[Intro pricing extended] Available now: T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb

acousticglue wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:00 am Hey dummies, you don't have to buy it!
No...but who are the real dummies here ?

The people who don't buy the smoke and mirrors BS or the people who buy the palava and the plugins ? :wink:
Last edited by digitalboytn on Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
No auto tune...

digitalboytn wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:43 am I think that it's funny that when you give some people a fancy GUI and a few impulses that suddenly they feel that they have been transported to some magical and hallowed recording space...

It's quite interesting that through a combination of sight,sound and some fancy copy (aka smoke and mirrors) that they can convince themselves that they are really there :)

I agree with Izak that there is a bit of BS going down here,but IK are not the only ones dispensing their special pills and potions to the addicts who are desperate for their next fix :party:
Yes, it's funny for sure :)

They might as well bundle the plug with stupid custumes and masks to wear, making you look like some ancient dusted producer in person

But on a sad note: how comes this need to suck identity from others, instead of growing own balls, and own style ?
HM

HM wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am But on a sad note: how comes this need to suck identity from others, instead of growing own balls, and own style ?
Cover bands are in competition for gigs. Work, not sadness.
Members of bands doing original works come from the legacy
of all they heard growing up, melded with whatever new twists, takes,
acquired skills and performance innovations they come up with.
Technology and rust never sleep, and options are multiplying
at a rapid pace.

In this wonderful season in which to play and create music,
nobody knows it all, nobody has heard it all, and nobody has all the gear.
Which means everyone has discoveries in their future, some of which is
discovering and implementing historic instruments, effects, and locations.
Some of which is creating new instruments and effects, played in new locations.

The 'name-dropping' may be more helpful to professionals than hobbyists.
None of the artists mentioned are of interest to me. But my neighbor, who
has a band, a cdbaby account, and gives lessons, would probably have
recently played songs from the names dropped, and as many are,
be on the lookout for every advantage. The prices for music software
are so generally low, for the capabilities offered, it seems counter-productive
to haggle price. The free market competition
already does a good job of that, itself.
Cheers

Thanks @digitalboytn for being one of the voices of reason in this thread. I almost lost hope for humanity after reading some of the irrational and delusional fanboy comments!

I'm not buying it unless it comes with one of Phil Spector's wigs.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

And one of Phil's guns :)
No auto tune...

IK's installation procedure (ie downloading everything) always attracts anger and vitriol, in the same way that Wave's WUP does, or any mention of iLok. Oh well, it is what it is.

I have a lot of time for IK's plugins, but I have huge respect for Peter who, as the public face of IK, has to take the flack for everything that people don't like about IK. I mean, it's not like Peter owns IK, or writes the software, or decides the price-points, or architects Custom Shop, or is in anyway responsible for the things people don't like. I used to work in customer support many years ago, and ultimately, you have to take the shit and rants from angry customers because you're the point-man for the company in the customer's eyes. Doesn't make it right though.

I'm sure this Sunset Sound plugin sounds incredible. I don't give a hoot whether it's a dozen IRs or a bajillion lines of code, if it sounds good, it sounds good. However, this is a price-point that I cannot justify, so I'll not be buying it for that reason, and that reason alone.
A bit fried in the higher freqs

cprompt wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm ...
I have a lot of time for IK's plugins, but I have huge respect for Peter who, as the public face of IK, has to take the flack for everything that people don't like about IK. I mean, it's not like Peter owns IK, or writes the software...
I have no personal issue with "Peter" (no clue whether this is a pseudonym or the name of a real person here). We are examining a product here and "Peter" represents the company that wants to sell the product, so obviously he is the interface through which we interact and communicate our critical examination results.

If IKM CEO wants to chime in and is willing to confront the critique, I would highly welcome that. The fact remains and it's probably redundant to repeat, but this reverb at it's core are TWELVE sampled impulse responses, nothing more!

No idea how any reasonable company would charge 150 or even 250 bucks for such. I wouldn't even pay that amount if they handed out a recording kit to astronauts to sample some impulse responses from the exterior of a Space Station!!

Even than the price would not be justified. But those are just 12 redundant impulses of some rooms: 4 times the same category of acoustic environment in three different variations each (Studio 1 - 3), so in essence you only get 4 types of acoustics here.

I would pay 20 bucks for this product, but only if they don't force me to use their malware 1,5 gigabyte authorization manager and allow me to directly install and authorize the product without additional hassle, time consumption and bandwith involved!

