CHOW Tape Model by Jatin Chowdhury

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thank you ! Really looking forward to giving that new version a try.
Computer musician / Ableton Certified Trainer / Mastering engineer
.com
3OP

You can try it now. The new versions are in the mac zip. Just buried.

Lets say you want the VST3. Extract the zip and navigate to /Users/travis/build/jatinchowdhury18/AnalogTapeModel/Plugin/Bin/Mac. Right click on CHOWTapeModel.vst3 and choose show package contents. Inside you'll find another vst3. Copy that one to your VST3 folder. Repeat for the other formats.
Image Image Image Image

Hi Jatin, just checking out v2 and this has come on really nicely, thank you for it.

Any chance you could add a no oversampling/ 1x mode so I can run it really low cpu whilst making things then change them if I wish to when bouncing? Perhaps an overall dry wet if that would work.... would be great to be able to blend between really extreme settings on seperate channels.

edit: is the chew parameter working correctly if the audio is chopping in and out, would be really nice to smooth out that fade in and out as it would be nice for random dropouts here and there without clicks.

really impressed by this, so nice to use and sounds great.

Hi All,

Thanks for the continued interest. I've been fighting with the Logic Pro issue, and have even enlisted the support of some helpful friends, but still don't have a consistent fix (it seems to pass validation on some versions of Logic but not others). If anyone's curious, the very latest builds at any point in time can always be found here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... Plugin/Bin. Since I'm working on them regularly there are no guarantees about stability and such.

That said, I've figured out that it is possible to still use the plugin in Logic after it fails validation, by checking the "Use" box next to the plugin in the Logic plugin manager. After testing from there, I found no issues... so I'm still not sure why it's failing validation, but I'll keep investigating.

@s28 thanks for the good ideas. Improving the "chew" algorithm in general is a priority for me going forward, and the smoother fades is definitely a big part of that. Global dry/wet and 1x mode would be pretty nice too. Just a head's up, I'll be tracking new feature requests on the GitHub page, to make sure that I don't forget about them, so feel free to take a look (or add more) here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... del/issues

Unfortunately I've not found the 'Use' checkbox to be able to bring crashed plugins back to life. On the other hand, this AU build is able to be opened in DDMF Metaplugin, which I was not able to get happening before.

onerob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 pm Unfortunately I've not found the 'Use' checkbox to be able to bring crashed plugins back to life.
The "use" box I used is in the farthest left column as shown in this image: https://i0.wp.com/9to5mac.com/wp-conten ... =all&ssl=1. Maybe it doesn't exist in all versions of Logic? (I was using 10.4.8).
s28 wrote: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:34 pm Any chance you could add a no oversampling/ 1x mode so I can run it really low cpu whilst making things then change them if I wish to when bouncing?
Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this will be possible. I'm using a technique called the bilinear transform for discretizing the tape nonlinearity, which is known to exhibit oscillations at the Nyquist frequency (for nonlinear systems) when not oversampled. I've been toying with using some different discretization schemes (backwards Euler or alpha transform) so depending on how those experiments go, it might be possible in the future! That said, one of the larger CPU drains at the moment is the loss filters, so I'll see if I can slim that down a little bit.

chowdsp wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:54 am
onerob wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 5:54 pm Unfortunately I've not found the 'Use' checkbox to be able to bring crashed plugins back to life.
The "use" box I used is in the farthest left column as shown in this image: https://i0.wp.com/9to5mac.com/wp-conten ... =all&ssl=1. Maybe it doesn't exist in all versions of Logic? (I was using 10.4.8).
Yeah, it's there in the latest version of Logic (you mean on the right, not left, I take it?), but it won't force it into working for me.

Hi all,

Some updates to the Chew algorithm. Still a little bit WIP, but WIndows users can give them a test drive here: https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... Plugin/Bin. Let me know how it sounds for you all!

Still chipping away at the Mac issues, and trying get CPU usage down :).

Thanks as always!

Way better Jatin, still not so usable at higher settings but I can hear it's coming on nicely.

Dry wet is a great addition, thank you for listening. Can get some really weird flanging effects messing with the flutter and spacing/gap settings. Very nice!

Big thank you.

Here's the mac builds of the latest commit.

I've put them in a single zip on an external filehost instead of attaching them individually.
Image Image Image Image

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hi folks,

Thanks as always for the feedback, and for those of you who have been uploading builds :). I just finished a new release with some smaller changes. This includes the updated Chew algorithm some of you have been testing, with a couple minor tweaks, as well as some efficiency improvements that make a pretty big difference on my machine. From the few Macs I've been able to test on, some of them seem to work fine, others are still failing validation; still doing some testing here. Feel free to download the latest on GitHub! https://github.com/jatinchowdhury18/Ana ... es/tag/2.2

rbn777 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 am It'd be handy if there was a control to make the frequency modulate itself somehow (randomized length/timing of the chewed gaps), but I can easily do that with an LFO in Ableton.
This could get a little tricky, since processor is already somewhat randomized internally. I can experiment with attaching an oscillator as well, though I feel like using automation, etc. in your DAW would give more flexibility anyway...
rbn777 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:30 am A tiny QoL request though if you wouldn't mind and if it's not too difficult to implement - would be nice if ctrl+scrollwheel could adjust the values by a tiny amount, like 0.01
I kow that ctrl+drag gives fine-tuned slider adjustments, and I believe the scrollwheel (without a modifier key) can move the slider as well (I actually don't own a mouse, so it's hard to test). If that's the case, I'm surprised that ctrl+scroll doesn't give fine-tuned changes. That would actually be a bug in JUCE, the plugin framework that I use. I can make a change request to them, but again, it's a little tricky to test without a mouse. I'll let you know any updates on this front.

Hi, I just wanted to jump in to say firstly that this is the most authentic-sounding (IMHO) tape emulator I've tried, so thanks so much for making it available! This new build is causing a large volume spike for me (Reaper64, running on Linux/Wine 5.0) when starting playing, also at the start of a rendered track. Please let me know if there's any more information I can provide to help in trouble-shooting.

Last edited by rbn777 on Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”