CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey folks, just posted an updated release fixing some of the GUI and phase cancellation issues noted above. Hope this helps!

Much love for this & All the Things you are doing for us! I also passed the Tape Emu to some of the Bigger Artists, I know. You are getting lots of Recognition in many different Spaces & Places!
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

chowdsp wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 pm Hey folks, just posted an updated release fixing some of the GUI and phase cancellation issues noted above. Hope this helps!

chowdsp wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:49 pm
s28 wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:19 pm Hey Jatin, unfortunately the tape and the phaser GUI are messed
up for me. Win8, vst2 64 bit - Ableton Live 10.1

The tape gui used to work just fine for me btw. What can I do to help you figure out what the issue is?

I can still use the parameters on Abletons plugin wrapper but it's not as good!
Oh no! Messed up in what way? I got this bug report for the tape plugin. Is this the same issue you're experiencing?
Gabriel Garcia wrote: Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:17 pm I've tested v2.3.3 and found the phase issues with the dry/wet knob are much better now but there's still some cancellation with a big dip (-27dB) at 18kHz (tested default preset, 40% wet, 2x oversampling, white noise source).

Another thing that I noticed is that a 0% wet signal is not the same as bypassing the plugin, there's also a high freq cut on the dry signal (at 4x oversampling this high cut is almost inexistent, but for 2x, 8x and 16x its noticeable).
Thanks for testing this, I'll see if I can get to the bottom of these issues. Could you share the white noise file you're using for testing? I have a couple white noise generators, but I just want to make sure I'm not running into any freaky bugs. This is pretty strange though, for example at 0%, the oversampling should be completely bypassed, so there should be no difference there. I'll be tracking these issues here.
Hey, I took a look at the report and it's not the same. I'll try and describe it...

The GUI opens and not all of it is showing, when I click on the dials they don't move, if I click around randomly I can move them, so it's not in proportion and the clicking is way off.

Before it worked perfectly tho.

This happens with the phaser as well.

If you want any more info let me know, i hope it can be fixed as this tape plugin is just great. Thanks for looking into it!

chowdsp wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 5:18 pm Hey folks, just posted an updated release fixing some of the GUI and phase cancellation issues noted above. Hope this helps!
Hi Jatin, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks for the update! It's much better now, the phase cancellation is minimum and the 0% wet now bypasses all processing as expected.

Here's what I see now with Chow Tape v2.3.4 (Green=input, Orange=output)
100% Wet, 4x oversampling. No problems here (the rolloff above 20kHz is the anti-alias filter I believe)

Then driving the Dry/Wet knob to 40%:
Slight phase cancellation at around 12kHz.

And here's the white noise file I used:
https://www113.zippyshare.com/v/sTcWDrPp/file.html

Something I noticed is that sometimes the plugin goes silent (no sound) but I'm not really sure how to reproduce it myself as it happened randomly and only a few times. Once I have more detailed information I will report back.

Thanks again!

Gabriel Garcia wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm Hi Jatin, I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. Thanks for the update! It's much better now, the phase cancellation is minimum and the 0% wet now bypasses all processing as expected.

Here's what I see now with Chow Tape v2.3.4 (Green=input, Orange=output)
100% Wet, 4x oversampling. No problems here (the rolloff above 20kHz is the anti-alias filter I believe)
Glad to hear that it's working better for you!The rolloff is actually mostly due to the frequency response of the hysteresis (since it's a stateful process it does have a little bit of a frequency response), though since it's highly nonlinear the frequency response will be a little bit different at different amplitudes.
Gabriel Garcia wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm Then driving the Dry/Wet knob to 40%:
Slight phase cancellation at around 12kHz.
I see what you're saying, thanks for the pictures, that's super helpful. Originally, I wasn't correcting for the latency caused by oversampling (which was causing the massive cancellation originally). In the first update I corrected for that, but didn't fully correct for the group delay of the hysteresis process. The newest version does correct for that group delay, but it's kind of a rough estimate. Again, since it's nonlinear the group delay might actually depend on the amplitude as well. For highly nonlinear systems like this doing these kinds of calculations can be a little bit tricky, espcially since there's some difference between the way that white noise excites the system, compared to more typical audio input. I'll keep working on this and keep you posted.
Gabriel Garcia wrote: Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:43 pm Something I noticed is that sometimes the plugin goes silent (no sound) but I'm not really sure how to reproduce it myself as it happened randomly and only a few times. Once I have more detailed information I will report back.
Hmm, this is strange. Which DAW are you using?
s28 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 9:31 am Hey, I took a look at the report and it's not the same. I'll try and describe it...

The GUI opens and not all of it is showing, when I click on the dials they don't move, if I click around randomly I can move them, so it's not in proportion and the clicking is way off.

Before it worked perfectly tho.

This happens with the phaser as well.