There's no sound in space. Just smells like burnt meat or something like that.

It comes down to this, and it is something I am aware of in my own music making. If you learn the tools of your DAW, and make the best music you can, things like this are not really going to add a lot of faerie dust. Conversely, if you can't compose good music, this will just likely make a turd a bit more easy to polish.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:37 pm There's no sound in space. Just smells like burnt meat or something like that.

It comes down to this, and it is something I am aware of in my own music making. If you learn the tools of your DAW, and make the best music you can, things like this are not really going to add a lot of faerie dust. Conversely, if you can't compose good music, this will just likely make a turd a bit more easy to polish.
Movies would have us believe it is more like being frozen but I'll bet burnt meat is more accurate.

Of course there's not true "faerie dust" and the music is the most important part. But people do want their music to sound great and that's the reason they book time in studios like Sunset Sound and other great studios and if that's something that one desires, we're delivering that in virtual form for those interested. Yes, Ross does feel that it is a "spiritual" place to him, which is really likely a combination of the great music being made in that space and the way it sounds in that space. To keep the space references coming, nothing - including great art - exists in a vacuum.

cprompt wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm IK's installation procedure (ie downloading everything) always attracts anger and vitriol, in the same way that Wave's WUP does, or any mention of iLok. Oh well, it is what it is.

I have a lot of time for IK's plugins, but I have huge respect for Peter who, as the public face of IK, has to take the flack for everything that people don't like about IK. I mean, it's not like Peter owns IK, or writes the software, or decides the price-points, or architects Custom Shop, or is in anyway responsible for the things people don't like. I used to work in customer support many years ago, and ultimately, you have to take the shit and rants from angry customers because you're the point-man for the company in the customer's eyes. Doesn't make it right though.

I'm sure this Sunset Sound plugin sounds incredible. I don't give a hoot whether it's a dozen IRs or a bajillion lines of code, if it sounds good, it sounds good. However, this is a price-point that I cannot justify, so I'll not be buying it for that reason, and that reason alone.
With regard to the first two paragraphs, as you've said - It is what it is. I pass feedback along (both positive and negative) on the product features and how the information I'm relaying is being received.

Thank you for your feedback about the pricing and confidence in the sound of T-RackS Sunset Sound Studio Reverb in the last paragraph. There are always analyses done within the market, but also good to know what lands with folks out here in the trenches too.

Izak Synthiemental wrote: Wed Jan 29, 2020 9:59 pm ... I did not miss anything...
How about the part you don't need to buy it? :dog: You made your point. Please move on and use your lower priced IRs. :x
cprompt wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:04 pm I don't give a hoot whether it's a dozen IRs or a bajillion lines of code, if it sounds good, it sounds good.
Exactly. :tu:
I'm interested in hearing more demos on instruments. One of my favorite tests is ambient room on a funky staccato clavinet. Looking forward to try before you buy demo, a great IKMM feature.

I think if IK had done something like VSL's MIR where they take a lot of IRs from different positions around the rooms and chambers - or at least the larger spaces – it would be a more justifiable purchase. Altiverb is a lot more expensive but you get a lot more readymade spaces (though with a small number of positions). Something that makes it possible to place virtual mics within a space and so get different ERs for each instrument/mic or do tricks like the Tony Visconti reverb effects from Heroes would get away from the issue that it is, basically, just a few IRs packaged up. And it would, as with MIR, make sense to do a lot of work on a very small selection of spaces.

Looking at the product shots and literature, it doesn't look as though this has happened.

Gamma-UT wrote: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:03 pm I think if IK had done something like VSL's MIR where they take a lot of IRs from different positions around the rooms and chambers - or at least the larger spaces – it would be a more justifiable purchase. Altiverb is a lot more expensive but you get a lot more readymade spaces (though with a small number of positions). Something that makes it possible to place virtual mics within a space and so get different ERs for each instrument/mic or do tricks like the Tony Visconti reverb effects from Heroes would get away from the issue that it is, basically, just a few IRs packaged up. And it would, as with MIR, make sense to do a lot of work on a very small selection of spaces.

Looking at the product shots and literature, it doesn't look as though this has happened.
+1. I have one of the VSL MIRs, and I wish I could port it over to non-VSL stuff.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I personally use the classic reverbs from IKM a lot as they are good and have no need for anything else mostly. I have too many reverbs and delays. Doesn't matter they will still make them like everything else

Return to “Effects”