New: Brainworx bx_console SSL 9000 J

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

ramseysounds wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:25 am So you tested each and every 72 channels on both plug-ins and compared against each other?
We get it it; you don't care for PA. Move on
I clicked random 30 times, THD is a simple soft clipper - i don't remember console i worked on acting like a soft clipper.
It was a 9000 J lol. :hihi:

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 am Anyone like how it sounds?
PA group on FB is the best source of such information! Apparently it's a new revelation. Now emulations of E/G are crap and are not revelation anymore and everyone is redoing all mixes replacing crappy E/G emulations with J because J sounds so clean that it almost can be mistaken with your basic stock EQ in DAW. Simple perfection. It also has Teenage Mutant Turtles technology which makes it even better than perfect :party:
It's so good that people are removing all other plugins, flangers, phasers, saturators, reverbs because BX SSL J can do all of that but better.

LMAO

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm I clicked random 30 times, THD is a simple soft clipper - i don't remember console i worked on acting like a soft clipper.
With all due respect it's not! Show me soft clipper which can shift phase and panorama like that? I beg you to do it ( I would like to have such saturator).

I get it that THD is saturation "only" but whole TMT is not only saturation. Sorry if i am mistaken and does not understand you properly. I am under impression you are saying that whole TMT is just a soft clipper. Again i apologize if i misunderstood you.

Simply put any Bassdrum sample, put SSL 9000 behind it. Select some preset (audio is not important for test). Place vectorscope behind it and look what it does to audio. Hitting RANDOM each time get you different audio result within the reach of channel count obviously.

You can even hear it in busy mixes it can shift stereo a lot. Sometimes it even destroy it, mixes can fall apart. It's a feature and it's optional. Everything for everyone.

Ploki wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:54 pm
it really doesn't. It randomizes phase/freq response a little and parameters, which in a big picture is nice, but it's nothing magical.
Ah i see your older post now. I get it i misunderstood you. I agree nothing magical - but no other plugin does it in such nice subtle way. Little bit for everyone can't harm. Like you said it's nothing magical but sometimes it can yield "that" bit.

Btw i dig compressor on this one. Quite punchy.

pixel85 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:43 pm
el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:32 am Anyone like how it sounds?
PA group on FB is the best source of such information! Apparently it's a new revelation. Now emulations of E/G are crap and are not revelation anymore and everyone is redoing all mixes replacing crappy E/G emulations with J because J sounds so clean that it almost can be mistaken with your basic stock EQ in DAW. Simple perfection. It also has Teenage Mutant Turtles technology which makes it even better than perfect :party:
It's so good that people are removing all other plugins, flangers, phasers, saturators, reverbs because BX SSL J can do all of that but better.
You've clearly been using the lockdown to improve your comedic skill, so well done for that :clap: :clap:

:scared:
Last edited by el-bo (formerly ebow) on Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kmonkey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 pm
With all due respect it's not! Show me soft clipper which can shift phase and panorama like that? I beg you to do it ( I would like to have such saturator).

I get it that THD is saturation "only" but whole TMT is not only saturation. Sorry if i am mistaken and does not understand you properly. I am under impression you are saying that whole TMT is just a soft clipper. Again i apologize if i misunderstood you.

Simply put any Bassdrum sample, put SSL 9000 behind it. Select some preset (audio is not important for test). Place vectorscope behind it and look what it does to audio. Hitting RANDOM each time get you different audio result within the reach of channel count obviously.

You can even hear it in busy mixes it can shift stereo a lot. Sometimes it even destroy it, mixes can fall apart. It's a feature and it's optional. Everything for everyone.
TMT by itself doesn't do any saturation.
THD knob, tied to the EQ (it only works if EQ is on) does saturation, and its just a soft clipper.

As far as what TMT does, it's a good question. In my opinion it adds some random variation to the parameter settings (i.e. -/-0.xdB for gain, +/= xx Hz for frequency, so forth) and it shifts phase with something. My guess for what i observed is a very very soft hipass filter (2Hz 6dB/octave, then its varied a little on each TMT instance).
I'd like to say that it's meticulously modelled after each channel, but PA doesn't strike me as the most pedantic dev out there.
I'm not saying that it's not a neat idea tho - adding little variances between strips, it doesn't really matter whether they're random or modelled - it would make absolutely no difference.

Frankly, TMT stripped of its marketing bullshit isn't a bad thing. I'd gladly have a slight "randomizer" that i could turn on/off on my normal plugins.
I'm just saying its neither magic nor meticulous modelling

edit:
oh i see you saw my other post :)
Last edited by Ploki on Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I don´t like the aggressive marketing of PA at all and all the weird stuff going on in Dirks head but one thing is for sure. Most of their plugins are top notch and I wouldn´t be surprised if the bx SSL 9000 J sounded great too.

"Frankly, TMT stripped of its marketing bullshit isn't a bad thing." - Ploki 2020

:tu:

RafaelMorgan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm I'll never trust Brainworx again after their bx_refinement plugin.
Is there something wrong with it? Asking for a friend.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Ploki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:33 pm I clicked random 30 times, THD is a simple soft clipper - i don't remember console i worked on acting like a soft clipper.

TDR SlickEQ GE. They measured various real channels from an SSL console.

TDR SlickEQ GE. They measured various real channels from an SSL console. They won't ask you for $399 or a Mega sub.

Aloysius wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:51 pm
RafaelMorgan wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:32 pm I'll never trust Brainworx again after their bx_refinement plugin.
Is there something wrong with it? Asking for a friend.
iirc it's just a peak EQ which removes frequencies at around 3 khz. You can modulate the EQ either with an LFO or an envelope follower. Nothing wrong with that of course. But it has a lot of marketing bs around it and ofc shiny tubes on the GUI.

Dip200 wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:23 pm
iirc it's just a peak EQ which removes frequencies at around 3 khz. You can modulate the EQ either with an LFO or an envelope follower. Nothing wrong with that of course. But it has a lot of marketing bs around it and ofc shiny tubes on the GUI.
copy of it made it into bx_master desk. Except it has an additional 6666 Hz setting, next to the original 3150Hz. Except it's called a "resonance filter" there.

Bouroki wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 1:54 pm
kmonkey wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:49 pm With all due respect it's not! Show me soft clipper which can shift phase and panorama like that? I beg you to do it ( I would like to have such saturator).
TDR SlickEQ GE. They measured various real channels from an SSL console. They won't ask you for $399 or a Mega sub.
also SDRR, by klanghelm. they did NOT do any measurements, they just have a feature called 'drift,' which can be set between 0% and 100%, which leads to the various settings 'coming loose' fractionally and becomingly slightly varied from each other. (edit: in case it wasn't clear, it's different between the left/right channels)

(SlickEQ GE is AMAZING btw.)
Last edited by sleepcircle on Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Effects”