Again: Compressor Talk (looking for a character compressor mainly for drumbus)

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Yes I'm looking for a compressor with a lot of character. I dont want something clean and unobtrusively I want mayhem, sound shaping, coloring, re-movement of the dynamics, tape-ish compression, noise, hate :hihi: I would like to use it mainly on busses but it would be nice to use it on tracks as well.

It should be vst for win 64-bit only. Free or paid is not important but please nothing with ilok or similar copy protection.

Thanks to all who parcitipated on this.

Just for the records the comps I have...
Ableton Compressor (in heavy use on tracks)
The Glue - native and live version - (in heavy use on bus)
Kotelnikov (in heavy use on bus)
DC1A (occasional use on tracks and bus - somehow it's too limited)
Molot (occasional use on tracks and bus - somehow it doesnt work on every material)
rabbit in a hole

Autobot wrote: Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:46 pm I want mayhem, sound shaping, coloring, re-movement of the dynamics, tape-ish compression, noise, hate
put Brainworx ENGL emulation on your master bus :D
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

DMG Trackcomp 2 - especially the Zener Limiter
Brainworx Opto Pedal
Audio Damage Rough Rider 2
Klanghelm MJUC & MJUC Jr

seriously though, MJUC, Kush/Sly-Fi compressors (UBK-1 - this is mayhem personified!, Novatron, AR-1, Deflector), also check out brainworx Opticom, probably Fuse Audio stuff as well.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

GRIP – Valve Drive Compressor by CFA-Sound is pretty nifty.
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Trackcomp or Pulsar's Mu

https://www.kvraudio.com/product/signal ... nder-spike might be worth a try also, bonus it's free

VoS Density mkIII or Thrillseeker VBL
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

ACME Opticom XLA 3. Wicked beast.

Any compressor followed by Voxengo Tube Amp or Klevgrand FreeAmp might give you what you want (compression + character).

Then there is of course the commercial version of Klanghelm Mjuc with three different Vari Mu emulations. Heard good things about the Pulsar Mu too. You might also try the Fuse Audio Labs compressors, even though they don't seem to have internal and external sidechain option (correct me if I'm wrong please).

Trackcomp 2 or Arouser.

Airwindows Vari-mu, it's got so much grit and groove going on, push it for distortion... favourite compressor for drums.

sknote Stereo dual compressor
Based on the Shady Hills bus comp.
It has alot of vibe.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

NI supercharger XT might be worth a look. Although, as others mentioned, trackcomp2 is probably the best bang for the bucks and can do all kinds of smashing and distorting.

My go-tos are Kush UBK1 and Boz +10dB. also look at Goodhertz Vulf and Faraday

bought arouser but never got on with it (should sell it) :( but i am loving kush AR-1 on my drum bus right behind the soundtoys decap :)
"There is no strength in numbers... have no such misconception... but when you need me be assured I won't be far away."

Return to “Effects”