New: Brainworx bx_console SSL 9000 J

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am Next from PA: a power cable emulator modelling various types of audiophile cables.
^Next PA - Plug that I will Mos Def purchase! :phones:
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

Mushy Mushy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:06 am Next from PA: a power cable emulator modelling various types of audiophile cables.
Very likely so, in the usual lack of substance,...
HM

Mixed a lot of music at AIR studios London on their Neve and SSL desks back in the day. All kinds of different desks from LA, Nashville, New York, Hamburg, Berlin to Paris. Owned a studio in Hamburg.
Never was a big fan of SSL as I found the eq’s cold in comparison to the Neve’s.... But hey! Almost every studio I worked in had one, so you got used to the sound and most engineers loved them. Michael Brauers comments on the PA video are quite telling.
One of my absolute favorite desks was the D&R Dayner. Really not very well made and pretty cheap for its size - 64 channels - but it had an amazing sound, really warm and organic reminiscent of a Neve. After that bought into the hype and got the closest I could to an affordable SSL like desk from the company Raindirk. Still very expensive but in hindsight wished I had stayed with the D&R. The worst specs and sub quality components but my ears really liked the sound. Now it’s all in the box and it’s the same thing, for my taste the Lindell from PA is the sound I find the most appealing whereas the J series has exactly the eq sound I find less appealing, just a little too brittle/cold. Does that make it worse? No! Just different - and its anyway subjective, I don't care about aliasing because it’s what I hear that's important. And sometimes that particular sound with all it's quirks is what feels right - I will probably use the J depending on what’s being mixed. And that’s the really cool thing about technology now, we can have the sound of a Neve, SSL or whatever.... all at arms length.
Yeah!

Or maybe it's time for HANDWIRED versions of plugins. :lol:

Point-to-point wiring ofcourse - circuitboards removed from all plugins and replaced with the finest WW2-era military grade components.

kelvyn wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 am And that’s the really cool thing about technology now, we can have the sound of a Neve, SSL or whatever.... all at arms length.
Yeah!
Yeah, while we MIGHT have that, the argument here is that PA isn’t IT.
The fact that PA’s 9000J, 4000G/E and Neve all have identical THD algorithm speaks volumes.
The argument is also that TMT is a caricature of how a real desk behaves and that a desk like TMT would likely need service...

Also if you’re old, your HF rolloff is probably worse than it was, and aliasing manifests mostly at higher frequencies (unless its absolutely terrible).
Its okay that you don’t care about aliasing. A lot of more renowned software vendors than PA do, and so do a lot of renowned engineers.
Aliasing accumulates and is probably one of the harshest things you’ll get from a digital processor.

Besides... it’s 2020, and majority of decent devs treat antialiasing as basic plugin hygene...

I actually dont know that much about their SSL emulations, yet can recommend the old Lindell - series... with that said; how does the SSL's compare to the newer Lindell 80 - channel - strip?
The art of knowing is knowing what to ignore.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=450984&start=15#p6304019

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 am
:hihi: :hihi: :hihi:
Great minds.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

MogwaiBoy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:17 am Or maybe it's time for HANDWIRED versions of plugins. :lol:

Point-to-point wiring ofcourse - circuitboards removed from all plugins and replaced with the finest WW2-era military grade components.
Maybe a drop-down menu offering
  • point-to-point
  • through-hole PCB
  • SMD
  • Suspiciously similar Behringer product
  • Amateur PCB layout + goop + IC numbers filed off
Then come the producer walkthroughs, praising the particular hum characteristics of auto-routed PCBs and demonstrating the benefits of this modelling (+ EQ + 12dB) compared to dry recordings.

