Tape simulations for that mastering mojo.

VST, AU, AAX, CLAP, etc. Plugin Virtual Effects Discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Somehow i've always liked Nomad Factory Magnetic, but VOS FerricTDS was the king!

acousticglue wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm Turn down the treble = tape?
Sorry, I was thinking we were talking seriously here. If you've got nothing relevant to add, why provoking?
Sascha Eversmeier
drummer of The Board
software dev in the studio-speaker biz | former plugin creator [u-he, samplitude & digitalfishphones]

acousticglue wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 pm Turn down the treble = tape?
not in the slightest :)

Robmobius wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:06 pm Hello,

I've been using Slate's VTM for a good while now and I like it.
Slate is good and is more subtle then many of the others.

Personally, I find that using Tape simulations on the master buss degrades the audio more then I like.

Slate might be the exception.

CircuitEYE wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am Slate is good and is more subtle then many of the others.

Personally, I find that using Tape simulations on the master buss degrades the audio more then I like.

I must say, I find this surprising, as I avoid using VTM on the 2bus in most cases because of how much it "eats" high frequency content (as opposed to, say, Softube Tape or even Waves Kramer).

If I want Tape sound on the Master i use UAD Ampex or IK Multimedia Tape Machine Collection.
proud to produce warezless!
my Trap beatz:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4J14A ... -FzS9TNa2w

CircuitEYE wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am

haven't used satin then

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 4:10 pm
CircuitEYE wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:28 am

haven't used satin then
Or the IK tape emulations. Here's a track mastered using the IK 80. It's the last thing before the limiter:

https://soundcloud.com/musicofplexus/slow-boat-to-hell

i have trust issues with IK.
i'll demo them to see what all the hype's about
1176 and LA-2A were disappointing

I was thinking the other day about the elusive "sound" of tape and I wander how many people have actually heard REAL tape to the extent they offer their personal choices to others ?

It brings to my mind a scene from "MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE - FALLOUT" where the characters chase an illusive character named John Lark. on one side, there's a CIA team, and on the other - the IMF team led by secretary of defense. so if I were to paraphrase it, it would be something like that :
CIA rep: I have a team of users ready to grab <name-your-tape-emu-here> as soon as it leaves the developer's desktop.

COD [and team IMF] : Spend many hours we don't have to pull a sound we can't trust from a processor we haven't positively identified? No.

We need reliable intelligence, and we need it now.
I tend [and I mean :TEND] to rely [ie. find my reliable intelligence] on people who actually heard real tape vs emu's and make some [allegedly] informed opinion. at least I know they have SOME clue regarding the comparison [and as emu's and algos advance, we're likely to hear the extremely "disappointing" - and baffling - answer : "it's very good and sound extremely close/in the ballpark"].

But if 10 [or 20] processors are "very very close to the original, to the extent one can't tell them apart\we can't decide who's better" - will we actually buy them ?...

Just use the damn thing as a coloring mechanism... we can't assess it otherwise anyways. the "magic" (or - "mojo") happens (or not...) in our head.

I vividly remember Dave Grohl talking about "tape sound" (it was 2011 "Wasting Light") and hailing it as if it was to save the world from hunger. enthused, I rushed buying the disk (I wanted the original) and heard it. after I finished I was like "WTF... he enthused over THAT ??". there was no "magic" that >I< could speak of, no "mojo" and as a whole - nothing that made me feel as if I was on an MDMA cycle for 24 hours. just ANOTHER disc, another sound (and mind you, I - like most here - make music and experience TONS of processors. so I have at least SOME reference).

I was expecting to drool over "wasting light" with a stupid smile on face... but lo' and behold - I WASN'T (Dave Grohl enthused over the sound... but his technician had to bear a LOT of service $hit... and if I recall correctly, it was an EXCRUCIATING experience for him )

Tape (at least in the form of virtual processor) is just ANOTHER tool within our insanely-big-and-ever-expanding toolbox.

If the song is good they will come

Michey wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 pm I was thinking the other day about the elusive "sound" of tape and I wander how many people have actually heard REAL tape to the extent they offer their personal choices to others ?
friend had a TEAC in studio.
i had a garbage 1/4" RTR in mine that i sold (too much fuss)
i still have a decent cassette deck.

I recently put u-he satin against Studer on mix:analog, and preferred Satin. :wink:

Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 pm I recently put u-he satin against Studer on mix:analog, and preferred Satin. :wink:
I recently put u-he satin against L1 and preferred L1 :wink:
and yes I know its "only" a limiter...

Michey wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 8:44 pm I vividly remember Dave Grohl talking about "tape sound" (it was 2011 "Wasting Light") and hailing it as if it was to save the world from hunger. enthused, I rushed buying the disk (I wanted the original) and heard it. after I finished I was like "WTF...
funny thing is that THE ONLY album of FF I still can withstand is Wasting Light...an accident?? /I have heard them all in the past/

kvaca wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 8:46 am
Ploki wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:18 pm I recently put u-he satin against Studer on mix:analog, and preferred Satin. :wink:
I recently put u-he satin against L1 and preferred L1 :wink:
and yes I know its "only" a limiter...
uh okay.
i put L1 against a fresh Neapolitan style pizza and preffered the pizza.
and yes i know its "only" a pizza

Return to “Effects”