CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chowdsp wrote: Thu Feb 06, 2020 7:13 pm(I've done my best to remove the effects of the circuits in the tape machines from the measurements to get a fair comparison with the tape model itself).
A brief aside to the much larger and more interesting topic being discussed - just wanted to mention that the lack of "tape machine circuits" in this tape model is exactly why it's my current favourite for practical audio purposes. I just want the tape sound, and nothing else! Thanks for making this a possibility for me.

Another very interesting non-linearity is power supply sag. Could make an interesting article, what do you think Jatin?

I just can't even about HOW useful the non-linear and bad component plugins are! Missing pieces to my puzzle :) <3

:clap:
aka rktic. demoscener (Farbrausch, Holon, MFX, Still), sound designer, ux-dude, sth @AudioRealism, human synthesizer—not necessarily in that order.

Thanks guys :)

@StoneyBCN power supply effects is something I've been thinking about for a while, and would definitely be cool to model! I've gotta brush up on my understanding of power supply design in the analog world a little bit, but hopefully I can tackle that before too long.

Ol' Chris from Airwindows has this sort of thing if needed in the meantime: https://www.airwindows.com/powersag/

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"CHEW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury"
Now that would be authentic!

rbn777 wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:22 am Wanted to bump up this one, cause I think it might have slipped under the radar for a lot of people!

The tape and the suite of complex nonlinearities have become invaluable tools for sound design here. It's bloody amazing that they are free... :)

Also, I'm seeing a lot of interesting new developments on the GitHub and I hope mr. ChowDSP is still reading this thread - if you are, I REALLY hope you will post the compiled versions at some point in the future, I know you've got some build instructions up, but I am completely incapable when it comes to programming :oops:
^This!
:phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Had to update to Xcode 9 on Sierra to build this, but here's the latest commit for macOS.

I've attached the plugins as individual files due to the forums attachment size limit. The zipped standalone app is still too big to attach, but I assume the plugins are higher priority.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Image Image Image Image

Currently the component file crashes validation in Logic but can be used in Reaper. Reaper can also load the VST (haven't tried the VST3).

Crash report mentions the following:

Code: Select all

Exception Type:        EXC_ARITHMETIC (SIGFPE)
Exception Codes:       EXC_I386_DIV (divide by zero)
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal:    Floating point exception: 8
Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0x8
Terminating Process:   exc handler [1792]

I hadn't checked the AU as I use VST with Live but now I see that the previous official release also fails validation. It still loads fine in Garageband.

No issues with the VST3 in Cubase 9.5.
Image Image Image Image

Crashes AU Val here also, 10.14.6. But the Component works fine in Live 10 and in DP 10. Logic seems a bit finicky…

The VST3 likewise does just fine in Live 10.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Am I the only one to get a significant volume boost when engaging the Pre/Post EQ ?

VST3 / Live 10.1 / Mojave
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

The commit that added the EQ said it was the first attempt. I guess it still needs work.

I'm getting a large boost too (10dB+) and volume spikes when engaging it.
Image Image Image Image

Hi All,

Thanks for the bump! Glad folks are enjoying these plugins :).

The builds currently on GitHub for the Complex Nonlinearities, Bad Circuit Models, and the Tape Model, are the most up-to-date stable versions of those plugins. The pre/post EQ in particular is definitely still experimental, and I haven't finished working out the problems with it. I'm hoping to do a new update in the next couple weeks, with some tape degradation processing, and maybe a new GUI as well.

I'm not 100% sure what the issue is with Logic. I do a pretty serious plugin validation using the Tracktion's pluginval tool, so whatever the issue is it must be something pretty specific to Logic. Also strange that it works in Garageband, since I thought the Garageband validation process was even stricter than Logic... Not sure when I'll be able to test that since I don't have a Mac at home.

In the meantime, if there's any other plugins on my GitHub that y'all would like to try, let me know and I'll try to get some builds together! Also, if anyone's interested, I'll be doing a remote seminar on my Complex Nonlinearities project next week (it'll be a bit more on the technical side), feel free to tune in (https://ccrma.stanford.edu/events/compl ... processing).

Thanks,
Jatin

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”