then FL's Maximus has no external equal.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 9:57 pm
Distorted Horizon wrote: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:57 pm The one with your DAW. Most probably not a single latency issue.
True, and double-precision internal processing etc.

Definitely when I want to smash something completely then FL's Maximus has no external equal.
Xfer OTT & Vengeance Multiband

Vulf Compressor on drums and bx_Opto on pretty much everything else. The latter is my perfect comp; light, super easy, smooth performance and modern features such as wet/dry and SC filter. Vulf is when I want loads of color.

i have fallen in love with the AR-1 by Kush as of late... quite good for tracks and buses but it is quite flavored. still love Maximus... love it so much in FL Studio i actually bought it as a VST version to use elsewhere in other DAWs. also use Pro-C2 a lot for a more transparent comp. MJUC is not always perfect but it is rather sweet on a lot of things but mainly use it on buses. all of them work quite well for tracks imo... just a matter of if you want 'flavor' or transparent but i have never had a 'go to' anything :) cheers
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Very often overlooked is the Level Compressor which comes as option with TDR Limiter 6.

i DO hear a lot of good on the DMG TrackComp but just can't seem to get myself to pay almost $100 for it... not with all the other ones i have. here in the states it ain't 80 bucks lol... that is 74.99 pounds and personally never heard a 'pound' called a 'buck'... bucks are green back Dollar$ :)
Last edited by MadDogE134 on Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Calenberger wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:46 am Very often overlooked is the Level Compressor which comes as option with TDR Limiter 6.
Yep! awesome box of tools. Just remove modules and use only the compressor :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Return to “Effects”