Swanky Amp (release 1.4.0)

VST, AU, etc. plug-in Virtual Effects discussion
KVRian
1289 posts since 8 Jan, 2003 from Edinburgh

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:33 am

Hi John, I never played around with a Rat, but looking online that's quite feasible and sounds good.
I just mentioned it because it uses diodes to ground on the outputs - so would compliment the Overdrives you mentioned - plus it's very "Rock and Roll" (as opposed to Heavy Metal) ;)

<Mr expert here - after reading lots of posts about pedals on The Gear Page>
I think a lot of fuzz pedals are very simple 1 or 2 transistor circuits. :mask:
John Braner
http://www.soundclick.com/johnbraner
and all the major streaming/download sites.

KVRist
397 posts since 3 Jun, 2017

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:04 am

garrinm wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 am
I've never heard that in practice
It's not the newest trick on the planet, but it's quite helpful when a bit more gain is involved, or single coils.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoGub4qpvCc&t=161
Confucamus.

KVRAF
3410 posts since 3 Jan, 2003 from Vancouver

Post Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:40 am

garrinm wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:37 am
I want to add at least one good fuzz pedal, any in particular you enjoy? I'll have to look into emulating an octave pedal, I wouldn't want to put something together that sounds overly surgical / digital, but I'm not sure how the analogue circuits function. What I'm saying is I'm not sure how long it'll be before I get an octaver out.
Hoo boy, there are so many options out there.

I used to love combining a Big Muff with a BOSS OC-2, but that gets you extra low tones. The real deal "octave fuzz" apparently comes from "full wave rectification using diodes to 'fold up' the negative part of the waveform to make a new waveform an octave higher in pitch." The Hendrixy octave fuzz (thanks to Roger Mayer widardry) goes octave-up.

To be honest, probably a very low demand for this but it doesn't hurt to ask.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

KVRist

Topic Starter

188 posts since 26 Sep, 2019

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:56 pm

Another quick update: things are moving along well. I just had to make another pass on the UI (mainly to clear a backlog of technical debt). Here's a bit of a peak at the new pro version UI. Feedback is appreciated as always :). Some details will change, and one thing that's incorrect right now is the read out values from the dials (they will be like the old UI from 0 to 10 or showing the actual number like stage and input / output dB).

Garrin
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
3068 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:40 pm

Spontaneously: looking at it as it's presented here, against the very light background, I think that it needs more contrast. If you put it against a dark background, I guess it's OK. But some people like a light DAW GUI.

My monitor is the 5K iMac 2019.
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

KVRian

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:42 pm

Interesting! I think it looks good. Black is better than white (for me anyway)
Pre amp is a little different - Overhead and Low Cut combined in to "Filter"?

EDIT - OK, maybe the black could become a dark grey - just in case the DAW background is very dark black...
John Braner

KVRist
62 posts since 17 Mar, 2008

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:30 pm

I like it, especially the knobs. (Reminiscent of MeldaProduction Neon(?) theme which I've admired.)
The "flow-chart" is a nice visual, I remember an early mock-up I did had this feature.
I don't find the relative contrast an issue but I appreciate that everyone's monitor is different :)

KVRist

Topic Starter

188 posts since 26 Sep, 2019

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:10 pm

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a quick try with a bit more contrast. Anyone want to weigh in on which they like better?

EDIT: made a few versions just to get a better spread. Maybe anyone interested can just indicate which they prefer (number them 1 through 4).

swanky-amp-pro-alpha-0.1.0.png
swanky-amp-pro-alpha-0.1.0-contrast-1.png
swanky-amp-pro-alpha-0.1.0-contrast-2.png
swanky-amp-pro-alpha-0.1.0-contrast-3.png
jbraner wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:42 pm
Overhead and Low Cut combined in to "Filter"?
Very observant xD. I am experimenting with overhead merged into grit as I found I didn't really every use them independently. It might make it a bit easier to find the right amount of "bite".
prodigal_sounds wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 2:30 pm
I remember an early mock-up I did had this feature
That's right! Months ago that was, that's always stuck in my head. I've had a few comments asking what the signal path looks like. I know for most users this will be obvious. But for some users less knowledgeable in guitar amps I think it'll help them understand the order of things which can help build in getting a conceptual model of what happens when you twirl the knobs.

Garrin

EDIT: yes the meter contrast actually went down, because I find it distracting if those bars are too visible as they are constantly moving around. Otherwise everything got a *bit* more contrast (not too obvious).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

KVRAF
3410 posts since 3 Jan, 2003 from Vancouver

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:24 pm

The higher contrast looks better to me. 2nd-to-last is my personal preference.
the old free version may not work boots successfully on new generations of computers, instruments, and hardware

KVRist

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:51 pm

# 3 please, the best one. For me. With my monitor.

KVRist

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:54 pm

@Garrin, How do you feel about possibly swapping the positions of the "Tone Stack" module and the Waveform Display ?

vom
KVRist
219 posts since 19 Oct, 2006 from Matlock, UK

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:42 pm

#3 looks the best to me too. Very much like the design and colours.

KVRist
415 posts since 12 Mar, 2013 from Russia, Vladivostok

Post Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:21 pm

prodigal_sounds wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:54 pm
@Garrin, How do you feel about possibly swapping the positions of the "Tone Stack" module and the Waveform Display ?
good point

KVRian

Post Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:17 am

I like 3 and 4.
John Braner

KVRAF
3068 posts since 18 May, 2003 from Sweden

Post Thu Dec 17, 2020 1:27 am

Number 4 looks good to me, even against the white background. ;)
If it were easy, anybody could do it!

Return to “Effects”