Companies with Ridiculous Transfer Fees (Edited title)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

antic604 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 12:18 pm Perhaps not ridiculous in terms of amount, but the process - Vengeance / XPS Avenger!

First, you need to buy "license transfer" item in their shop (around 35EUR), seller needs to send the original purchase proof (invoice) to the buyer, then both the buyer and seller need to e-mail suport with their own and other party's info, then the seller needs to generate a text file from the plugin that's stored somewhere on HDD and send it to the buyer. In the end it didn't took that long to complete, but I've never seen a process as convoluted as this.
That's absolutely ridiculous, I already knew about some pretty bad moves from vengeance and some legit complaints from many users after they decided to change the copy protection from simple key file to a Dependent-To-Company license system, now many of the previous users of avenger had only 3 options: never upgrade from the previous version with the key file (completely excluded from any new updates or bug fixes), or update to this disgusting new system and (Literally) lose the product they paid for in order to be completely dependent of the company, or sell their licenses.

I really admired that synth some time ago but now it is a complete worthless disappointment, good news for me is that there is plenty of option in the software market, I'm really relaxed never invested my money there, the first thing I would do is sell it in the market place after this very bad move.

Very disappointing.

Thats why I sold Avenger, some bad management moves!

mcnelson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:52 am Wasn't it the main reason Image Line started allowing transfers ?
When did IL start allowing transfers?
The End User License Agreement (Section 6) clearly states we don't allow license transfers.
https://www.image-line.com/support/faq.php

I wasn't aware they'd ever changed this policy?
me too - there'd be a lot of copies of FL Studio for sale if they did

LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:47 am
Kongru wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:58 am Acustica transfer fees can often be $100+ because the transfer fee can be the difference between a sale price and full price.
Calenberger wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 7:23 am Don't forget FXpansion with their 50$ transfer fee.
WTF on both, especially acoustica, basically transfer fees are to make the price the same as a new plugin, so no one can actually get a bargin there, what the actual FK ?
Actually, it is worse to buy a used acustica product than buying new. Why?

Say the retail value is 150-200 euro. The "intro period" or sale value is now about $60 euro
which with loyalty discount is about 40 euro. Thus to buy the license you need, roughly speaking, to
pay from (150-40)+25 = 135 euro to (200-40)+25 = 185 euro rather than 40!!!

On top of everything, they take their time and usually reported time for a transfer to
happen is many weeks!

This system, which in my opinion is blatantly violating EU law that requires
that customers can resell sw licenses, essentially makes selling the
acustica software impossible.

Their justification is that the customers who have loyalty discounts cannot
undercut acustica's own sales. But this is BS since
(a) the nominal retail prices are hypotheticals (as opposed to the real ones
ie the intro and sales ones)
(b) what if I just want to give my licences to a friend or family member or charity
without gaining any money out of it? I have to pay worse than buying it new.

mcnelson wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:27 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:52 am Wasn't it the main reason Image Line started allowing transfers ?
When did IL start allowing transfers?
The End User License Agreement (Section 6) clearly states we don't allow license transfers.
https://www.image-line.com/support/faq.php

I wasn't aware they'd ever changed this policy?
Was it just for their plugins then? And not FL Studio.?
Don't trust those with words of weakness, they are the most aggressive

Some of these are pure horror stories tbh but the point was made, you have to do the research on the transfer policy and accept it, I guess, before purchasing it. Pretty muffed up in some cases

LeVzi wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 5:44 am Some of these are pure horror stories tbh
Some of them are, and some of them are real experiences.

Waves is crazy bad.

If I want to sell a bundle I have, it's $389 I have to give them before I can sell it.
$240 WUP plus $149 and change with the 5% of RRP, that's the fantasy make believe price with 3 zeros in the figure, but audio deluxe selling bundle recently for, yes of course $389! (after the discount of whatever promo they have currently), and Waves themselves had it for $450.

They are out of touch, these additional costs are not fine when they are devaluing their stuff so much.

iLok is great protection wise except for their high ($25 up to $50) single-transaction license transfer fee.

Burillo wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 10:27 am i would add Waves to this list. technically, they don't have a transfer fee, but you have to have an up-to-date WUP which is effectively a transfer fee.
Yep, this is the only one that bothers me. I suppose it depends what you are want to sell though. Maybe the high transfer plugins are keepers for me.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 am OK I changed the topic title, because I feel this is something worth discussing, and i'm mainly aiming this at Plugin Alliance.

Some plugins are worth less than $10, and people want to sell them, but the buyer forks out another $20 in a transfer fee. I wanted to buy a plugin from someone that cost $7, but would have to pay $20 for the PA transfer fee, sorry but wtf is that.

And before someone says "Companies need to make their money" I thought their sales pitch in the first place did that. I don't have a single paid for PA vst, nor will I buy one, their $20 policy is a joke tbh.

You realize that if you sign up to PA's newsletter, you get a monthly $25 voucher that you can you use to pay the $20 transfer fee, thus making the transfer fee cost $0.

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:45 pm
LeVzi wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:44 am OK I changed the topic title, because I feel this is something worth discussing, and i'm mainly aiming this at Plugin Alliance.

Some plugins are worth less than $10, and people want to sell them, but the buyer forks out another $20 in a transfer fee. I wanted to buy a plugin from someone that cost $7, but would have to pay $20 for the PA transfer fee, sorry but wtf is that.

And before someone says "Companies need to make their money" I thought their sales pitch in the first place did that. I don't have a single paid for PA vst, nor will I buy one, their $20 policy is a joke tbh.

You realize that if you sign up to PA's newsletter, you get a monthly $25 voucher that you can you use to pay the $20 transfer fee, thus making the transfer fee cost $0.
I am on their newsletter, can't recall ever getting vouchers ? I have a couple of freebie plugins they released, and Im pretty sure you had to sign up to the newsletter then...

JJ_Jettflow wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:45 pm You realize that if you sign up to PA's newsletter, you get a monthly $25 voucher that you can you use to pay the $20 transfer fee, thus making the transfer fee cost $0.
That's news to me as I've subscribed to their newsletter for years!
A bit fried in the higher freqs

You have to spend a certain amount with PA to get the monthly vouchers
Signatures are so early 2000s.

And there's now a minimum amount you have to spend in cash when using these vouchers...
The vouchers of PA are not worth that much anymore...

Return to “Effects”