KVRist
210 posts since 27 Apr, 2018

Post Thu May 07, 2020 12:12 pm

I just know, that VSTs from

-Kush Audio
-SSL (the original)
-Slate Digital

need a dongle.

All pretty nice. But beside that I not really needed it I dropped the Gobbler subscriptions because of the dongle prerequisite.

KVRAF
3743 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Thu May 07, 2020 12:38 pm

So there aren't that many iLok dongle-only plugins left, are there? Can we make a list?

Liquidsonics - Seventh Heaven Pro
Kush Audio - UBK-1, Gold Plate, Electra DSP, Hammer DSP
Slate - everything?

Soothe 2 doesn't need a dongle. I don't think the SSL ones do either?
https://solidstatelogic.zendesk.com/hc/ ... ne-or-iLok

What about Sonnox?
Edit: Oh it says "most" are no longer dongle-only...
https://sonnox.freshdesk.com/support/so ... d-an-ilok-

KVRian
707 posts since 2 Sep, 2019

Post Thu May 07, 2020 12:48 pm

Slate is ditching the dongle for subscription customers.
But not those of us who outright own them.
THIS MUSIC HAS BEEN MIXED TO BE PLAYED LOUD SO TURN IT UP

KVRAF
1641 posts since 14 Sep, 2004 from $HOME

Post Thu May 07, 2020 3:06 pm

Dombaeb wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 1:43 am
Thank you, guys.

I'm interested in plugins that use strict iLok dongle authorization and don't allow software authorization. Like early mentioned Seventh Heaven Pro.
I’m pretty sure practically all plugins that are protected by PACE offer the dongle option, as that has always been the main protection method. System authorization was added much later and then ilok cloud.

KVRAF
3743 posts since 26 Nov, 2015 from Way Downunder

Post Thu May 07, 2020 4:52 pm

Add to list: Sly-fi plugins, all require dongle. Not sure if they deserve attention though as I've never used them.

KVRian
942 posts since 16 Jan, 2018 from Portland, OR USA

Post Thu May 07, 2020 5:12 pm

Oh yes... House of Kush... top of the line!
“In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded.”

KVRAF
15238 posts since 16 Sep, 2001 from Las Vegas,USA

Post Thu May 07, 2020 5:52 pm

jochicago wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:09 am
Exponential Audio, particularly with Phoenixverb currently being $10
https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... erb-Stereo
From the Pluginboutique product page:

"A FREE iLok account & Licence Manager is required to authorise this software (a physical USB iLok is not required).​

That being said for $10 I might explore Phoenixverb since I already have the iLok License Manager installed.
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
1006 posts since 26 Feb, 2018

Post Thu May 07, 2020 6:14 pm

I spaced out on the dongle part. AFAIK Exponential Audio in general and for sure McDSP 6050 don't require the dongle.

I have a lot of iLok plugins but don't have anything that requires a dongle, and frankly haven't seen that many anymore that require the dongle, and of those even fewer that drew my attention, if any.

KVRist

Topic Starter

479 posts since 7 Dec, 2018 from Saint-Petersburg

Post Thu May 07, 2020 6:43 pm

Thank you so much for replies! :hug: It looks like not so many really good plugins require an iLok dongle (actually, not a single for me). I can't realize adequate benefits in using only dongle authorization for developers. iLok device authorization was never hacked, there are none of the plugins which use it on torrents or somewhere else.

I contacted Liquidsonics developer and he said: "it is purely a matter of policy and risk management. Pace advises that computer based authorisations are less secure and has explained to me why that is the case, so I have chosen not to enable the facility. I do enable it on other products as a matter of courtesy because they make less of a financial contribution to the company so I am willing to take more risk with those. "

What "risk"? I said him, maybe, Pentagon hackers can hack computer-based authorization a little faster than the dongle, so that is the risk we talking about? :dog:

Pity that now I forced to buy dongle just for one plugin because it's really good...

KVRAF

Post Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 pm

Of course Pace would say the Dongle is better protection. Don't they make money from the sales of Dongles ?

I've said it before if Pace would just include a few small but nice plugins on their Dongles then maybe people wouldn't feel like they're paying for nothing but the privilege of protecting someone elses intellectual property when their own IP created with those same plugins can't be similarly protected.

I'm not paying extra just because you can't out code the crackers...... :shrug:
None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free. Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

KVRian
763 posts since 19 Oct, 2017 from The Empire State

Post Thu May 07, 2020 8:21 pm

robotmonkey wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 2:28 am
No plugin that uses Ilok deserves attention.
F
A
L
C
O
N
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

KVRAF
3639 posts since 17 Dec, 2009

Post Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 am

I started using iLok for two plugins: Soundtheory Gullfoss mainly (since i already had it and they switch to iLok), and soon after Pulsar Mu.
Right now my iLok account occupies 4 plugs, Gullfoss, Pulsar Mu and Smasher, Eventide MicroPitch.

I mainly set it up (beside Soundtheory) for Softube plugs, but i haven't gotten any yet :(

I have TWO iLok accounts.
My oldest account tied to the dongle is the one i bought with protools v11. I now use that account solely for ProTools V11 when i need it (rarely) and for DEMO licenses.

I use the new account ONLY for licensed plugins.
it's very easy to have it setup this way. This means my iLok Manager is extremely clean when i remove demos and everything is very clear.

Edit:
as far as dongle vs machine activation goes, PACE is insane. If machine activation doesn't work, they shouldn't sell it. (it works tho, i don't think anything iLok has been cracked on mac for YEARS)

KVRist
210 posts since 27 Apr, 2018

Post Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 am

Teksonik wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 pm
Of course Pace would say the Dongle is better protection. Don't they make money from the sales of Dongles ?
I am shure, their business model is more relying on fees from the developers using their system.

BTW, I asked myself, what is the business model from them, and how much they charge from companies, using it. Does anybody know?

KVRist
177 posts since 12 Feb, 2015

Post Fri May 08, 2020 6:08 am

Daimonicon wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 6:08 am
It does something other plugins can't do.
As long as the name isn't "tbproaudio dseq"

KVRAF

Post Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 am

SamDi wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 5:47 am
Teksonik wrote:
Thu May 07, 2020 7:26 pm
I am shure, their business model is more relying on fees from the developers using their system.

BTW, I asked myself, what is the business model from them, and how much they charge from companies, using it. Does anybody know?
You're sure but you don't really know. Got it. :tu:

How much do you think they pay for their Dongles in bulk ? Five bucks apiece ? How much do they sell for ? So yes there would be a financial incentive for them to promote Dongles over the soft Licenser.

What percentage of their income they derive from Dongle sales no one but Pace can say...... :shrug:

Return to “Effects”