No love for Crave EQ?

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I checked youtube ... only one video from a spanish guy? How can that be? Someone should ask the developer to send some free copies to some influencers like that snake-oil-guy? That should boost it's attention.

I dont agree with some of his reviews but he seems to be a nice guy with a lot of followers ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4eLQIjver0

I demoed Crave Eq some time ago. Wasn't that impressed. My go-to is DMG Equilibrium.
More BPM please

Sorry for going off topic maybe, I found Acon Digital Equalize quite great, it's also very underrated, probably overshadowed by ProQ, it doesn't do as much of fancy things on paper, but it's quite easy to get great results quickly when you utilize key commands because it's affecting every parameter on the fly (there's no additional menu diving), so you can just find the right frequency and fine tune it in mater of seconds, get the perfect "musical" curve, I went with VSTAnalyzer and tried to get all those SSL, Neve, API and etc emulations against it and it nailed every single of them curve vise, you can really fine tune it, that's the thing, close your eyes and just get the thing you need.

There are quite a few of these "Fabfilter alternatives" EQs out there now. LVC Toned-MAX and Hornet Total EQ come to mind (both quite affordable and capable). Slate has released Infinity EQ (overpriced in my opinion) and I think there are a few others.

So, it's probably hard for any of these competing products to gain the same attention and reputation that Fabfilter's "original" already enjoys, even when the competing product is just as good technically?

Crave EQ sounds much, much better than Pro Q, in my opinion...Just try them side by side and let your ears be the judges.

RafaelMorgan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:40 am Crave EQ sounds much, much better than Pro Q, in my opinion...Just try them side by side and let your ears be the judges.
Better in which way, they are trying to be transparent, so better means less transparent or what?

dionenoid wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:18 am I demoed Crave Eq some time ago. Wasn't that impressed. My go-to is DMG Equilibrium.
230 Euros for an equalizer :o What makes it better than Crave EQ or Pro-Q? The UI looks a bit dated and sound-wise I cant imagine that there is much difference.

Kazi7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:34 am There are quite a few of these "Fabfilter alternatives" EQs out there now. LVC Toned-MAX and Hornet Total EQ come to mind (both quite affordable and capable). Slate has released Infinity EQ (overpriced in my opinion) and I think there are a few others.

So, it's probably hard for any of these competing products to gain the same attention and reputation that Fabfilter's "original" already enjoys, even when the competing product is just as good technically?
Hornet Total EQ looks interesting. I'm a big fan of Multicomp Plus MK2 ... has a tricky sweet spot sometimes, but it's an amazing compressor :love:

RafaelMorgan wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:40 am Crave EQ sounds much, much better than Pro Q, in my opinion...Just try them side by side and let your ears be the judges.
When it comes to modern digital parametric EQs there is no such thing as one EQ sounding "much better" than the other, unless there are some serious flaws in the implementation of the DSP in one of them. I seriously doubt that this would be the case with Fabfilter's Q3.

Of course, there are some slight differences depending on whether you use linear phase or minimal phase mode and some EQs have cramping in the higher frequency (which can be noticable - not an overly significant difference though).

But to claim that one sounds "much better" is a clear overstatement. If you technically understand what an EQ does, you would also understand that there cannot be too much of a difference between two modern digital parametric EQs.

I can recommend this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HspZn-ZRjd0

audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:07 pm
dionenoid wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 11:18 am I demoed Crave Eq some time ago. Wasn't that impressed. My go-to is DMG Equilibrium.
230 Euros for an equalizer :o What makes it better than Crave EQ or Pro-Q? The UI looks a bit dated and sound-wise I cant imagine that there is much difference.
It's an older EQ that had more going for it than ProQ when it was released, actually it was even quicker than ProQ for every day work, for me big perk was having all those different hardware curves, it was hitting sweet spot of "last EQ you will ever need", but competition got stronger over time and now it's just an older EQ with old price, still great tho, try the demo, DMG Equick too, but you can make Equilibium as straightforward as Equick too in preferences.

Passing Bye wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:15 pm
audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:07 pm
It's an older EQ that had more going for it than ProQ when it was released, actually it was even quicker than ProQ for every day work, for me big perk was having all those different hardware curves, it was hitting sweet spot of "last EQ you will ever need", but competition got stronger over time and now it's just an older EQ with old price, still great tho, try the demo, DMG Equick too, but you can make Equilibium as straightforward as Equick too in preferences.
Equick looks good and the price is also okay. I will check it out. Thank you!

Recently in on some forum they did a blind test between 4 EQs. One of them was the $1000 thEQorange by MAAT Audio one of them was the free version of TDR Nova. It turned out that people favored the latter and actually disliked the result produced by the former. Of course very subjective, but a blind test after all.

Yes, Equilibrium - as most DMGAudio stuff, other than their more cut down down offerings with less insane amounts of tweakability - is mostly for people who want to tinker really deep with their equipment.
For those who do, they are probably unparalleled heaven. For most others those are simply overkill that can do more harm than good.
Get Crave and don't bother, Equilibrium is a tool solely for pros who could need some of it's features ocassionaly.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Kazi7 wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:13 pm
When it comes to modern digital parametric EQs there is no such thing as one EQ sounding "much better" than the other, unless there are some serious flaws in the implementation of the DSP in one of them. I seriously doubt that this would be the case with Fabfilter's Q3.

Of course, there are some slight differences depending on whether you use linear phase or minimal phase mode and some EQs have cramping in the higher frequency (which can be noticable - not an overly significant difference though).

But to claim that one sounds "much better" is a clear overstatement. If you technically understand what an EQ does, you would also understand that there cannot be too much of a difference between two modern digital parametric EQs.

I can recommend this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HspZn-ZRjd0
Interesting video, but as far as i know Cubase stock EQ's are not phase-linear, right? I can clearly hear a difference when I boost frequencies with Crave EQ or Pro Q (less distortion). Usually I dont use technical EQ's for boosting frequencies (only for lowering) but these linear phase eq's work surprisingly well in that case.

audiot wrote: Sat May 16, 2020 12:31 pm Interesting video, but as far as i know Cubase stock EQ's are not phase-linear, right? I can clearly hear a difference when I boost frequencies with Crave EQ or Pro Q (less distortion). Usually I dont use technical EQ's for boosting frequencies (only for lowering) but these linear phase eq's work surprisingly well in that case.
No, they are not phase-linear, but in most scenarios this doesn't really matter, especially not on individual instrument channels. It matters on busses and masters, since there it would possible affect negatively the phase coherence of the program material (eg entire song) altogether.

I don't work with linear phase stuff on channels, too much latency and CPU for my liking (I do composition and mixing in one stage, so I need low latency settings, so that I can play melodies etcetera via MIDI while at the same time mixing - so now CPU and latency hogs at that stage for me).

Return to “Effects”