If you want any more info let me know, i hope it can be fixed as this tape plugin is just great. Thanks for looking into it!
Yeah, this is very strange. If you could share a screenshot or something like that, that could help to. Feel free to email may as well. Might need to do some live debugging or something, but hopefully it's a simpler fix.
El°HYM wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 8:31 pm Much love for this & All the Things you are doing for us! I also passed the Tape Emu to some of the Bigger Artists, I know. You are getting lots of Recognition in many different Spaces & Places!
Thanks so much! As always, love to hear any music y'all are using this plugin on!

So this is what it looks like when I load it up. To give you an idea, when I click on bias, it moves the saturation dial, very weird.

This is using the latest update, vst2. WIn8, Live10.1

Hope you can sort it :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rbn777 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:28 pm
s28 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:16 pm So this is what it looks like when I load it up. To give you an idea, when I click on bias, it moves the saturation dial, very weird.

This is using the latest update, vst2. WIn8, Live10.1

Hope you can sort it :tu:
Everything works just fine and I can't reproduce the behavior on my system - VST2, Win 10 (64x), Live 10.1.9 (so pretty similar except for Win 8...).

Just posting to hopefully help narrow out the reason why this is occurring

Nice thank you. Also the version i used before worker perfectly in this respect.

s28 wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:16 pm So this is what it looks like when I load it up. To give you an idea, when I click on bias, it moves the saturation dial, very weird.
Yeah that's odd... I'm guessing it's a Windows 8 thing. Since you're in Live 10 could you see if the same issue happens for VST3? I'll see if I can get a build for you to try in a day or two.

/* whitenoise */
Last edited by noiseresearch on Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
/* whitenoise */ /* abandon */ /* reincarnated */

Any chance of you bringing back the saturation that was in V1?? Apparently it's been changed to something less CPU intensive but some of us prefer how it sounded originally. The option to switch between V1 and V2 saturation would be ideal!

ElevateAudio wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:37 am Any chance of you bringing back the saturation that was in V1?? Apparently it's been changed to something less CPU intensive but some of us prefer how it sounded originally. The option to switch between V1 and V2 saturation would be ideal!
Has it?there's no mention of that in the update logs :?

I wasn't even aware there was a V2 till just now.need to check this badboy out again

Edit:quick 10mins play and i think you might be right,unless its calibrated differently from the first one.need to play with it a lot more till i come away with any solid conclusions or differences though
I

resistent wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm But I encounter some strange behaviour: The knobs are somewhat are lagging and too coarse. With ctrl it's okay (btw it would be cool if the control gets fine with the mouse wheel too while holding ctrl) but without it's hard to dial in proper values.
Thanks for reporting this! I'll take a look at it. In the meantime, if you could let me know what OS and DAW you're working in that would be most helpful :).
resistent wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 5:23 pm And one question: Where are the controls for drive, dirt, trash gone for the phaser? Are you getting closer to the original design? How many stages are used now? 4?
Ah, so I'm guessing you've tried v1.0 which doesn't have the dirt, trash, etc., controls. I've added these for v1.1 (hopefully coming in a day or two!), so I think you probably saw my screenshot of the new version. v1.0 used 8 modulation stages (similar to the Schulte), but the new version will allow you to choose how many stages you want, including "fractional" stages. I've also made a dedicated stereo version, and re-done a lot of the GUI (big, big thanks to @rbn777 for helping me with the design!). Anyway, I'm pretty excited about it, and I'll be sure to let you all know when it's ready! (Though if you'd like a sneak peak, of the next version, see here)
ElevateAudio wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 12:37 am Any chance of you bringing back the saturation that was in V1?? Apparently it's been changed to something less CPU intensive but some of us prefer how it sounded originally. The option to switch between V1 and V2 saturation would be ideal!
Yeah, I could definitely take a look at it... I did a pretty major overhaul of the code between v1 and v2, so it may not be particularly easy. I also seem to remember v1 having some stability issues. I think the biggest audible difference was that I was using a 4th-order Runge-Kutta ODE solver in v1, and I reduced that to a 2nd-order solver for v2. I've also been playing around more recently with using iterative solvers. So maybe in the next version I'll give the user options for both Runge-Kutta methods and a couple iterative choices? Just brainstorming here... In the meantime the original v1 can still be downloaded from the releases page.

chowdsp wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:20 pm
Yeah, I could definitely take a look at it... I did a pretty major overhaul of the code between v1 and v2, so it may not be particularly easy. I also seem to remember v1 having some stability issues. I think the biggest audible difference was that I was using a 4th-order Runge-Kutta ODE solver in v1, and I reduced that to a 2nd-order solver for v2. I've also been playing around more recently with using iterative solvers. So maybe in the next version I'll give the user options for both Runge-Kutta methods and a couple iterative choices? Just brainstorming here... In the meantime the original v1 can still be downloaded from the releases page.
That's great, Chow, thank you for all this! In case you aren't aware, there's a thread going on on Gearslutz as well about CHOW Tape (https://www.gearslutz.com/board/new-pro ... lugin.html), and several users asked the same thing (all while high praising it!) :)

Return to “Effects”