PA AMEK EQ 200 Mastering Equalizer

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

accurate

So.. anybody tried it yet? Being PA and these kinds of prices, it's a 100% no-go for me but I'm still interested if they made their analogue modeling better. Since Ray and Andre (the BRA guys) left PA and hasn't done any modeling I've felt the quality has gotten a lot worse. Some of their new plugins have bizarre technical problems with aliasing and truncation noise.

Have they improved? Is it 399$ worth of improvement? :)

I'll test the demo next time in the studio but at the moment that can take a while..
"Wisdom is wisdom, regardless of the idiot who said it." -an idiot

bmanic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:07 pm So.. anybody tried it yet? Being PA and these kinds of prices, it's a 100% no-go for me but I'm still interested if they made their analogue modeling better. Since Ray and Andre (the BRA guys) left PA and hasn't done any modeling I've felt the quality has gotten a lot worse. Some of their new plugins have bizarre technical problems with aliasing and truncation noise.

I'll test the demo next time in the studio but at the moment that can take a while..
V-gain is still just noise, THD is some wierd-ass waveshaper (looks super weird and sounds shit when pushed hard).
it doesn't alias tho. 32 samples of latency indicate the same oversampling/antialiasing that was already in alpha comp, and it coincides with 32 samples with BRA/FAL antialiasing latency :P
i don't have the hardware to push it against it, but it doesn't sound anything special to me.
+/- 2.5dB and +/-50Hz channel-to-channel TMT seems way too excessive to me.

pixel85 wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:28 pm He commented that it's subscription only and then a few hours later he revealed that it was a mistake/ an error.
Error. I'm sure. :wink:
Seems to be Dirks MO. Just like the way he backpedaled on GS when everyone berated him over the initial stages of his sub.

Seem like this new plugin in the next Elton John of KVR. :lol:
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

If I was going to spend that type of cash on an EQ, I'd go for Sotube's Weiss EQ1. I tried the demo and it's very cool.
I will take the Lord's name in vain, whenever I want. Hail Satan! And his little goblins too. :lol:

dionenoid wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 2:46 pm A mastering eq with TMT. Yeah right. :lol:
It's so the astute music listener can recognize that the subtle, almost indescernible 2k bump on track 1 is almost perceptibly different from the almost indescernible 2k bump on track 3.

For those of you concerned about price, it's only priced that way to highlight the advantage of the subscription model.
Why pay the absurd price of $300 for an EQ when you can pay for it forever and never own it?

You...shall not...pass!

Seems nice, and congrats to PA on the new release! But, considering the price point, the Softube and/or DMG alternatives are hard to beat. Been quite a long time with PA, but not a fan of the subs nor going to get into any of them. Hope they'll keep the occasional offers. Interested in reading how this compares to the HW it's inspired by.
Last edited by InkSFX on Tue May 19, 2020 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Add some analog aliasing to your master - get that warmth of atonal foldback at -50db now.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 pm Add some analog aliasing to your master - get that warmth of atonal foldback at -50db now.
this one actually doesn't alias.

i still think a mastering EQ that has 50Hz and 2.5dB tolerance between L/R would be considered faulty.... but hey, if Dirk says it's a game changer, who am i to argue

bmanic wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 3:07 pm So.. anybody tried it yet? Being PA and these kinds of prices, it's a 100% no-go for me but I'm still interested if they made their analogue modeling better. Since Ray and Andre (the BRA guys) left PA and hasn't done any modeling I've felt the quality has gotten a lot worse. Some of their new plugins have bizarre technical problems with aliasing and truncation noise.

I have, it's very meh, $400 and VAT is very humorous...

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 8:58 pm Add some analog aliasing to your master - get that warmth of atonal foldback at -50db now.
We really need a plugin that properly emulates that warm analog aliasing because plugins are not there yet. It would be a game changer

Ploki wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:06 pm
this one actually doesn't alias.

i still think a mastering EQ that has 50Hz and 2.5dB tolerance between L/R would be considered faulty.... but hey, if Dirk says it's a game changer, who am i to argue
"TMT" is a bit of a joke. Besides, they don't model the tolerance shift as the components in the desk warm up ;D

Could you imagine that... leaving a plugin in standby for 1 minute before using it, to let the tubes warm up :lol:

PS I recently got Phil's Cascade and it sounds wonderful. Probably Ray's input.

MogwaiBoy wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:27 pm
"TMT" is a bit of a joke. Besides, they don't model the tolerance shift as the components in the desk warm up ;D

Could you imagine that... leaving a plugin in standby for 1 minute before using it, to let the tubes warm up :lol:

PS I recently got Phil's Cascade and it sounds wonderful. Probably Ray's input.
I replaced Phil's Cascade with VPRE-73.
You bet your ass it's Ray's plugin. :D

The only other decent developer who does the analog modelling at PA is whoever is behind LSR Audio.their 80 series wasn't too bad .it has the TMT crap but you can bypass most of it.the THD doesn't seem to be just a hard clipper either and is incredibly non-linear and program dependent

This though is literally just a hard clipper.it doesn't alias from the tiny amount of time i spent with it,but it seems to be just a hard clipper with its mix somewhat restricted.it has zero impedance sensitvity at any frequency which even for mastering gear is bizarre and highly unlikely.

That is probably adding to the softness but even driving the plugin really quietly there's still something overly smeary and smooth about the EQ itself
I

Return to “Effects”