Googly Smythe wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:50 am
:lol: That is one of the greatest posts I have ever read on this forum. If he/she isn't an executive in the marketing world his/her gift to humankind is wasted.

sqigls wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:30 pm i could hear the difference and picked Pro-Q in every single example in that video...
Burillo wrote: Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:20 pm i can hear the difference actually. and i don't consider myself having particularly good ears. i picked out Pro-Q every time.
Bouroki wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:03 amYes same here and it's not even that subtle... so I was surprised when Dan said there isn't much of a difference. I mean you're boosting top end at the end of the day, so it is bound to sound "similar" in the sense that of course it's not as if one of them is going to sound low-passed :dog: but the difference is there.
Please consider as well that Dan used a boost of 12 db in his example which is of course no real life scenario...
I doubt that any of you would ever stand a blindtest with "normal values" of perhaps 3db of boosting...

Second... try to do not an A/B ... if you just hear one version of a drumloop... stop the sequencer, do a break and then here the other one... do you here then difference then???
Or make an A/B test with a cramping EQ on one drumloop and a different drumloop for the not cramping EQ...
It´s easier to spot a difference between 2 same versions (just with different plugins) but that´s not how people listen to music...
Nobody would really sit there hearing a song i.e. equed with reaEQ and think: Wow... this EQ is really cramping a lot???

So I stand with that... there is a theoretical problem but absolutely nothing to care about...

kelvyn wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 am I don't care about aliasing because it’s what I hear that's important.
Well you're certainly with the right company then.
Dirk's going to make all customers sign an affidavit stating the above.

Trancit wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 pm Nobody would really sit there hearing a song i.e. equed with reaEQ and think: Wow... this EQ is really cramping a lot???

So I stand with that... there is a theoretical problem but absolutely nothing to care about...
No of course they won't say or care that a cramping EQ was used. They might just get the impression of harsh and fatiguing highs. As an engineer if you know you could've done better to make their listening experience more enjoyable at literally ZERO cost/effort from your side, then how would you be proud of your work? De-cramped EQs are a dime a dozen these days and you can have them at no additional CPU or latency cost.

As for 12db of high boost not being realistic, well, a certain CLA would beg to differ :hihi:
Trancit wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:18 pm Second... try to do not an A/B ... if you just hear one version of a drumloop... stop the sequencer, do a break and then here the other one... do you here then difference then???
Or make an A/B test with a cramping EQ on one drumloop and a different drumloop for the not cramping EQ...
It´s easier to spot a difference between 2 same versions (just with different plugins) but that´s not how people listen to music...
That's not the point. At any given time you have one song to mix and make sound as good as it can. It's a question of which kind of high boost is more likely to make this one song as good as it can?

If anyone is not sure regarding the different SSL consoles, this is a good website to get a general sense of character for each one. They list popular albums and what consoles they were mixed on.

http://sslmixed.com
You are currently reading my signature.

Ploki wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:02 am
kelvyn wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:15 am And that’s the really cool thing about technology now, we can have the sound of a Neve, SSL or whatever.... all at arms length.
Yeah!
Yeah, while we MIGHT have that, the argument here is that PA isn’t IT.
The fact that PA’s 9000J, 4000G/E and Neve all have identical THD algorithm speaks volumes.
The argument is also that TMT is a caricature of how a real desk behaves and that a desk like TMT would likely need service...

Also if you’re old, your HF rolloff is probably worse than it was, and aliasing manifests mostly at higher frequencies (unless its absolutely terrible).
Its okay that you don’t care about aliasing. A lot of more renowned software vendors than PA do, and so do a lot of renowned engineers.
Aliasing accumulates and is probably one of the harshest things you’ll get from a digital processor.

Besides... it’s 2020, and majority of decent devs treat antialiasing as basic plugin hygene...
That's an interesting claim. It could be true. Have you ran their plugins side by side and compared??

What I personally thought was happening is in their studies of the equipment they would have been noticing the differences in tolerances between each component or strip. Because you have the measurements you can easily pick the outliers then just have the algorithm randomly choose a tolerance between them.

Sounds logical, it makes sense and if you did something like use the channel number as the "seed" number, you can be assured that it's the same every time you select a particular channel. But because the measurements are different from one analogue device to another their channel components and outliers would all be unique to that product.

In this sense using the same algorithm doesn't mean it sounds the same. In actual fact its quite the opposite. It's a guarantee that it would all sound different. Providing they've done something similar to this.

Return to “Effects”